Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

davidaimi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2015, 3:32 pm

I can relate to Emilie's video in a huge way. I've struggled my entire life not realing that multipotentialites were actually a thing. I always assumed I was weird or defected compared to other people who seemed to be much better at everyday life. I decided to finally embrace my mentality though and start several blogs, one of them is SplitMentality.com targeted to people like me!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

Thanks for posting the video. Food for thought.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

The culture where I grew up is one that honors multifaceted creative endeavors above earning tons of money. I am so lucky to have grown up there.

I think it's important not to put all of your eggs in one basket. This being said, I don't think I could do most of my interests for a job. For instance, doing art makes me happy, but having really not-creative people tell me how to draw my art for money makes me want to gouge my own eyes out. Similarly, I love playing and writing music, but I choke on a stage, and I don't want to be told by popular decision how to make the kind of music that sells.

So for me, there is only one job, just ONE HIGHLY CREATIVE job. I ask a question. I convince people to pay me to answer it. The noble pursuit of curiosity and patterns.

...then I go home and forget about the ugly side of academia by rocking out with some jazz flute :p