Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2023, 11:17 pm

markitzero wrote:
Elgee wrote:
Hey Markitzero,

I clicked your blog link and may I suggest something? You have green text against a black background. This isn't very read-friendly. Perhaps use white or yellow text for more of a contrast? Or if you need it to be green, how about a really really light green?

Try now I changed it a little. The style I am trying to do is like a old terminal computer.

That's way better; easy to read now.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 11:07 am

Elgee wrote:
markitzero wrote:
Elgee wrote:
Hey Markitzero,

I clicked your blog link and may I suggest something? You have green text against a black background. This isn't very read-friendly. Perhaps use white or yellow text for more of a contrast? Or if you need it to be green, how about a really really light green?

Try now I changed it a little. The style I am trying to do is like a old terminal computer.

That's way better; easy to read now.

With the revised colors I copied the color palette from the Fallout 3 terminal, Fallout 4 was Black screen and green text.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 9:26 pm

I recall being asked where I wanted to sit outside a restaurant and completely frozen looking at the hole-ridden and solid, round and square chairs and tables... trying to figure out which was the least offensive combination.

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2023, 10:20 pm

SharonB wrote:
I recall being asked where I wanted to sit outside a restaurant and completely frozen looking at the hole-ridden and solid, round and square chairs and tables... trying to figure out which was the least offensive combination.

Did you have a really bad reaction to this or was it was fairly mild?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2023, 7:35 am

For me it's all about the number of stress factors. In this case it was manageable b/c I was with my Autistic BFF during our relaxation time, so my window of tolerance was fairly wide. I have a paper/wood aversion and when with my children (high stress) I can't use a paper straw or cup. Even when relaxed I avoid that texture as much as possible (albeit tactile, not visual). My meltdowns are typically freezes followed by crying jags. For visual discomfort I froze but was able to continue - my BFF and discussed the issue which is nice b/c she's a huge source of validation. When I watch action movies, I get a "high" from all the visual stimulation. A 10-minute "buzz" (feels like intoxication) afterwards. But that also happens at dinner parties, so it's probably just a stimulation thing in general.

ShamanQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2023, 2:01 am

-music that is loud that isn’t the kind of music I like
-balloons popping
-the Arthur theme song
-hunger ( I hate)
-smoke alarms

Suicidal_Vampire
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2023, 9:39 am

I don't even know if this is unusual, but it's not listed in most of the sites where I researched autism.
Literally just people talking.
It's too much processing, and I would rather just drown it out with my insanely loud music. And loud noises aren't too bad to me as long as they have a rhyme and reason, but like a crowd of people talking just drives me insane. If I'm not having a conversation (productive, not small talk), talking is just unbearable.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:32 pm

when I was in my 20s, my fave color was pink, but I had tooo much pink in my bedroom, pink walls & pink blinds on my windows & siding door, i hated it, I didnt want to live in my room anymore.my fave color is blue now, I also had pink on my body cuz of my Psoriasis. Unfortunately when my cat meows alot, non-stop, it can really hurt my ears. Same thing for her scratching my sheet.I can"t take it.

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2023, 9:24 pm

The sensation of wet wood is very irritating.

The feel of wood popsicle sticks against my tongue causes serious goose bumps. I get the same reaction from washing wooden kitchen utensils.

I've never heard of anyone else having this weird sensory issue!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 9:02 pm

bobert wrote:

The feel of wood popsicle sticks against my tongue causes serious goose bumps. I get the same reaction from washing wooden kitchen utensils.

That's exactly me. Just an hour ago at a school festival I kept the lollipop wrapper around the lollipop stick b/c I can't hold it directly. The restaurant Noodles has paper straws and cups and I just caaaaaan't. I also can't do wooden kitchen utensils if they any bit rough; I can do smooth solid ones.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2023, 9:01 pm

bobert wrote:

You have now - me.

I am also very uncomfortable with any form of clothing. I live nude at home. Unfortunately, I have to go out it public at times, so I have to grit my teethe and put clothes on

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2023, 9:13 pm

If I encounter an unusual, or unpleasant, or just strong odor, for the next day or few days, despite bathing, changing clothes, being in a different place, etc, I distinctly smell the odor again and again. When I have asked others present if they smell it, no one ever does, leading me to conclude it is an olfactory halucination. Does anyone else here have that happen? If so, is it frequent?

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2023, 9:38 pm

Campingbare wrote:
If I encounter an unusual, or unpleasant, or just strong odor, for the next day or few days, despite bathing, changing clothes, being in a different place, etc, I distinctly smell the odor again and again. When I have asked others present if they smell it, no one ever does, leading me to conclude it is an olfactory halucination. Does anyone else here have that happen? If so, is it frequent?

Absolutely. Odors that are based strictly on memory aren't unusual for me. Because of an incident over the Christmas holidays a while back, I smelled the same distinct odor every year during the holiday season for quite some time... based solely on memory.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2023, 10:19 pm

The smell of breath sickens me. I seem to be the only one who must fight the urge to GAG when I suddenly get a waft of foul breath at the gym. I can smell someone's breath 10 feet away. It's a radius around them. Nobody else appears offended. If it's bad enough I'll vocally respond with grunts and gags, not on purpose but as an automatic reaction. This doesn't happen with everyone near me; only on occasion, averaging one person per gym visit. But when it happens, it's BAD, and I mean B A D.

I see people closer to the offender and they have normal looks on their faces, as though they either don't smell it or if they do, it doesn't bother them.

I'll easily detect someone's breath when in casual conversation and it can be very distracting.

I know that the bad breath industry makes hundreds of millions a year, and bad breath is a huge deal in a modern society, as evidenced by fresh breath ads all the time on TV, and all sorts of online content about how to treat bad breath.

But am I overly sensitive? Anyone here feel the same way? I wonder if this is an autism thing. Covid has dulled my sense of taste, but my ability to smell bad breath from 10 feet away, and perceive it as exceptionally foul, has remained unaffected.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2023, 10:39 pm

I’m learning all sorts of new things today. Reading some of the sensory issues I can relate to that I didn’t realise were sensory issues.

Most of my issues come from textures of food. I love thick shakes, but can’t eat ice cream. Anything to do with nuts. Dried fruits etc. The list goes.

Visually I can’t look at a newspaper/magazine where some pages are folded over or under. It makes me feel sick. I’m the same as whoever mentioned lining up their carrots in a bag, or qtips in a box. I have to line things up. When I was a child I thought I could see atoms that things were made of, but perhaps it was a sensory issue back before I knew I was autistic.

Also, does anybody else get distracted by their feet when they are walking? I find that half my attention is on the sensory input coming in , leading me to miss important things like power poles, other people when I’m walking.

My other main problem is hearing voices in a room. If there is more than one conversation going on in a room, I can’t follow what is being said. Same thing with watching tv. I have to turn the volume up to drown out the birds, cars, wind, flies, factories etc. If I don’t, it’s just a mish mash of sounds.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2023, 11:15 am

DirkGently69 wrote:
I’m learning all sorts of new things today. Reading some of the sensory issues I can relate to that I didn’t realise were sensory issues.

Most of my issues come from textures of food. I love thick shakes, but can’t eat ice cream. Anything to do with nuts. Dried fruits etc. The list goes.

Visually I can’t look at a newspaper/magazine where some pages are folded over or under. It makes me feel sick. I’m the same as whoever mentioned lining up their carrots in a bag, or qtips in a box. I have to line things up. When I was a child I thought I could see atoms that things were made of, but perhaps it was a sensory issue back before I knew I was autistic.

Also, does anybody else get distracted by their feet when they are walking? I find that half my attention is on the sensory input coming in , leading me to miss important things like power poles, other people when I’m walking.

My other main problem is hearing voices in a room. If there is more than one conversation going on in a room, I can’t follow what is being said. Same thing with watching tv. I have to turn the volume up to drown out the birds, cars, wind, flies, factories etc. If I don’t, it’s just a mish mash of sounds.

Thank you -- I'm the one who can't stand the sight of long loose carrots every which-way inside a plastic bag when I fill up the bag at the store, and can't stand looking at qtips in disarray inside a box. When I reach in to grab some, I don't look. If there's a bunch on a counter, I must straighten them. They need not be perfectly all parallel with precision, but overall must be "straight."