Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 2:28 pm

Scripts, also sci-fi/fantasy and crime fiction.

Protector88
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2014, 2:33 pm

Nice! I have always wanted to write but am to scared to start because there are just so many writers, what can I do that they cannot? I have been told multiple times that I write very good and I can write my feelings into the text. I can come up with good characters and stories. I have told a few to my mom and her jaw dropped to the floor.

Can you really make money in that business?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 2:44 pm

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
Eh, the thing is that I hope to be famous at writing or acting (probably writing) and I've never had any other goals. I haven't had luck being published yet but I did get a full manuscript request. I sent it a week or two ago and have my fingers crossed but who knows.

I think writing and acting are great goals----I've been a writer all of my life (stories, plays, poetry), but why do you, seemingly, need to be famous? Is it because you feel you'll finally be accepted? You must realize that that world is much bigger than your world, right now----and thus, opens you up to a MUCH bigger risk of being critisized. Look at the TONS AND TONS of websites dedicated to talking trash (put-downs) about celebrities. Now, if it's fortune you're wanting, you'll definitely get that----but, fortune doesn't bring "happiness", it'll only bring you "things"----and "things" won't bring you happiness, they'll only bring you momentary, fleeting pleasure. Happiness, unfortunately, has to come from within----and, MAN is it laborious, finding it!! !

Also, I don't think I like your therapist, from what you've described. If he / she is trying to rid you of your behavior----helping you find ways to cope / improve it, is okay----but, it sounds like he / she is trying to get you to "stop it, right now", and that says to ME that he / she doesn't know what's what.

A full-script request is VERY exciting!! !! I say: keep at it----you'll get there----and, when others seem to be putting you down, just ignore them----I know it's difficult, but "full steam-ahead"! !! I think "crime", and "sci-fi/fantasy" are COOL!! !

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 3:06 pm

"I had been having tons of meltdowns and my family and doctors had enough of it and told me to stop."

I rolled my eyes and made this face ":|". Doctors told you to stop? Wtfh? They should be telling your parents what meltdowns are.

Shutting down ISN'T good. I have had this and it always ended up badly. I always end up really messed up, have a meltdown after weeks, and then end up suicidal. You can't ignore it like this. I try to do a lot of stimming by myself instead of shutting down now. I just rock until I'm OK. Can you do this?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 3:22 pm

Protector88 wrote:
Nice! I have always wanted to write but am to scared to start because there are just so many writers, what can I do that they cannot? I have been told multiple times that I write very good and I can write my feelings into the text. I can come up with good characters and stories. I have told a few to my mom and her jaw dropped to the floor.

Can you really make money in that business?
What you bring that no one else on the planet can is yourself, your heart, your experiences, your unique perspective. You are the only one who can do that. And there is always going to be someone somewhere who will be able to relate to what you write and find a commonality with you or be moved by what you have written. That is the beauty of being able to write.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2014, 3:27 pm

Girlwithasperger's don't seek fame. Fame is simply a biproduct of something else and can be good or bad. It can help you but it can also hurt you. If you seek fame you will be most likely disappointed and hurt in the end. But if you have a genuine love for your craft and you seek excellence in it and you do it because you love it you will not be disappointed. Even if you don't become a famous or "successful" writer, if you love to write just because you love it you will always find pleasure in it. If you do it in order to become successful you may hinder your own development and progress. The best work is always done by someone who does it out of the sheer love and enjoyment of it. That is when you really put your heart into it and that is when masterpieces are created. I have a feeling you do love writing because even though people have shot you down you have managed to keep at it and have had a great milestone already with the manuscript request. That does not happen to everyone. So I really believe that you will do well.

Wreck It Ralph