Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ntt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2024, 5:28 am

I've been thinking recently again about getting an Autism spectrum assessment (possibly autism + ADHD).

I ended up going to an in-person service done by a neuropsychologist. One of the reasons I went to see her was because he could do a pre-screening assessment. She recommended continuing to do the full assessment - she said in particular I should continue with an autism spectrum testing but also it would also be good to do an ADHD test. I had some uncertainties about continuing with her services - I felt she was asking some leading questions, didn't seem super empathetic and didn't seem that many years of experience. So, I ended up cancelling my appointment for the full assessment, but I haven't ruled out going back to complete the assessment.

Prior to this pre-screening, I spoke to my GP and she gave a referral for a place in Sydney called Very Helpful Chats and when I started researching the services I realized a couple of things:

* I realized that many of the people giving the assessment are neurodivergent - I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing? Perhaps having the lived experience of being neurodivergent helps you to understand these conditions better, but does it make you capable of accurately assessing another persons neurodivergence?
* The assessments are done online - I'm generally a person who is a bit anxious/avoidant and have a tendency to prefer things which are done online but I feel doing a face-to-face assessment may help to pickup on some cues which are harder in a video chat, e.g. eye contact, and possibly other non-verbal communication?

My GP doesn't seem that well educated when it comes to mental health issues and autism, so I take her recommendation a bit with a grain of salt.

In Australia the costs of getting an assessment are quite high (at least $1000), so I'm quite keen to get the testing done by someone who is competent and it is done in a way which is less likely to lead to a false diagnosis.

I'm currently thinking about if I should continue on from the pre-screening that I did, get an assessment at Very Helpful Chats or try to seek out a different service.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 9:55 am

I agree that an in-person assessment sounds better than an online one. The person doing the assessment needs to get a good sense of you, and I think that's better done in person. But an online assessment is not necessarily bad.

I think having a person who is ND doing your assessment is actually a positive. They would be more aware of what it's like to be ND.

But overall I think you should trust your judgment. If neither of these options that you laid out seem all that great to you, maybe best to keep looking.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2024, 3:04 pm

I think an in-person assessment is preferable. That way the the person doing the assessment can observe you better (eye motions, facial expressions, body-language, etc.)

I'm in the U.S. I was told that to get a formal diagnosis I needed a licensed psychologist (I assume a psychiatrist would've worked, too) who works with Autism (not necessarily exclusively, but they need experience). And the assumption was they would know if they could perform an assessment.