Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Lizzie60
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2023, 7:45 am

I usually have a meltdown before I attend a family gathering. The pressure if social interaction is just too much and I never feel welcome.

How do I politely decline without causing offence ?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 8:28 am

It depends on how understanding the family members are, and how important it is for you to keep them sweet. You might find an excuse (such as illness) useful.

Family gatherings can be very uncomfortable, so I can see why escaping from them is worth a try.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 8:53 am

The best way to decline is to simply decline...etiquette doesn't demand you provide an explanation, In fact its rude for others to ask.

If its a formal event like a wedding, send your regrets promptly, and send a card or a gift as you see fit. For a casual event, you can say something like. "I'm sorry I can't make it, but perhaps we can get together in the future" and leave it at that.

People often make way too much of trying lie or make up elaborate excuses, but there is no need. Most people know when they are being lied to and will be hurt or offended more by the lies than you not being able to attend (and rightly so).

Lizzie60
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2023, 9:59 am

Thankyou and you are correct, it is okay to decline !