Anyone else have trouble underatanding by hearing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Clara Brave
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm

So I was just having a convo with my father and the topic somehow went onto maths questions. I personally dont like maths but i wouldnt say im terrible at it, however when my dad was asking me times table questions I freaked and my mind was completly blank and couldnt answer simple questions like 2×8 or processing instructions, like I can answer the most of hardest equations on paper and if i get the instruction paper I can understand everything just from seeing pictures. Googled everywhere for answers or anything simular and couldnt find anything :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 7:59 pm

I'm not so good at responding to oral speech, either.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 8:19 pm

Mine, for some reason, apparently gets worse to a point I didn't understood what I said.

Although the intended words that came out are correct, what goes in my ears and into my head didn't.

But then verbal thoughts, thinking and learning are my weaknesses to begin with; auditory processing issues or not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 8:27 pm

I call it mindblank. I get that when I try to speak to doctors. It is like I have to back up and talk about something completely different to free up my mind. It is why it took me two years of trying to simply ask my doctors if I could be on the spectrum or not.

It is also why during a conversation or even while writing, I have to "Talk round the world and back" as I can never seem to go straight to the point. (Often I never get there!). I will keep going off at tangents as an automatic self learned mechanism to avoid getting mindblank if that makes any sense?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 9:16 pm

I always need an extra moment to understand what someone is saying, as if my brain somehow needs to translate (though I do largely think in words). I also for some reason need to repeat everything anyone says in my head in order to comprehend it, which makes it hard to keep up when people are talking. If there are other noises at the same time, it makes things even harder, or even impossible.

Try looking for “auditory processing disorder” and see if that seems familiar, that’s what I have.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 9:52 pm

I also have a hard time understanding oral information. I always have.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 2:51 am

I have trouble too.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:24 am

I often misinterpretate what I hear and read and have to reshuffle the information in my mind and re ask and re read things like instructions for example .. takes me a long time to often correctly get interpretation right. I usually try think like the person who is asking me to get an initial idea of the context conveyed. I have a bad tendency to put my foot in my mouth and say something dumb or offensive.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 3:27 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I always need an extra moment to understand what someone is saying, I also for some reason need to repeat everything anyone says in my head in order to comprehend it, which makes it hard to keep up when people are talking. If there are other noises at the same time, it makes things even harder, or even impossible.

That's very much me! I'm sure I'm not alone.. is it weird to say that I feel so normal on WP :) :D

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2021, 3:47 am

Danusaurus wrote:
I often misinterpretate what I hear and read and have to reshuffle the information in my mind and re ask and re read things like instructions for example .. takes me a long time to often correctly get interpretation right. I usually try think like the person who is asking me to get an initial idea of the context conveyed. I have a bad tendency to put my foot in my mouth and say something dumb or offensive.

I did that in an exam once, I combined two questions together so heck knows what the marker was thinking when they read my paper. Only found out once I completed the exam and people were talking about it. Luckily I still got a decent grade and the exam overall didn't matter long term.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2021, 4:01 am

Clara Brave wrote:
So I was just having a convo with my father and the topic somehow went onto maths questions. I personally dont like maths but i wouldnt say im terrible at it, however when my dad was asking me times table questions I freaked and my mind was completly blank and couldnt answer simple questions like 2×8 or processing instructions, like I can answer the most of hardest equations on paper and if i get the instruction paper I can understand everything just from seeing pictures. Googled everywhere for answers or anything simular and couldnt find anything :/

I went on a course and they said an autistic person generally takes 10 seconds longer to process oral information so others should allow that time to sort out that information in their head. Depending on how much information they can process its better to give the basic instructions on what you want the autistic person to do/know rather than a whole song and dance about it. So for a work example

"Hi Amy, lovely weather. I went to Manchester for the weekend with the wife for a weekend break. Can you do the tax returns I left on your desk? Mike and I are going to have lunch today. Also could you did the end of year for XYZ by noon. Thanks."

It would be easier to say

"Amy! Do tax returns on desk. XYZ end of year needed by noon. Thanks"

It takes less time to process and you got everything I'm needed to do and I personally don't care about the small talk which took place in the first conversation or that you sound rude in the second.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 5:09 am

Yeah, definitely.
My problems in this area seem to be getting worse, and not only the few seconds delay in understanding.
Sometimes I catch the first part of the sentence and then zone out and miss the rest.
My working memory is so bad I can't remember what was said if I don't write it down immediately.
And having two people talking at once or someone talking while there's background noise makes me feel like my head's going to explode.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 5:53 am

Where I have had big problems is when I am coming out of a partial or a full shutdown and I can ask to repeat but no matter how hard I try, even though I have heard what was said word for word, and memorized it, it does not make any sense whatsoever until it enters my long term memory (Which could take around 6 months or even years), and then when I recall it, I fully understand what was said. But then it is too late!
It is wierd because when the words were origionally said I know they are in english and I know them, but only one or two words make any sense? It is as if english is a foreign language to me at the time when it happens like that.

But normal conditions I am fine, though if I lot of information is read out to me I can get difficulties in processing it, because my mind works well in pictures so I have to form pictures in my mind to make sense of it, as if I can't form pictures in my mind, the words pass in through one ear and out of the other and I can't mentally "Catch" them. I can repeat the words word for word, but make no sense of them if I have not had time to think in pictures. But this is when I need to think about what has been said. It is why I am good at factual details where I can see in pictures what the words mean in reality.
I am also a great daydreamer when I was in school because I would need to dream up pictures into my thought patterns to understand what has been said which is probably why it took me longer then other people, but I would not go as far as saying 10 seconds longer... Except when there is a lot of infoemation being read out, so when I form pictures, I need to visually dwell on the pictures, and while I dwell on the pictures I miss everything else which has been said, and then I jump ahead to form the next picture in my mind... So I can miss out bits of information if they come as one long piece without any breaks inbetween it.
The breaks do not need to be long. Most people talking naturally foe breaks long enough for me to process...
What I find difficult to capture is rap music. The words come through too fast. It is a tallent to be able to do it... I can learn and give out like that, but to hear it it will take me a good few takes to get everything which was said. It is like a blur of rhythmic sound. However, some rap with some people I get every word and am fine with it.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:44 am

neurological testing at the time of diagnosis revealed not only 25th percentile visual processing but 35th percentile audio processing. That is very poor!! !

My hearing itself tests with a wider range than normal and is acute, I can hear sounds just fine, but when I hear words my ability to understand them is not processing correctly. No wonder I have been confused for most of my life.
I was repeatedly scolded for not paying attention, but try as I might I could not understand, and they said it was my fault for not listening! Nobody knew!
Sensory processing disorders big time affected almost everything in "real time" for me, and I never knew or understood how much I struggled until diagnosis.
It was not all my fault!! !!
Now so much of the past makes sense. What a relief!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 8:30 am

Yep. I can relate to a lot of what has been said in this thread. Internal delay, reorganize the words, other noises make it so hard, I space out as the words go on, crappy working memory... yeah. Sensory processing issues are definitely problematic in my life.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 5:39 am

I "hear" things with a delay. If I need to respond quickly I will ask again --- come to think of it that may just be buying time to hear the first utterance. During my AS evaluation it was noted my verbal reception (hearing) and recollection were well below my mental facilities, e.g. with visual input. My verbal expression (talking) is hit or miss --- I'm a fire hose of practiced information (or relaxed) but come up blank otherwise (or stressed).

My NT husband said something to me this morning. He was about 8 feet away. I was like "How am I supposed to hear you? I am eating cereal and the dishwasher is on behind you." Too much ambient noise. Could an NT have heard him? Before my ASD diagnosis, I was considering that I had poor hearing! Which I knew was odd b/c I can hear things my husband can't. His sneezes in particular are near unbearable, so how come I could hear the words coming out of his mouth?

Welcome to WP!