what is the relationship between Schizophrenia and autism

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 4:51 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Rather than just provide the links, please could you give your view on the two papers.

I think it's worth to read at least pages 6-7 of the latter. Studies, research and science apart, I believe that the two basic conditions overlap fairly. My personal opinion is that milder or subclinical forms of schizophrenic traits go unnoticed in a much larger proportion of ASD people than indicated in the latter paper. The paper reflects only those appearing at psychiatric settings. Children and young adults with an ASD diagnosis might never go to a psychiatric clinic because they are treated at ASD-specific services (the mentioned "split"). On the other hand, according to the latter paper almost in all cases a co-morbid ASD is present in people diagnosed with an SPD. Furthermore, when mood is relatively stable (no depressive, manic phases) and psychotic symptoms are present (besides ASD), usually an SPD diagnosis is given, not ASD, due to the diagnostic systems they use (DSM IV-TR and ICD-10).
Quote:
The prevalence of delusions, hallucinations, and thought disorder in this sample is surprisingly high for ASDs. This may depend on the specific clinical settings where this study was performed, as it is more likely that more severely impaired patients with ASDs were admitted to this setting, compared to those attending centers for autism and developmental disorders. Regarding this aspect, one important caveat should be discussed. Diagnosing delusions in patients with ASD is difficult, because the often reported bizarre, absurd, repetitive and narrowly focused, ideas resemble, but are not qualitatively identical, to the typical delusions of psychotic disorders (Raja & Azzoni 2007). Furthermore, patients’ poor social judgment and theory-of-mind skills may suggest paranoid delusions (Deprey & Ozonoff 2009). Imagination and originality are common in AS (Frith 2004). Some patients with AS are able to coin original verbal expressions and to create imaginary worlds in words and pictures. They may also engage in extensive and wide-ranging imaginary activities or be particularly able to produce creative narratives (Frith 2004). To an inexperienced clinician’s eyes, those symptoms could be misdiagnosed as delusions. Similarly, the presence of disorganized thought in patients with ASDs is sometimes erroneously inferred due to the lack of reciprocity, presence of poor ability to maintain the main conversations topic, pedantic, idiosyncratic, and bizarre speech, which are quite different from the disorganized speech of patients with schizophrenia, but may be so inadequate to resemble tangentiality, incoherence, illogicality, and circumstantiality, therefore prompting for being detected as disorganized thoughts. However, in our experience, the detection of hallucinations is much easier and reliable since there is less ambiguity in patients’ report. Therefore, we are confident that “true” psychotic symptoms were present in our patients.

I just discovered that one of the typical schizophrenic traits, 'reference' could also apply to me, according to Wikipedia's definition of 'Ideas of reference and delusions of reference'.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:02 pm

Above I use SPD as a reference to all schizophrenia-related disorders (schizoid personality disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, childhood schizophrenia, schizotypal personality disorder), analogous to the spectrum approach of ASDs.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:42 am

OJani wrote:
(...) On the other hand, according to the latter paper almost in all cases a co-morbid ASD is present in people diagnosed with an SPD.

Nah, here I come again... I think I have to take it back (after I slept on it), this is an overstatement (and it's not in the paper). Nevertheless, people without an ASD diagnosis but with a schizophrenia spectrum diagnosis do have many of the ASD symptoms to some degree.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 11:27 am

OJani wrote:
http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/autism/autism-and-schizophrenia

http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/113458

These are magazine articles citing a variety of articles. Importantly, note that any given magazine story is simply interpretative geared towards an audience. Remember that there are innumerable amounts of available literature, which does not necessarily impart validity to any given opinion. Pretty much anything can be misconstrued - really don't know about the validity of these journals. Pretty much anybody can publish most anything in some magazine, which does not make it valid.

To note: The autistic spectrum if vast. I have a colleague/friend who researches Rett's Syndrome (RS), which is within the autistic spectrum. In no way shape or form does RS present even remotely to Asperger's! To make this inference would be silly at best. RS individuals, who die in early adulthood or sooner, are profoundly ret*d and present with serious respiratory trouble. My point is that one can pretty always find an exception, then draw erroneous conclusions based upon such contrived symptoms. But these are artefacts, not evidence.

Look, not to drive the point, but it well-established based upon years scientific evidence that schizophrenia and autism are independent and mutually exclusive conditions (with significantly rare exception). If one wishes to state their subjective opinion, offering their own anecdotal feelings, then that's one thing. But it's not scientifically reputable. Psychoanalysis can be babble, which does not address the neurological underpinnings of these two disparate conditions.

nomadder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Dec 2013, 5:30 pm

I can relate to what Ojani is saying about seeing the overlap between schizophrenia spectrum and autism spectrum.

There was a really interesting article I read earlier this year about the genetic overlap :
"Five major mental illnesses — depression, bipolar disorder, ADHD, schizophrenia and autism — are traceable to the same inherited genetic variations, according to the largest genome-wide study of its kind. "
http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/08/19 ... 58642.html

That article reported: "The overlap in heritability that could be attributed to common genetic variation was about 15 percent between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, about 10 percent between bipolar disorder and depression, about 9 percent between schizophrenia and depression, and about 3 percent between schizophrenia and autism."

ETA: this is a better article on the topic
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/healt ... .html?_r=0

My amateur understanding of this is there is a relationship but it's not terribly strong.

I agree that typical schizophrenia is different from ASD, in that I don't know any people with ASD who have delusions and psychosis and the disordered thought issues. But I can see how the negative symptoms of schizophrenia (flat affect and emotion, anhedonia, lack of desire to form relationships, and lack of motivation) and odd behavior could appear to others to be like ASD (at least outwardly). To the OP, this might be what your family are referring to - symptom overlap. Then there are always people who don't fit neatly into whatever diagnostic categories are being used at the time but are given a label anyway. It's hard to know what to make of labels and diagnoses in those cases.

AQ 23/50, EQSQ-R EQ 34 SQ 93 (Extreme Systemizer)