AUGGH! How hard is it to respect other cultures?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 6:33 am

That depends really on whether you consider all Spanish-speaking US residents as illegal aliens. :roll:

In my area, there are a large number of people originating from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. Some of these have poor English for a variety of reasons. Consequently, many signs, literature etc are in both English and Urdu, also often Punjabi, Gujarati and Bengali. Is this a problem? No. Many of the older generations have not had cause/opportunity to improve their English skills, which arguably would be useful to them living in the UK. However those people working largely with these communities learn or speak one or more South Asian languages for practical reasons.

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 7:03 am

That would fall under the subheading of possibly accommodating refugees, Europeans, and Asians.
How long can you live fully immersed in a language without picking it up without deliberately refusing to. I once spent 8 months in a tech scool that was predominantly Mexican and they almost always spoke Spanish. The only reason why I didn't pick any of it up is because I applied precisely zero effort. Otherwise, I probably would have been well on my way to becoming fluent.

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jun 2005, 8:15 am

pigheaded

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 3:27 pm

Sean wrote:
I find Spanish on everything annoying too. It often takes up room that would be better used for better instrucions in English. It's one thing if they are using one package design and shipping it all over North America. But illegal aliens shouldn't be accommodated, it creates all sorts of Domestic problems.

You would rather have more precise directions in English? Directions aren't even needed on half of the things they are on.

It has been mentioned before, but a majority of people who only speak Spanish aren't illegal.

Sean wrote:
I refuse to learn Spanish too, and don't plan on having any buisness with any US resident that doesn't speak English.

Because of the way the US is heading, I'd change my mind if I were you. I speak Spanish almost fluently and I am happy and proud that I can. Besides that fact that learning other languages is fun, it is incredibly useful for occupational purposes.

In other words: Yo ganare mucho dinero porque yo hablo espanol. :wink:

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 5:35 pm

Bec wrote:

I wouldn't bank on that if I were you. Once I have my MCSE, I will be able to set buisneses up with computer systems to handle most translation.

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Jun 2005, 7:39 pm

WHY IS IT THAT MISNTRY HAVE TO SHOVE ARE VCULURE AND LANGUAGE DOWN THERE THROST I HATEW WHEN THEY GO HELP 3 WORLD CULTER AND MAKE THEM LEARN CHRISTANY WHEN IT NOT THERE BELIFS .THAT WHY SOME COUNTRYS DONT LIKE US .I THINK IT NICE TO LEARN ABOUT DIFF CONTREYS AND STUFF .THEY DO IT HEAR TO .WE ARE SOUPED TO BE DIFF TO .I KINDA OF NO WHAT THE POSTER IS SAYING

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 7:59 pm

Sean wrote:
Bec wrote:

I wouldn't bank on that if I were you. Once I have my MCSE, I will be able to set buisneses up with computer systems to handle most translation.

I didn't say that you won't be able to make a lot of money, Sean. At the moment, though, employers are more likely to hire someone who is bilingual than someone who isn't. Also, if an employee is able to speak another language (the most useful being Spanish in the US) they are more likely to be paid more than someone who can only speak English. That is why I said that.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2005, 8:03 pm

Maybe it's better than living under a crazy dictator?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 1:43 am

hehe. That reminds me:

"How dare them Injuns take our land b'fore we got here!! !"

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Sophist on 09 Jun 2005, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 1:45 am

Um, also, just wondering: What is this big aversion to not being willing to learn Spanish? It's just a language.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

autti34
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2005, 8:22 am

were i live there is alot of spanish .my friend is parents are spanish ,but she allways speak engluish and only spanish when she need to .i want to learn spanih i have a inlaw and a newphew so i think it be good to no

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 10:53 am

Sophist wrote:
hehe. That reminds me:

"How dare them Injuns take our land b'fore we got here!! !"

ROFL!! !! ! :lol:

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2005, 12:43 pm

I'd be glad to learn Spanish, only I havse some sort of an LD in the Language learning department. Maybe if I were immersed I'd learn it. I have nothing against learning a second language, I find it very enlightening.