What’s your strongest and weakest autistic trait?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2021, 12:13 am

For me my strongest and most distinctive trait is special interests. I’ve always had obnoxious special interests.

A trait I don’t really have is meltdowns. I have a bit of a temper, but it never looks like a meltdown. I guess I sometimes get shutdowns instead.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 12:34 am

Yeah all-consuming special interests. It's things like that which stop me from thinking i was misdiagnosed.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 3:59 am

I cannot say.

Strength? Unpredictability and fluctuations.
Weakness? Unpredictability and fluctuations.

:lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:25 am

strongest, I am good at "words", reading, writing, and comprehending the written word.

My worst weakness is poor audio and visual processing which allows me to understand almost nothing in "real time".

I do terrible in conversations, watching movies, plays, concerts, lectures, podcasts, radio, tv... anything that requires watching something or somebody move and listening to them is lost on me. I have acute hearing and corrected vision with glasses, but what I see and hear gets lost between the times I see and hear it and where it goes or doesn't go in my brain after that. I was told all my life I had "no excuse" for not doing better in family interactions, social interactions, school, jobs, etc. After I retired I finally learned of my autism. What a relief to know everything I failed at ( and I failed at everything ) was not "all my fault."

I am thankful I can read and write because without them I would truly be lost in all ways.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

GhostBoy_Kas
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2021, 8:06 am

Honestly, my most noticable trait would have to be lack of eye contact, stimming, and intense intrests
while my least (weakest) would have to be having an unusual tone of voice & playing in an unusual matter (i played differently but I didnt line stuff up in the traditional sense)

_cora_
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2021, 9:12 am

Hmmm... I guess my strongest trait would be special interests? I could talk about the Interest forever. I could look at the same picture of the Interest for a while and not get bored. People ask me about my hobbies, so I say 3d modelling, though really all that involves is taking parts and putting them together to make the Interest seem more real. If I told people that my hobby was the Interest then they would probably be like "that isn't a hobby" or nod awkwardly. I also hate it when relatives ask me what I have been doing, because I have to use every ounce of my brain power to not start talking about the Interest.
Now interest doesn't even seem like a word anymore. :lol:
Idk about my weakest trait. Something I can't relate to at all is inappropriate facial expressions. Which is strange, because I physically couldn't smile till after Kindergarten I think. But now, people can tell anything about how I feel by my face. (Which is sometimes overexaggerated by me for comedic purposes) Considering I create avatars and scenes with plenty of emotion, I don't think I have trouble with facial expressions at all.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:00 am

Whether autistic traits or not
Strengths:
If I think I can do it, I will succeed, no matter how hard/complicated it is.
If I'm into something, I can be at it for days without much food or sleep.
Weakness:
If I doubt that I can do it, I will fail.
I tend to suddenly lose interest in projects before I finish.

/Mats

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 11:33 am

I guess the strongest one in me is hyperfocus. The weakest is probably repetitive or unusual use of language. But I haven't taken the trouble to look through any comprehensive list of ASD traits, and the above is just a quick stab at answering the question.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2021, 3:30 pm

Strongest is my doing my Special Interest, which as another has said, are not interests at all, but more.

Mine are commanded demands, quite unshirkable.

Weakest is my doung spelling, puctuation and grammer phonetically, or worse substitited approximations.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:14 pm

My strongest trait is overanalyzing and worrying about things too much (if that is an autistic trait?) Also my lack of friendships despite being sociable.

My weakest trait is probably meltdowns. I'm prone to panic attacks and getting emotional when stressed or depressed, but it doesn't present the typical autistic way. When I'm having a meltdown I just cry but can still communicate effectively and I don't stim. In other words my meltdowns are more NT-like.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:20 pm

My weakest autistic trait is howling on the subways.

My strongest is when I am able to get myself into a "hyperfocus" state, and find answers to questions which other people are grappling for. This doesn't occur often enough, though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 4:28 pm

I'll have to list a bunch for strongest:

- Wanting to be alone and no interest in social gatherings
- No eye contact / very limited wooden expressions
- Sensory Processing Disorder (extreme - misophonia, photophobia, smellophobia, textures)
- Restricted Repetitive Behaviours (stimming, BFRB)
- Very low nonverbal IQ (face blind, Aphantasia, and general NVLD)
- Alexithymia
- Special interests with extreme hyperfocus
- Infodumping and poor self-monitoring
- Meltdowns and shutdowns
- Weak verbal communication (selective mutism) and difficulty expressing empathy
- Making inferences and seeing social patterns
- Flexibility (assessed at 1st percentile for Adaptive Functioning)

Weakest:
I'm actually not sure?
Maybe the fact I have strong cognitive empathy, but I think that's normal for ASD
I don't mask very well either -- not sure if that's considered a strength or a weakness

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2021, 11:00 pm

I've kind of gotten mixed up as to what strongest and weakest mean in regards to autism. But I'll try.

The strongest trait I have is lack of imagination. I couldn't do pretend play as a kid and I still can't do it now. I'm in a Star Trek Adventures role playing group and I've had difficulties with it. To the point of being embarrassed when I can't come up with a scenario for my character.

I know that many autistics have great imaginations and can write fiction, etc. But everyone's different I suppose.

Weakest trait would have to be lack of meltdowns. Haven't had one for two years. I'm glad because they're exhausting.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 1:15 am

The strongest trait I have is probably restricted interests. I'm not really sure what the weakest trait I have is.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 7:12 am

For me, this would vary. It all depends on what is or isn't going on in my life.

Right now, it's most obvious that I have executive functioning issues, sensory problems, inability to handle change/stress well, and a need for huge amounts of alone time to recover from life in general. I haven't been really functional for the last month or so because I got too stressed out. It's a good thing I'm on disability or I would be screwed right now.

I'm not sure about least obvious. A lot of people here are mentioning intense interests. I don't know if it's that I don't have those or if the interests I have don't interfere in my life. As stated, I am on disability, so if I spend eight hours a day doing a thing, it's not disruptive in my day-to-day life. But I certainly have never become an expert on anything, so it seems like my interests are definitely less intense. That or I'm just not retaining information well. That is a real possibility.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 7:44 am

strongest trait is meltdowns i am very prone to meltdowns

weakest is sensory issues i dont think a have sensory issues except i dont like dogs or fireworks