Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 8:28 am

She sings very nicely.

Notwithstanding, all are welcome here.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 12:53 pm

I don't know that much about Susan Boyle or have heard much of her music, but I did know something about her past struggles, and yeah, she does seem like a sweet, nice person. :D

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

I like Susan's music.

And think she's both a celebrity and a regular person. :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 7:09 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think we should also tell people about Thomas Jefferson, Jane Austen, and Nikola Tesla. I mean, let's play our cards.

Or Albert Einstein, Sir Isaac Newton or Satoshi Tajiri

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2013, 9:40 pm

ITT: Post-mortem diagnoses without any solid basis. Sorry, I just don't buy the whole "Albert Einstein and other geniuses must have had autism." I can see why there behaviour in life might have lead to some speculation. But that still isn't an official diagnosis. Some of you look as though you believe these people were definitively confirmed to have had autism.

Anyway, I consider Susan Boyle's diagnosis to be good news. I'm sure it will help Susan within life and improve the reputation of Asperger's syndrome within the media. It will probably further convey the message that autistic people have the propensity to lead rich, successful lives.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2013, 10:05 pm

Everyone here is anonymous and she's had the diagnosis for a year, so it's entirely possible that she's already posted here...

But I'm glad she's made her diagnosis known to the public. Many like and empathise with her, so hopefully this will have a positive impact on people's views of AS.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 10:33 am

Welcome to our family, Susan! :D 8)

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 12:25 pm

Norepinephrine wrote:
ITT: Post-mortem diagnoses without any solid basis. Sorry, I just don't buy the whole "Albert Einstein and other geniuses must have had autism." I can see why there behaviour in life might have lead to some speculation. But that still isn't an official diagnosis. Some of you look as though you believe these people were definitively confirmed to have had autism.

Anyway, I consider Susan Boyle's diagnosis to be good news. I'm sure it will help Susan within life and improve the reputation of Asperger's syndrome within the media. It will probably further convey the message that autistic people have the propensity to lead rich, successful lives.

Most of the geniuses in the past were never technically diagnosed with IQs' in the genius range while they were living, but, they are still acknowledged as geniuses. Why is it so different for autistics?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2013, 3:28 pm

Not just that they had patchy social skills, good in some areas, not so good in others, and not just that he or she had intense intellectual/artistic interests,

But if we get into the realm where the person had sensory issues and he or she stimmed, then I'm a little more confident that the person was on the Asperger's-Autism Spectrum.

For example, the following is a post I made that the economist Adam Smith, yes, that Adam Smith, the author of The Wealth of Nations, engaged in light to medium stimming in public. Plus, it looks like Scotland was a more forgiving place to what's termed 'eccentricities' than are most places today.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt152005.html

Norepinephrine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2013, 6:31 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
Norepinephrine wrote:

Most of the geniuses in the past were never technically diagnosed with IQs' in the genius range while they were living, but, they are still acknowledged as geniuses. Why is it so different for autistics?

Because I think their areas of genius are more evident, apparent and ultimately world-changing than any autistic symptoms they might have displayed. They're known to people for the smarts that they exhibited and the achievements they made throughout life, not for having autism.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 12:09 pm

skibum wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
skibum wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Ooooh, she should join here! I want to tell her that I like her voice.
You should invite her. You can write to her agent and invite her to check us out. I am sure she would like that.

Given the number of WP members who attack other WP members, I think that would be a BIG turn off for Susan Boyle.
Perhaps, but perhaps not. She would be just as anonymous as the rest of us so no one would know who she is and she might find some comradery and much support here just like many of us have. And she is a regular person just like the rest of us. Just because she is a celebrity does not make her a super human being who can't relate to the rest of us or find friends among people who have common issues.
And we all make our own decisions which threads we want to participate in or whom we want to ignore or interact with.

Susan Boyle has had a lot to live up to, but I don't think its just the press and criticism over the years which have held her back, rather the fear of being a human being in the eyes of the famous, solicitous or few who have been outweighed and out numbered, never mind being far fetched from a few far flung individuals who support the far right.
As for being anonymous, I'm not entirely sure, we can all remain so and in terms of camaraderie, this can only be achieved through respect and cognitive factors which may us all human and a tad necrose from time to time, onlooker to onlooker, slumdog to millionaire. :roll:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 12:59 pm

someone who is rich and famous, believe me I'd take the money. Plus, I'd like my thoughts, opinions, etc, etc, to have more attention.

And if the famous persons says, well, it's not all it's cracked up to be, I can see how the rest of us might not give them the open listening they'd like.

I remember reading a story that this one rich play director always had people asking him for money and seemingly for very worthy causes and he had trouble saying no. So, he set up a system with his accountant. For a check to go through, it needed two signatures, his and his accountant. So, he would often give a check and tell people, you're going to also need my accountant's signature and good luck getting it!

I think famous people need a team they can count on and that takes a while to build. Heck, all of us could probably benefit from that. In the future, I'd really like to see self-run Spectrum resource centers, for example with vetted volunteers who can help me do my taxes, and call my insurance company for me, etc, etc, etc, and not merely lecture me that I ought to do it myself. That is, some of the same help I might receive if I was a rich rock star myself! :D

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2016, 1:21 pm

Mr_Nice wrote:
qawer wrote:
That story is quite similar to that of Elvis Presley, the best singer who ever lived. It's obvious he had AS.

The autistic mind can be great with music - it's all patterns, precision, details and sharp hearing.

What makes you say that Elvis had AS?

Or that he was the best singer who ever lived. :roll:

I hope he's broadened his horizons over the past 3 years. :D

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2016, 4:21 pm

Basso53 wrote:
qawer wrote:
That story is quite similar to that of Elvis Presley, the best singer who ever lived. It's obvious he had AS.

The autistic mind can be great with music - it's all patterns, precision, details and sharp hearing.

Or that he was the best singer who ever lived. :roll:

A narcotic mind is also great with precision and details. Sharp hearing has little to do with it.