Seeking fresh perspectives from new WP members.

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2021, 5:00 pm

???
Not really sure what you mean, or what you want out of us. Please be clearer. Seems like a very strange post to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 5:12 pm

_cora_ wrote:
???
Not really sure what you mean, or what you want out of us. Please be clearer. Seems like a very strange post to me.

This.

The original post really doesnt make any sense.

She is saying "HEY...all of you people who are NOT out there and thus can NOT read this message...please respond to this message!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
My concern here is that doubt and cynicism here on WP too easily becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - which yields that cycle of negative feedback loops.

I have noticed you and Mona have tried to start threads like this one before and I have offered to bring in my perspective which has met (rather ironically) with negative feedback.

Two little pieces of advice (and I promise that'll be it)
1. There isn't a lot of NTs here, when one volunteers to explain things to you and Mona please appreciate that their intention to is pass a different perspective (not to cancel yours)
2. The persistent need to conflate autism advocacy with exclusively "HFA" is disingenuous and counterproductive. The people you are trying to attract are too busy to get involved in your projects or Mona's because they are too busy and have lives outside of this forum. Many regular posters on this forum wouldn't necessarily classify themselves as HF more like moderate functioning.

Again, the only WP discussion-threads which might relate to this thread are people on the Autism Spectrum who pretty-much live independently. Yet, even these discussions too often get lost in the shuffle, and hence easily are overlooked!

In order to curb confusion, and to encourage further discussions regarding the concerns of people on the Autism Spectrum who pretty-much live independently, a separate category may be necessary - the 'STICKY' designation on WP forums is an example.

Granted, people who are concerned about the Autism Spectrum are too busy to look at WP in-depth. Hence, all the more reason to put those important, yet overlooked topics in easily accessible categories.

Many here on WP are very receptive to read examples of just what is helpful in boosting independence - hence, such examples belong in this discussion thread!

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:16 am

Fnord wrote:
Since each of us is an individual -- the 'HFA' label does not mean we are all the same -- each of us should be treated as a unique individual, and not a clone-copy of everyone else.

^This. The HFA label not only makes me very uncomfortable, but I think its usage is a source of a lot of problems within the autistic community.

Fnord wrote:
each of us should be treated as a unique individual

Yes. Mental and physical health communities (particularly in the Western world) utterly fail when it comes to this approach. We are nothing but numbers, and if we don't fit perfectly within (often outdated) criteria, we are overlooked entirely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:42 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
... the only WP discussion-threads which might relate to this thread are people on the Autism Spectrum who pretty-much live independently. ...
Please define "Independent Living":

• Off the grid in a wilderness cabin or cave?
• An itinerant worker ("hobo") with no permanent address?
• A solitary hermit in a dwelling outside the city limits?
• A single person renting from her/his parents?
• A single person in her/his own home?
• A married person supporting her/his family?
• Other ... ?

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:17 pm

Flown wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Since each of us is an individual -- the 'HFA' label does not mean we are all the same -- each of us should be treated as a unique individual, and not a clone-copy of everyone else.

^This. The HFA label not only makes me very uncomfortable, but I think its usage is a source of a lot of problems within the autistic community.

Fnord wrote:
each of us should be treated as a unique individual

Yes. Mental and physical health communities (particularly in the Western world) utterly fail when it comes to this approach. We are nothing but numbers, and if we don't fit perfectly within (often outdated) criteria, we are overlooked entirely.

I understand, it's best to minimize the HFA label.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm

It is best to minimize the use of ALL labels.

We are not the labels placed upon us.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:35 pm

[quote="Fnord"]It is best to minimize the use of ALL labels.

We are not the labels placed upon us.
[/quote

Nouns are labels. None are perfect, and some are often confusing, but the approximations are better than no language communication.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:47 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It is best to minimize the use of ALL labels.  We are not the labels placed upon us.
Nouns are labels. None are perfect, and some are often confusing, but the approximations are better than no language communication.
The labels placed upon us serve only to categorize us as "Them" and "Those People" -- these labels set us apart as distinct from the "normal" members of the human species, and enable those who assign those labels to treat us as mere specimens of a dehumanized species of "Others".

Once a person becomes fully accepted as an "Other", discrimination against that person becomes easier and more insidious.

I am not the labels imposed upon me.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:30 pm

Point taken - best to avoid letting "labels" dictate our lives!

It's also important not to quibble too much; that is let's not fall into those seemingly futile exercises in semantics.

Let reassess the main gist and purpose of this discussion thread - minus the quibbling, labels, etc etc. etc!!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 4:51 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
... Let reassess the main gist and purpose of this discussion thread...
What is it this time?