Veteran

21 Jul 2013, 11:14 pm

Hot tube (valve) amplifiers

2-cycle exhaust, though not so much with castor oil

psblyaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2013, 10:50 pm

I know this subject is a little old, but I just wanted to say gasoline always smelled good to me... and the smell of creosote is awesome.

Creosote is used to treat railroad lumber, you can smell it on old railroad bridges. It smells similar to bitumen (fresh pavement) but so much better. :D

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2013, 10:53 pm

pheromones

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2013, 12:04 am

I've always liked the smell of kerosene.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:04 am

fenugreek and maca and cinnamon.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:40 am

Yeah. Probably to the point of it being a detriment to health. When I attended art school, most of the work was done with traditional materials. When you use things like conte and charcoal to draw, you need to stabilize the drawing with a clear coat spray lest it smear when it rubs against something. Really easy to ruin three hours of work from a class drawing session by just sliding the drawing into your portfolio case without spraying it first. Anyway, the most common spray is Krylon Fixatif. It is excellent for this application. And I love the smell of it. But it is also highly toxic and will cause health problems if you do not take care to protect yourself from the fumes. My actively breathing it in to enjoy the smell kinda not such a wise idea. :?

Painting and sculpture are equally bad. Many chemicals used in just everyday routine painting and sculpting.

Recently I have been teaching myself bicycle mechanics and of course there is an aerosol spray involved with that that I really like and will kill me. Teflon dry lubricant. Now, sure, you can use the non-toxic teflon chain lube sold in all bike stores. But you can get essentially the same thing, but more toxic, for a quarter of the price from a hardware store. The can it comes in has extra large warnings for poison, corrosive, and explosive/flammable. And it smells fantastic!

There was a particular brand of marker (felt pen) when I was young that was marketed to children in part for the unique smell each marker had. Don't think they can get away with that anymore.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:47 am

The smell of a brand new piece of electronic equipment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 1:49 am

the intoxicating smell of a new car.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 6:45 am

Sawdust. It reminds me of a church group I was in as a kid, we would carve cars out of blocks of wood, put wheels on them, and race them down ramps.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 7:44 am

i am quite partial to the smell of rotting dolphins. so much so, that i even considered starting a band called by that name.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 10:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
the intoxicating smell of a new car.

Can be bought in aerosole bottles 8)

IkkirBot
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2013, 12:03 pm

I CRAVE smells! Lol But mine aren't new smells - new car smell for example gives me a headache. I love old smells, worn things. Old, lived-in leather, records, books, clothes... Also when I like a person I love their smell to an extent I can't describe. The weird thing is, I find it gets better towards the end of the day. I like an edge of man-sweat. :oops: Not to a gross extent, just back to that natural, lived-in way. I'm always joking that I wish I could "bottle" these scents.
Speaking of smells, does anyone else get "mental smells"? You know, where you can smell something that's not around you... I'm just curious.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:17 pm

I remember back in the day, newly opened phonograph records had a certain smell that was a combo of actual aromatic release of vinyl combined with psychological anticipation of the music therein. but old rummage store records have a musty smell like somebody's basement. as for sweat, never cared for the stench. also never had any psychic smells, but I did get a psychic impression of heat several times.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm

all the things you listed and glue , snow, gas, markers, burnt marshmallows, leather, Ferret, new car, skunk, puppy breath

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Screenager
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

Chlorine. That has to be one of my favourite smells of all time.