Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 11:54 am

How often do you have difficulty falling or staying asleep?

How often do you sleep at work or school?

Besides home, where have you slept?

How often do you sleep somewhere noisy?

Can you sleep standing up or in a chair?

At work, sometimes coworkers sleep in chairs on lunch, break, or on the clock. Break room often loud and crowded. Home Depot hires convicted felons and customers often have the nerve to waltz into the break room. There is no way I could sleep when it is so loud. How do they do it?

How often do you have a sleepless night?

How often do you pull an all nighter and what were you trying to accomplish?

How well do you function sleep deprived?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 2:47 pm

Always, my whole life. I've needed prescription sleep meds every night for decades. I had a sleep study that showed my brain doesn't do the normal sleep / wake patterns on its own, so I need meds just like a diabetic might need insulin. I have apnea too, so I think that wakes me up.

Pre-meds it generally took me about three hours to fall asleep, and I'd wake up at the dawn no matter how much I tried to get back to sleep. I got about three hours of sleep per night, and none of it was Delta (deep restorative sleep).

Oh, another thing that helped is that I take ADHD meds now. They wake me up more in the daytime, so when they wear off I'm actually able to feel tired enough to sleep (with my prescription sedative.)

Never - I don't work anymore but I had such bad insomnia I just walked around like a zombie all the time.
I was so tired I could have cried.

Besides a bed at bedtime? No where.
I can't even nap on my bed. It has to be bedtime or my brain won't shut up.

I sleep only in a bed, with 33db foam earplugs.
I can't sleep without earplugs.
If my partner snores or puts the TV on I have to sleep in the other room.

Nope.

How do they do it?

I have no idea.

I'm lucky to get about 5-6 hours with my meds and earplugs.
I seldom have truly sleepless nights anymore because of the meds.

I stay up all night most nights because I like night.
I try to sleep in the day.
I've had a few all-dayers just from anxiety related to trauma, parenting, finances, etc.

My whole life is sleep deprived and my Global Functioning scores are very low.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 4:07 pm

My answers may vary due to recent changes.

Quote:

For most of my life, it was inconsistent. The factors can range between mismatch of biological clock, gut discomfort, disruptive breathing, psych issues to sensory issues.

Now it's just constant music in my head and yet to understand how I fall asleep again.

Quote:

So far? Very often.
I've been sleeping in classes since 3rd grade, and all the way throughout high school and college.

Even at work; but that's less intentional.
I fall asleep not only due to sleep quality issues, but also due to hormonal shifts and it's annoying.

Quote:

Other than work and school -- maybe around my grandparents' house, which is only across the street from my current house.

Quote:

Often enough. Either my house had to deal with live bands and nightly karaokes. If not at home, I've dealt with crowded and festive places and would fall asleep there if I'm really tired.

Quote:

Sure I could.
In fact, I would like to. To lessen hyperacidity and sinus issues.

Quote:
At work, sometimes coworkers sleep in chairs on lunch, break, or on the clock. Break room often loud and crowded. Home Depot hires convicted felons and customers often have the nerve to waltz into the break room. There is no way I could sleep when it is so loud. How do they do it?

My theory? Enough desire to sleep like deprivation and enough sense of safety/lack of degree of fear.

One needs at least both to fall asleep in places that are both loud and being walked on, at risk of getting your stuff stolen.

So if I were to sleep at loud places and at risk of getting walked on; I better not bring my phone, wallet, keys that will keep me up just to fall asleep in any public spaces...
Or be with someone I can really trust to watch my back and not let anything happen to me -- of course, this also means this person is also someone who doesn't judge and is willing to put up with me sleeping in public.

Quote:

For most of my life, very often.
One, was a major mismatch of my biological clock. Two, bedtime was a troublesome affair to me. Three, waking up was painful and I'd rather skip that.

These past months, It changed.
Quote:

Very often.
But not for work or school or any projects; but for binging media.
I had some form of addiction which is less true now.

Quote:

Before the age 24 or so, I can shrug the whole thing off, skip an entire day or so then go to school or work full time, no issue.

Then somewhat I couldn't. Why?
I had layers of problems before hand that happened to be chronically more painful than sleep deprivation -- and did not know it was fixable until years of dealing with such.
Whenever a layer was fixed, sleep deprivation and it's subtle effects became more notable.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

utterly absurd
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2024, 5:57 pm

Quote:

Always. My schedule has to allow 10 hours for sleeping because then on good nights I'll sleep 8 hours.
During the day, however, I'm very good at sleeping. Even if I slept well the night before, I can fall asleep all day.

Quote:

I can't usually do this very easily because there's too much going on around me, but I have occasionally fallen asleep at school when things are more quiet.

Quote:

I can't easily sleep outside of a bed (or couch) unless my tiredness reaches such an extreme degree I could sleep anywhere, which is very rare. The only exception is sometimes I can sleep in the car (not when I'm driving of course), but that's harder than it used to be.
Even if I'm in a bed that's not my own bed, I usually have trouble sleeping. But that's mostly because my bed is custom-made to accommodate my 10-meter-long body so if I'm in a normal-size bed my legs just flop right off the end.

Quote:

Never. This is impossible for me.

Quote:

No, except sometimes in a car.

Quote:

I have no idea. If I was exhausted I would have difficulty doing anything, but I don't think I could actually fall asleep in a situation like that.

Quote:

It's less common than it used to be. I eventually figured out that almost every sleepless night I had was the result of me forgetting to take my ADHD meds, which made it impossible for me to calm down and sleep. Since then I've gotten better about remembering my meds so it's a lot rarer now. But it's still common to spend a large part of the night awake.

Quote:

I don't think I've ever deliberately stayed up all night. I could probably accomplish more if I was nocturnal, but unfortunately my schedule can't work with that. Although sometimes I have eventually given up on sleeping because waking up after three hours of sleep is worse than getting up after no sleep at all.

Quote:

I used to be able to go through a whole day without even noticing I was sleep deprived. Now I can still do that if I'm doing things and active, but if I have to sit in front of a computer all day while sleep deprived, I will not get anything done.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2024, 6:25 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

a couple times a week. sometimes it takes a couple hours to fall asleep or i wake up and can't fall back asleep for a couple of hours.

fell asleep in the breakroom @ work 2x in three and a half years. some coworkers sleep in the breakroom every shift or so.

school

light sleeper, sound sensitivity

in a car, yes. otherwise, no.

i don't know. maybe it's natural and easy for them, and something i could never accomplish no matter what i do.

once every couple of months

never pulled an all nighter before, not even in undergrad. nothing accomplished.

even worse than with sleep, delayed reaction time, surreal, dissociated

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 May 2024, 8:13 pm

Frequently. Sometimes I will struggle to fall asleep for a while. Sometimes I will wake up early and not be able to fall back asleep. It's frustrating for sure. =(

Lol. I don't do that. Can't say it's always been that way, though. Back when I worked nights and tried to do college during the day, I literally could not keep myself awake sometimes. It was so embarrassing. I remember even nodding out in orchestra with my instrument in hand! :o

Aside from hotels and stuff like that... Buses, break rooms, etc.

I sleep with fans. I can't fall asleep with noises that I don't control, though.

Only when I'm extremely tired/switching up my sleep schedules too much, like the aforementioned scenario I mentioned in the second question.

Sleep deprivation. I nodded off in the break room at my workplace when I was doing both university and work. It wasn't something I'd ever do intentionally.

Almost never. I have nights where I lose lots of sleep, though.

Almost never. The last time I recall intentionally doing that was, again, during the time where I tried to work, commute, and do college at the same time. Finals week, I pulled at least one all-nighter (on a night I didn't work) to get stuff done.

Unless I'm to the point where I'm nodding out, I can function okay... As okay as I ever function I guess. :chin:

Michel Ardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2024, 4:11 pm

Every night, except when exhausted, since early in life.

Absolutely never. In fact, I didn’t even sleep during mandatory nap-time in kindergarten, which made teachers unhappy. Also stopped having naps at home very early. Two fun facts about this: one afternoon, they were chatting in the room and one of them was wrong on some fact so I spoke up to correct her (at age 5) and they were shocked; the same school year, I noticed that you could sleep as long as you want, even during the next lecture (they would let you on the mattress) so once I tricked them to think I was sleeping until recess.

Family, friends, and hotels. I never sleep in car and trains unless I am extremely exhausted and it would be involuntary anyway.

Not often but my apartment is more noisy than it should due to running heating water. It’s not loud, in fact people talk louder, but it’s constantly there.

Only in a car after a sleepless night (see above)

Sleeping in a loud environment is feasible if you’re really tired. I can’t get my head around sleeping in such an uncomfortable position.

It’s extremely rare. I don’t even remember the last time if it exists at all. I usually sleep for a few hours at worst.

I don’t think it happened more than once. It was in December 2003 during a school travel in 7th grade. We were going from France to Germany for a week or so and the kid next to me and I decided to avoid sleeping. Unsuccessfully thankfully.

Not very well. I’ve been sleep deprived for years but that means like 6 hours of sleep per night. When it’s less than 4, it’s really hard. I once had a business trip for which I had to wake up at 4 am to meet a colleague who would be driving us there and I got to bed at the normal time, which means way too late even on a regular day, I mean midnight or something. The meeting was hard to follow, Thankfully my input wasn’t really needed.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2024, 7:38 pm

Occasionally.
Sometimes I can't fall asleep in the first place for ages. Usually it's because my mind won't be quiet, but it can be hunger, lack of exercise, or inability to get physically comfortable. Also I tend to flog my intellect while I'm awake, and don't usually give it a rest during the hours before bed.

Sometimes I wake up after an hour or two and can't get back to sleep. Don't know what does that.

Sometimes I have "terminal insomnia" where I wake rather too early in the morning and can't go back to sleep. That seems more of a physical thing, can't get comfortable. So I get up early. It's been mistaken for an admirable virtue.

Never. There was nowhere comfy to sleep, for one thing. Nor would I have felt safe.

Hotels, friends' houses, in tents, on a train from Paris to Rome. Never on a plane. Never at an airport - they make sure of that by playing noisy ads every 10 minutes throughout the night, and I don't want my baggage to be stolen while I'm asleep.

I can sleep with fans and with mp3s of rain and thunder effects and pink noise - anything continuous, and it helps if it's my own choice. Intermittent sounds, no way.

I've only once slept without lying down, and that was after being unslept for about 48 hours because of a long journey. I was in a chair at the time.

I suppose they're exhausted.

Almost never. I nearly always get at least a few hours' sleep, and usually more.

Very rarely. I take a long-haul flight between the UK and USA twice a year, and can't sleep. It's a pain in the butt because they encourage sleeping by dimming the lights and letting passengers tilt their seats back, and I don't like having to wake the passenger next to me so I can get past them to go and urinate.

I function remarkably well but I feel ill - groggy and slightly sick. When British Airways screwed up my flight connection and caused me to be awake for much longer than usual, after I'd arrived home I was hallucinating. I kept thinking I could see people out of the corners of my eyes.

But it didn't debilitate me much. I described clearly to my family what was happening and hypothesised intelligently about why it was happening. My environment had been unusual for a couple of days, in that there were people all around me, which there normally hadn't been before because I'd been living alone for months with very little company. So I'd had to be alert to the approach of strangers in case they banged into me or wanted to say something to me, etc. Afterwards it took some time for the hypervigilance to wear off, and my brain was trying to go into sleep mode, which is when you get dreams, which are hallucinations. It wasn't scary or anything, just repeated momentary impressions in my peripheral vision that there was a figure sitting on a shelf or in some other strange place.