Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

I like it when I prove people wrong when they underestimate me. It seems people have always thought I was timid and stupid.
In high school they were surprised when I got a high score on an IQ test and they had a psychiatrist come to the school to evaluate me.
I also surprised teachers when I took an aptitude test and got a very high score on the abstract reasoning part which was matrix reasoning even though I did very badly on the rest of the test.

When I had a baby 45 years ago a social worker came to talk to me. She asked me if my parents babied me and she wasn't sure I could take care of a baby even though I was 22 (I was very immature for my age). I proved I was perfectly capable of taking care of myself and a baby.

When I got a job working with a mainframe computer the pay was close to minimum wage and I was told the job was mainly babysitting the computer at night while it ran batch jobs. I surprised them by writing a useful program and after that I started to get many requests to write programs and did that for over 20 years.
Never got a wage close to industry standards but I didn't have much education so I didn't complain.

In the end it doesn't matter so much if people don't believe in me or underestimate me if I can prove them wrong.

Last edited by Marybird on 17 Jan 2016, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 6:37 pm

I didn't know you have a child.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 6:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn't know you have a child.

I certainly do, and teenage grandchildren! 17 and 19.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 7:03 pm

That's sweet.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 8:26 pm

I used to have a cool job. I used to tell people I worked at that job. Most thought it was cool. A few knuckleheads wanted me to prove it. I'd just laugh and walk away. Some people just will not believe anything unless proven to them. How important is it to prove something will depend on the individual.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8