Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Exploronaut
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2014, 10:51 am

nyxjord wrote:
If, like the name of this website suggests, we have been transplanted to the wrong planet, what would our home planet look/ be like? What kind of landscapes would it have? What kind of climates? How large would it be? How many countries would it have? What would the people be like? What would the culture and society be?

I would assume that it would have a climate relatively similar to Earth, since we require earthlike conditions to survive. I imagine a lot of big, colorful crystals sticking out of the ground and out of mountains, plants like the the rainbow trunk eucalyptus and a moon that looks like Jupiters moon Io(these things are just for the sake of estethics)

The part about how the society on this planet would be has got me wondering: Would a population of induviduals with different kinds of asd ever invent the consept of war?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

Dark brooding forests with thick canopies to shade us from the noonday sun.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

Cool, cloudy, and wet. Lots of trees, lakes, and animals. Fewer cities. The buildings won't be horribly ugly and will have dimmer lights; the people in them will be quiet and considerate. My house is soundproofed. Government helps people instead of making their lives harder and less affordable. There are no drugs except for alcohol; the others are icky and unnecessary. Maybe marijuana in pill form for medicinal use.

No rap music, anywhere, ever. No Twilight series either. We're very careful about what we import from the NT world. And last but not least, hot Asians. :)

Exploronaut wrote:
The part about how the society on this planet would be has got me wondering: Would a population of [individuals] with different kinds of asd ever invent the [concept] of war?

We would probably use all drones and robots, and only against each others' drones and robots. For entertainment if nothing else. It's far less stressful than going to war in person, and best of all no one would die. :lol:

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 9:26 pm

We'd have carefully mapped out areas for enjoyment of specific things. That way if someone doesn't like it they don't have to ruin it for someone else. When I watched the Twilight marathon in theater it was a great time. I doubt everyone was equally a fan, no doubt some went just so they could say they did or were dragged there... but for the most part it was fans. That made it pretty comfy. Some people were even in their pajamas since it was an all day event. I absolutely loved it. People have insulted both the series itself and my enjoyment of it and no matter what I say they continue to do so. But man that day was just wonderful.

So we'd have theaters that celebrate certain things, like having a fan marathon of a series, and if you don't like that series you simply don't attend or talk about it. And there could be clubs for every interest, whether it's motorcycles, American Girl dolls, or anything else you could think of. Like safe zones. Anyone who is unsure if they like something would have to go into that safe zone showing respect. Then they can leave if they don't want to be part of it. With easy to understand rules it would be a much better world.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:58 am

Is it really the planet that we live on that's the problem or is it the inhabitants a.k.a the 'NT's" that are the problem, Because it sounds like to me that we all want a planet like earth, except without the NT's living on it. Is that right?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

nyxjord wrote:
If, like the name of this website suggests, we have been transplanted to the wrong planet, what would our home planet look/ be like? What kind of landscapes would it have? What kind of climates? How large would it be? How many countries would it have? What would the people be like? What would the culture and society be?

The question leaves a lot of room open for speculation. However I will make an attempt. Climate and landscape wise it would be a lot like Earth. However architecture would probably include considerations to be more suited for people on the spectrum. There could also be many shop who carter to special interests and less tendency for mass ware houses like wall mart, except for maybe groceries.

Government laws might be enforced more strictly, alto there might be a smaller police force because rules are better followed. This follows that it might be low crime. The number of countries and form the governments of those countries take would be speculation in my opinion. Same could be said for culture, alto there might less mass-events that can be overwhelming for people on the spectrum.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 11:09 am

Gardens - it has to have gardens, all sorts of different gardens with creeks and other water features.

Maybe I could get a job as gardener there :D

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 11:30 am

LupaLuna wrote:
Is it really the planet that we live on that's the problem or is it the inhabitants a.k.a the 'NT's" that are the problem, Because it sounds like to me that we all want a planet like earth, except without the NT's living on it. Is that right?

Well, I mean.. not explicitly. It's just that our world would be more adapted for individuals like us- optional activities, climate and sound controlled homes, lots of gardens etc etc. So.. it would not be on purpose that the world would not be made for NT's.. but the point is that we often feel like we are not "from" this world.. so the point of this post is that if we were to consider it, what would our "home" world be like? The point is: where would individuals with AS, imagine when they think of the place where they belong and where they come from? The question has nothing to do with NT's.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:41 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Prisoners instead of being put in isolation will but put in a replica of a crowded 1970's disco

Wouldn't that qualify as cruel and unusual torture?

:lol: :lol:

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

Lots of nature! More "liveable" cities, calmer, smaller, with not so many sounds and colors and lights. Probably "smarter" cities, with more efficient systems and more organized public services. Parks and trees and rivers and animals in the cities. Lots of pets like trained dogs, horses, cats etc.

Not as stressful. jobs with greater autonomy, probably more focused on inventions and research or goals (for instance, they tell you exactly what needs to be done and you do it your way, no social games or group work, no implicit instructions, direct and simple and autonomous). Less need for social contact.

Machines that do the time management and organizing; and house work for us.

Stores that sell specialized objects for sensory pleasure. I would love that! Also the buildings and work places would have quiet rooms you can go to whenever you want to get calm or restore your energies or be by yourself. Could be rooms with objects for sensory pleasure, for instance, everyone in the workplace can have a special part of the room for themselves and they put their own pleasurable and calming objects in their space and can go there whenever they feel stressed or like it.

Networks based on special interests, like lots of clubs, seminars and activities based on people with common interests.
Already sounds like paradise to me!

Last edited by linatet on 12 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 1:19 pm

Everywhere would have 24 hour room service catering to every conceivable taste and always the ability to place a "Do Not Disturb Sign" on your door.

There would be lots of different kinds of drugs that make you feel good but are not addictive nor have any harmful side effects.

Virtual reality would be fine tuned and individualized to such a level that anyone can walk into "Their own world" at will and stay as long or as short a time as they like and do anything their imagination can dream up.

Everyone who wants a nice and well trained dog and/or a nice and well trained horse can have one.

Excellent A/C and temperature control would be an absolute must and of course plenty of hot water.

Frankly, I would need maid and laundry service. If you saw my place - you would understand why.

Plenty of people who like to talk about the same things I like to talk about.

There would be lots and lots of really great toys ranging from antiques to the most technically advanced.

Plenty of Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

- Albert Einstein

CryingTears15
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

Definitely a conversational structure centered around discussion of one topic for a long while before switching to the other person's topic. Maybe a more personalized industry, people focused on making goods and services related to their own interests in addition to more mediocre jobs and giving money to those who specifically looking for their products and services. Which leads into how they might just have small houses. If they are lucky and have those very interested in their hobbies, they get jobs providing for those people. Small groups producing products and information for each other, each interested in the topic. Perhaps NTs would have a place providing services that require more flexibility?

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2014, 9:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
and the neo-anarchic government based upon families and clans.

I like this part.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 12:19 am

My planet would NOT be made of dirt. There would be no dust or dirt anywhere in existence. I'm not sure what would replace it as a medium to grow things in, but there would absolutely have to be no dirt.

It's just beyond bizarre that we live on top of mounds of dirt which is basically just made of rotted dead things and s**t. Yuck. :x

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:28 am

One question I have for some is how is the new world supposed to support such lavish lifestyle and technology? To achieve that here requires large amounts of people working long hours in harsh industrial settings. There must be mines, and factories and farms and processing plants, etc.

At first I would imagine the transplanted colony after establishing rudimentary shelters, would have to devote most of its time and energy to food production. This is difficult with picked, healthy and experienced colonists. The history of Roanoke and Jamestown comes to mind. It would be even more difficult with a large percentage of the colonists having little or none of the needed work experience and unaccustomed to physical labor. Indeed many are classified disabled.

Even with a extremely benign climate and very fertile regions, the initial colonization would not be guareented to succeed or even survive, with a lot more likely to go wrong then right. Personally I doubt even half of the original colonists would survive the first 5 years. Due to shortages, stresses and deprivations It could even shatter and fragment into a few pockets of survival, living in very primitive conditions.

I would not really want to go on that trip. No coffee (at least not any time soon) alone rules it out for me.

But let say it did succeed. In time the colony would increasingly lose its ASD characacter, as even with both parents having ASD at least half the children will be NT. ASD is not a natural evolutionary development, but according to the latest theories, various types of damage in a broad area of about 100 gene groups. By maybe generation 4 or 5 the majority will be NT again.

I might, or at least in my youth been tempted to be part of a colonization attempt on a new planet. But only done with the best chances of success and including the natural broad range of people types needed to overcome all obstacles and adapt. A few ASD types could have their place in that, as they always do, adding their own little bit of special talents.

Exploronaut
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Nov 2014, 11:51 am

Evil_Chuck wrote:
Exploronaut wrote:
The part about how the society on this planet would be has got me wondering: Would a population of [individuals] with different kinds of asd ever invent the [concept] of war?

We would probably use all drones and robots, and only against each others' drones and robots. For entertainment if nothing else. It's far less stressful than going to war in person, and best of all no one would die. :lol:

That sounds more like something that would be done just for fun(I would at least participate in it just for fun).