Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 May 2024, 1:52 am

When I'm tired I start rubbing my head vigorously. It's kind of like scratching but it's rubbing. Is this part of autism or is it something else? What would you call this behavior?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 11:50 am

Trichotillomania

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 11:52 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Trichotillomania

All of the internet sites that come up say that that is "hair pulling". Not "rubbing your head". He didnt say that he pulled his hair.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2024, 1:17 pm

Stimming.

mgurak
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 May 2024, 12:03 am

Thanks. Hmm, and here I thought my only stimming was tapping my head or thigh rhythmically with a 20 ounce soda bottle and (years ago) hitting the back of my head against a wall. I wonder what else I do that I chalk up to something else is actually stimming.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 7:05 am

do you do it for comfort, to help you focus. or to feel better somehow?
As others have said, likely a stim.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

katebrownell86
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 May 2024, 6:47 pm

Rubbing your head vigorously when tired is a common self-stimulatory behavior. This means it provides some sort of sensory input you find calming or focusing. It's not inherently linked to autism, though it can be a sign in some autistic people. If it's not causing you any problems or social difficulties, there's no need to worry. There's no single name for this behavior, but some people call it stimming or self-soothing.
As for your rock and roll hour, that sounds like a fun way to unwind! It's great that you can adjust the intensity based on who you're with. Having trusted friends to share those experiences with can make a big difference.