Why don't you just? Complex Way or the "Simple Fix"

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 12:59 pm

I think what it comes down to is sometimes people just like to tell other people what to do. It makes them feel superior, like they are in control of things and have more knowledge than you do.

When you have your own definite ideas about how to do something, and you are following your own will, it just automatically triggers some people to become as*holes. It's like waving a red flag at a bull. They feel like they need to assert their own knowledge and their own will over yours. It doesn't have to be something they care about it. The subject at hand could be totally meaningless to them. They just want to feel like they have control over something.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

01 Aug 2014, 1:45 pm

dianthus wrote:
It's like waving a red flag at a bull. They feel like they need to assert their own knowledge and their own will over yours.

You're absolutely right - this is exactly how it felt. It's like sometimes words pass my lips and it flips a switch in them, and from there on out, nothing I can say can turn it off again. They've gotten a signal that they think I'm a target and they're going in.

It makes me think that considering complexities of situations might be perceived by them as weakness and therefore target material. It looks stronger to brashly state a simple fix. So it might be that someone unsure of themselves is trying to use that brash behavior as a way to come off as superior and strong, where dealing with the actual complexities makes them confront unknown issues.

And dealing with those uncertainties maybe feels like weakness because they don't have enough security inside of them to walk in areas where they don't have all the answers. They attack others who think about those things and feel they'll open themselves to attack if they did the same.

So the root of it might be an insecure identity and threat of loss of control.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 12:21 am

voleregard wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502: the fact that aspies see the sets of details I think is a major part of the struggle for me. It may be appropriate in some situations like a scientific investigative situation where I could be sifting through a lot of complex processes and it is an asset to have someone whose mind can (and wants to) follow all the detailed threads. But it seems that in everyday life, where I'm just trying to fix basic problems, my mind goes on that "scenic route" of following all the possible threads of a problem, instead of just seeing the main point of it and addressing it to fix it.

My horrible experiences at gardening work is making more sense now, too. I was out there with the mindset of a botanist or a horticulturist, examining, detailing, testing, and all they wanted was the crops grown and picked. Simple and straightforward.

Another example was at a garage sale. I had a broken guitar and someone was asking about it even though I was just keeping it there for someone who had already bought it.

Some movers had crushed the body and forced the top wood away from the body. I told the guy (who was with his girlfriend) what instrument techs had told me, that it wasn't repairable, but that I was always considering that I could put wood glue on it and do a reasonable fix, even if not a complete repair. And I added that I just hadn't gotten around to it because <here comes the details that make other people angry> I needed to get wood clamps to hold it correctly while drying, since the edge here is so thin, it would be hard to hold the join? and the guy got practically livid with me.

He was in his early 20's and the scorn and derision on his face was what I meet with often in these situations. "You don't need to get wood clamps, just get a vise to hold it down while it dries and it'd be fine." It's that attitude that "it's not that big of a problem, don't get all fancy about it, dufus" - it's almost verbal assault. I felt I was being attacked by this guy at my garage sale because of how he was acting toward me.

Never really sure how to respond in those situations, because he could be right, it could be a simple fix, but he doesn't know and I don't know, and the girlfriend he's trying to impress by attacking me doesn't know until I actually try it whether it is that simple or not. So I don't understand why running alternate scenarios in my head about what I'd need to do is such an issue with other people. OK, so I'm making it complicated. But I don't even know this guy - why does that matter to him? What is it to them? I could say pixies are going to be fixing it next week with Atlantic ivy and buttercup lotion - what do they care?

A lot of people don't really understand the idea of taking something broken and fixing it instead of throwing it away. My current laptop, an older Alienware, used to have cooling issues, and the graphics card started acting up at one point. Most people would have junked the entire thing, but I actually went out of my way to clean it out, modify the cooling system for better airflow, and even hack the bios on my graphics card to run underclocked. I've modified and removed other components as well, namely the keyboard and DVD drive, and the whole thing looks like hell from all the "battle damage" it's taken, but amazingly it still works quite well. The screen works well, it doesn't crash, and I can even play games on here without any problems.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2014, 1:59 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
A lot of people don't really understand the idea of taking something broken and fixing it instead of throwing it away.

For some reason, I like seeing mechanical and technical gadgets get a renewed lifespan. I'm not into computer repair work as intensely as you describe, but I was really happy to successfully replace the logic board in a G3 iBook. I did that back in like 2007. It still works great, and I mostly use it for writing documents and listening to music with iTunes. And recently was even able to plug into the net through its Ethernet port and set up the email accounts to work. I keep trying the wireless, but I think the AirPort wireless card is protocol 802.11g and isn't able to process the signals currently used for wi-fi.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

voleregard wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
A lot of people don't really understand the idea of taking something broken and fixing it instead of throwing it away.

For some reason, I like seeing mechanical and technical gadgets get a renewed lifespan. I'm not into computer repair work as intensely as you describe, but I was really happy to successfully replace the logic board in a G3 iBook. I did that back in like 2007. It still works great, and I mostly use it for writing documents and listening to music with iTunes. And recently was even able to plug into the net through its Ethernet port and set up the email accounts to work. I keep trying the wireless, but I think the AirPort wireless card is protocol 802.11g and isn't able to process the signals currently used for wi-fi.

I'm a little bit surprised your wifi card doesn't work, as wifi adapters are supposed to be somewhat forwards compatible. Anyhow, it's pretty cool you managed to get that thing online. Are there any modern browsers available for PPC, or are you stuck with old ones. Not that you'd have to really worry about people writing malware that will run on PPC anymore. :P

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

I feel like I've hijacked my own thread.

I'll pm you on the computer issues...

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2014, 5:49 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
I experience problems both ways. But, either way, my way of seeing the problem and solving it often baffles others.

Sometimes, I can summarize a big idea or problem & solution in one sentence and people then try to retell me about the complications. In these situations, it is because I saw a pattern and was able to use that pattern to summarize and quickly solve the problem.

Other times, I get bogged down in all the little details. Usually, when I get bogged down in these, it is because I am concerned that one little detail will mess up the whole thing. When someone tells me the answer is simple, I don't believe it because I need to know *why* each and every single detail I thought about does not make a difference. If someone is willing to explain how the details do or do not matter, I feel more settled about their solutions. It would take me more time on my own to sort through all the details.

^This, I have differences in both directions.
Unintentionally, just by how my brain works, I "complexify" the (seemingly to others) simple, and I simplify the (seemingly to others) complex/complicated.

Someone else might see ten things as being different-yet I might consider all those things to be variations on the same theme, with negligible distinctions.
Someone else might see ten things as being the same-yet I consider them to be far more complex and varied, not easily reducible or put in single category.

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2014, 10:52 am

voleregard, your original post had me crying with laughter. It's so true! You've described something so familiar, with more skill than I ever could.

voleregard wrote:
They see the 5 minute solution, and not the 30 it takes for me to take care of all the fallout of their simple fix.

voleregard wrote:
And they kind of sneer at you like they're thinking, "you idiot, anyone can see this is the fastest, quickest way to fix this." Or if you do it their way, and run into a major problem issue that they didn't mention, they'll say, "everybody knows you can't do this without?" and mention something obvious that supposedly the whole world knows you have to do first before doing the other thing they wanted you to quickly do.

Yes! I see this all the time. This is why projects always over-run and cost more than intended. This drove me crazy when I was employed. If my boss asks me how long something will take, suppose I say '2 weeks'. He looks at me like I am mad and says '2 weeks? Just for that?!' and I say 'No not just for that thing, but for all the investigation, setting up, testing...' Boss says: 'Well we can't tell the client it will take two weeks. It sounds crazy to spend 2 weeks on that one little thing. I'll tell them 3 days'. Then, surprise, after 3 days it is only just started. So the boss is on the phone to the client making up lies about why it is not finished, and everyone is stressed. No matter how many times this happens, no-one seems to get it.

NT's think they are seeing the global picture but no, they are just seeing a small set of the biggest most obvious details, and ignoring the rest. It's a delusion. And they dare to patronise us about it!

I work for myself now - best decision I ever made .

voleregard wrote:
(edited subject line: it let me type it, then truncated. hmmm.)

Are you by any chance a programmer?

anomie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2014, 11:08 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
and even hack the bios on my graphics card to run underclocked.

Underclocking! Respect!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 7:06 pm

anomie wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
and even hack the bios on my graphics card to run underclocked.

Underclocking! Respect!

It's helped me squeeze a lot more life out of my GPU. Sadly, it's starting to glitch out a bit again. :( At least it's not as bad as it used to be. I might have to underclock it further.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 10:14 pm

Belfast wrote:
I "complexify" the (seemingly to others) simple, and I simplify the (seemingly to others) complex/complicated.
Someone else might see ten things as being different-yet I might consider all those things to be variations on the same theme, with negligible distinctions.
Someone else might see ten things as being the same-yet I consider them to be far more complex and varied, not easily reducible or put in single category.

+1

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2014, 10:18 pm

anomie wrote:
NT's think they are seeing the global picture but no, they are just seeing a small set of the biggest most obvious details, and ignoring the rest. It's a delusion. And they dare to patronise us about it!

+1
Communicating information, as in the plain facts with no distortion or deception is NOT the NT way.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2014, 3:37 am

anomie, Glad I had you laughing:)

anomie wrote:
Then, surprise, after 3 days it is only just started. So the boss is on the phone to the client making up lies about why it is not finished, and everyone is stressed.

To me, it almost seems like they know on some level it's irrational, but they almost want the drama of it, and decide to go that route, anyway. I'm not explaining it well, but it's like they'll set the stage for a challenge, so they can see how well they can negotiate between the developer timeline (the realistic) and what they promise the client (the fantasy).

They know, or must know on some level, that the two won't meet seamlessly, and there will be chaos, but there's a challenge in a management mindset of how to make them work out even though ? oh, it just occurred to me? resume fodder.

Like: "Reduced estimated production time of AMT Project by 35%." Know what I mean? I wonder if they're always thinking that by just pressing harder they can get a reduction in production time and have a time-savings or some sparkle to add to their accomplishments list on their resume.

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2014, 3:41 am

anomie wrote:
Are you by any chance a programmer?

I have at times written code. Most recently to generate reports from a database. Along the conceptual themes of this thread, I seem to have a talent for finding elegantly inefficient ways of accomplishing simple tasks. If this was a marketable skill in the industry, there's a chance I might be a programmer today. Alas, this is not the path to blissful program releases.

It rather seems to upset people that I can't see the obvious simple way, for algorithms to find prime numbers and all that. And I've wondered at why, because even though my way isn't straightforward, why should it upset them that my "scenic route" solutions are just the way things look to me. Sure it takes up more memory, but if I'm not getting it, don't get mad, either figure out a better way to explain it or just kick me out of the class. Geez. Oh, forgot for a second that rationality cannot prevail. I'll get it eventually <sarcasm alert>.

I wanted to learn to program computer games, and tried to teach myself C (or C+?) on the Mac (can't even remember the name of the language - that's how well it sank in), but learning programming from a book is evidently beyond my grasp. The creative ability programming provides is appealing. So I know some of the concepts, methods, and terminology, but not something I do as a profession, which I think is what you were asking about. I took the long way round to say that I program, but don't have a job as a programmer. How's that for inefficiency?