Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

Is it fairly normal if you have been looking at a computer screen for quite a while because you are commenting on forums for instance to have visual distortions? for instance one of the ads on the screen with a picture looked like it was moving but it was not really. And on occasion the screen seems to make weird sort of trippy movements(bad explination but not sure how else to word it).

Does this happen to anyone else?

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

No. What sort of medication are you on?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:42 pm

Yes, this happens to me sometimes. It doesn't bother me as I just put it down to some kind of optical effect caused by focussing on one part of a larger illuminated screen with images in my peripheral vision. If it bothers you, then you could speak to an optician and ask about spectacles or maybe coloured lenses to use when you're looking at a screen for any length of time.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:43 pm

Double post.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

SammichEater wrote:
No. What sort of medication are you on?

I am not on any prescription meds at all....but I do drink something caffinated and smoke ciggerettes daily, I smoke cannabis close to daily but realalistically more like every other day and usually not a whole lot just enough to take the edge off unless its the weekend and I am at my friends house or have a long time to myself at home then I actually get 'stoned'. And I drink....for the past few months I mostly drink on the weekends and on occasion may have a drink or two during the week.

But yes I have spent most of my time sober for the past few months, and these distortions usually take place when I am perfectly sober.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:50 pm

Yeah happens to me. Could have something to do with saccades (involuntary eye-scanning movements that are normally happening all the time) getting stuck in one direction momentarily from muscular overuse (from staring at the screen the same distance away from you for hours at a time) and... uh... can't figure out the rest of this puzzle but feels related to this.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 6:52 pm

Marcia wrote:
Yes, this happens to me sometimes. It doesn't bother me as I just put it down to some kind of optical effect caused by focussing on one part of a larger illuminated screen with images in my peripheral vision. If it bothers you, then you could speak to an optician and ask about spectacles or maybe coloured lenses to use when you're looking at a screen for any length of time.

Well it does not bother me that much......when I am just sitting on the computer, but this also happens when I am not using the computer which can be slightly bothersome. For whatever reason looking at the computer screen seems to make it more noticeable, but that is not the only time it happens.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 7:27 pm

It might be an ocular migraine. My optician mentioned it to me one time when I told him about experiencing flashing lights in my peripheral vision. The visual disturbances can be accompanied by headaches or nausea, but not always.

Maybe you should go for an eye test just to get it checked out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 7:29 pm

Sometimes, after net-surfing for several hours, I get a little dizzy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:16 pm

Marcia wrote:
It might be an ocular migraine. My optician mentioned it to me one time when I told him about experiencing flashing lights in my peripheral vision. The visual disturbances can be accompanied by headaches or nausea, but not always.

Maybe you should go for an eye test just to get it checked out.

hmm possible.....though I don't get a headache or nauseous, and its not really anything like flashing lights it's kind of like the sort of movement I would see if I were tripping on mushrooms or acid no I have not done either of those things recently so its not residual trip effects I am pretty sure but I have in the past and that is the best comparison I can think of.

as far as my eyes I am supposed to wear an extremly light prescription to help me see things that are further away, but I don't like glasses so its just harder for me to see the board if I sit in the back of the college class rooms.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:20 pm

Sometimes. It happens when I read, too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:21 pm

animalcrackers wrote:

It confuses me if I am trying to read, I like the words to stay in one spot on the page. lol

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 2:47 am

animalcrackers wrote:

Ditto on the reading
If its a bright white paper the letters appear to float and the white backround appears to have depth.

Optical illusions,... those pattern ones, either have no effect or is extremely apparent,, immediatly. I'm also not tricked by the ..Which one is bigger/longer? type.

Wonzling
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Sep 2011, 3:01 am

This happens to me sometimes. Rarely it is a beginning migraine aura but mostly it's simply a sign of tired eyes which need some rest from staring at the screen.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2011, 3:31 am

yeah, quite normal actually; there are some visual illusions that make use of this very effect.

it shouldn't be strong, often or fast though; consider turning your computers brightness down and/or take more breaks away from the screen...

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2011, 9:48 am

I have this to.

infact yesterday at school [i get a computer to use for school] i was looking away from my screen to watch the board and at the PC screen i saw a big black box in the corner of my eye so i look back at the computer screen and nothing was there.