Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2008, 7:08 pm

Odin wrote:
Sounds like the obsessive compenent of OCD, wich consist of ego-dystonic (thoughts you don't want because they are disturbing, distressing, etc.) obsessive thoughts. I have the same problem.

Really, I just thought it was a failure to concentrate somehow... Is there some way of ignoring it or getting past it, so that it's not so prevalent?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2008, 7:08 pm

Complex wrote:
I have had the same negative thought everyday upon waking for the past four years. It's fading, but at a painfully slow rate.

Dare we ask? 8O

MBlokzyl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2022, 7:43 pm

Oh man. All the time. I will have like a short practice conversation in my head but just keep repeating it over and over. It really serves to overstimulate me mentally and if I can’t get hold of it I will have insomnia and my mental state will just completely deteriorate.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:59 am

I have these kinds of concentric thoughts as well.

Wreck It Ralph

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 4:55 am

sartresue wrote:
Concentric, eccentric topic

I like your graphic. It looks like a target, as in a dart board. If you want to be creative, and problem solve, you could imagine your thoughts on that dart board (I am a visual thinker) and think of the main thought as the centre one. This is the thought you wish to concentrate on(concentric, get it?). All other stuff you send to the periphery and the main central thought gets worked on first. Then the other stuff works its way in to the centre. But you must concentrate the centre thing first.

Always do the tiny central stuff first, and the bigger stuff (outer circles) will sort of shrink and be dealt with. This is what I do, literally.

I know you have ADD but I taught my first child (NT with ADD) and she used this approach and now she has no residual ADD problems. (She is 34, average intelligence and a city bus driver.)

I hope this helps, pls. :)

I think this is brilliant, had never heard this concept described like this (concentric thinking) nor the coping tool that you use. I can't create images in my mind at all due to aphantasia, but I can understand how this would be so helpful for those with visual thinking!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson