does anyone else really hate to say their name???

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

TheShining237
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2021, 9:53 pm

I don't like my birth certificate name because of when kids made fun of me because I didn't know when I was being talked to and it was common and it didn't suit me. And I did not like to be called by that name or to say it. I did not even like hearing it on the tv has the name because it made me feel sick and uncomfortable.

I now go by Shelley because I feel happy with that name and it's not common where I live at. And it suits me better. :D I like when someone says "hi, Shelley." And when I can say "my name is Shelley." I like to hear the name Shelley on tv also because it's the name of one of my favorite people :D

Last edited by TheShining237 on 17 Jan 2021, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 9:55 pm

I changed my first name legally.
I still don't like saying my name or having anyone else say my name, except my boyfriend.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 10:00 pm

People often mishear my name the first time, so I have to repeat my name and sometimes even spell it out until they get it. :roll:

Fun fact: My real name is not Josie, even though I have named myself Josie a few times on WP.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 10:15 pm

I don't like saying my name because I have a speech impediment and I usually have to repeat it. I don't mind hearing it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 10:32 pm

I don't like saying my last name. It doesn't match who I am on the inside. I feel more German Canadian than I do Anglo-Canadian.

Wisteria_Moon
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2021, 10:47 pm

I think I know what you mean. It's similar to seeing myself on video or hearing a recording of my own voice. It's surreal. I don't know if I'd say it's necessarily a bad feeling though.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2021, 11:02 pm

I always hated saying my birthname and hearing people call me by it, but I'm trans so that's why I hate it. Saying my current name is still really weird though.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 10:06 am

I don't like saying my name. I don't especially dislike my name, it just feels weird to say it. I also dislike it when people call me by my name. It feels weirdly personal for me. Like intimate or something, inappropriate or awkward, I dunno. I'm the same with saying other people's names to. I won't call someone by their name unless it's unavoidable.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

I like my name but I hide it from people.

Kerch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 10:24 am

I didn't realise it was so common. I feel the same way. It's akward and I'm not very fond of my name.

What I really imagine to be weird is to have somebody else with the same name as you. Having to say their name would feel odd to me.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 12:33 pm

Yes, I don't feel like it fits me plus I have a speech impediment that prevents me from saying it properly.

My Tumblr

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2021, 1:08 am

I didn't realize others felt this way too. I definitely don't like hearing myself say it and never felt like people were addressing me when they talked to me, except for my mom.

But in high school in Israel when people started calling me by my name in Hebrew it felt right for the first time. I dunno why. I'm fine when its in Hebrew but a lot of people where I currently live have a hard time pronouncing it. So most of the time I hear it in English, which just doesn't feel like it belongs to me.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2021, 2:17 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I hate to. It makes me feel all weird and creepy. I have a rather uncommon name, and the other day i saw a TV show, and the woman on it had my name, spelled the same too, (it was one of those makeover shows) and it made me feel sick to my stomach. and when ever someone said it it mae me want to cry.

anyone else like this??

YES!! ! I thought it was just me! I have, online anyway used nicknames for myself. Ceallaigh looks better than my given name but is it's origin. It areas where I want to preserve my privacy I use a name that is the combination of my first and last initials and my middle name. It's really quite pretty.

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

22 Jan 2021, 9:15 am

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I don't like saying my name. I don't especially dislike my name, it just feels weird to say it. I also dislike it when people call me by my name. It feels weirdly personal for me. Like intimate or something, inappropriate or awkward, I dunno. I'm the same with saying other people's names to. I won't call someone by their name unless it's unavoidable.

I'm the same way! Okay, probably weird to be excited about that, but I've never met anyone else that has the same thing. And by same, I mean 100%. I don't like using anyone's name at all, and it does feel … kind of like overly intimate, sort of? Not exactly, but "just doesn't feel right." I've never been able to explain it to anyone, myself included. I'm so happy to read this, to know I'm not the only one in the world.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 9:57 am

OkaySometimes wrote:
FleaOfTheChill wrote:

I'm the same way! Okay, probably weird to be excited about that, but I've never met anyone else that has the same thing. And by same, I mean 100%. I don't like using anyone's name at all, and it does feel … kind of like overly intimate, sort of? Not exactly, but "just doesn't feel right." I've never been able to explain it to anyone, myself included. I'm so happy to read this, to know I'm not the only one in the world.

Not weird at all. I'm pleased to hear it's not a just me thing too.