Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 6:23 pm

Jakki wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Abstract_Logic wrote:
Yeah, I'm trying to just avoid disagreeing with people who are generally on the same side as me. I can get nit-picky with relatively minor things that I feel like people are doing "wrong". This behavior seems to increase with my stress levels/irritability and also contributes to it. I don't know why I do this, but it's weird and hypocritical I guess because I get incredibly annoyed when my mom nit-picks at things I do. It tends to happen seemingly automatically, or like not within my immediate meta-awareness. Rarely if ever has it happened that I was able to stop and think "don't do this, it's not worth it".

A rule of thumb I've recently decided to use is: "If it's directly political / normative / tribalistic, avoid it, but if it's something you agree with and want to promote, like/share/RT it." This may not be the best policy, because maybe there are things that should be nit-picked at, but when I'm stressed/irritable my judgment is kind of impaired and it becomes harder to discern between "worth-nit-picking-at" vs. "not-worth-nit-picking-at". I suspect the nit-picking is just a stupid unhealthy coping mechanism that I might have implicitly learned from my mom growing up, I don't know. Or maybe it's a common unhealthy coping mechanism of my personality type.

Cotton pickin nitpikkers. And the like .

Uh...what?
just teasing ....... having fun with words .

Well I figured as much. I just don't think I get it.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD