Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 4:17 pm

One in two children with ADHD experience emotional problems

Cambridge scientists have shown that problems regulating emotions – which can manifest as depression, anxiety and explosive outbursts – may be a core symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

In research published in Nature Mental Health, the team found that as many as one in two children with ADHD show signs of emotional dysregulation, and that Ritalin – the commonly-prescribed drug to help the condition – appears to be less effective at treating this symptom.

ADHD affects around one in 14 young people under the age of 18 and in around half of these cases it persists into adulthood. The condition causes problems including hyperactivity, impulsivity and a difficulty to focus attention.

It has become increasingly clear that some people with ADHD also have self-control problems, affecting their ability to regulate emotions. For example, one in 50 (2.1%) children with a diagnosis of ADHD also have a mood disorder, such as depression, while more than one in four (27.4%) have an anxiety disorder. Many also have verbal or physical outbursts due to an inability to regulate their emotions.

These problems were thought to be a result of other symptoms associated with ADHD, such as problems with cognition and motivation. But today’s study shows that emotional dysregulation occurs independently of these.

A team of scientists from Fudan University in Shanghai, China, and the University of Cambridge identified 350 individuals within the cohort who had high symptom scores that met the clinical cut-off for ADHD. Two-thirds (65.7%) of these were male.

Harmonie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2024, 5:01 pm

Emotional disregulation is certainly a problem I have, and I am ADHD. Although I notice that my meltdowns/outbursts tend to be connected to instances like my routine getting off, or some sensory input goes too far. The serious meltdowns I have had in my recent memory have all been one or both of those factors. Which has led me to think that's a potential autism trait. But I don't know, and can't know until I finally get screened. And it's interesting that emotional outbursts are also ADHD related.

TBH, the more I've researched ADHD, the more I feel like I fit some traits but not at all others. (for example, I am very good with being timely to everything, never had any problem with that and in fact stress myself about it to make sure I am always not only on time, but extra early! lol).

katebrownell86
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2024, 12:22 am

This study highlights a key aspect of ADHD: emotional dysregulation. This means difficulty controlling emotions, which can lead to frustration, anxiety, or outbursts. Researchers found this in up to half of children with ADHD.
The study suggests emotional problems might be a core symptom of ADHD, not just a secondary effect. This is important because it means treatment should address emotional regulation alongside focus and attention issues.

katebrownell86
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 May 2024, 12:24 am

You bring up a great point about focus in ADHD. While intense concentration on interesting things is common, ADHD can also affect focus in other areas. Difficulty organizing, planning, and prioritizing tasks, especially multistep ones, are all hallmarks of ADHD. The feeling of having multiple "channels" going in your brain can be like executive function struggles, where the brain impulses and manages tasks.

High IQ tests often tap into specific strengths that might not reflect everyday challenges. Talking to a mental health professional can help you explore these issues further and determine if an ADHD diagnosis applies. They can help you develop strategies to manage these challenges and leverage your strengths in daily life.