Anyone living on disability? Is it difficult?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:29 pm

It's pretty difficult for many people.

I have known people, however, who are content with it, and live within their means.

You certainly won't be able to afford luxuries, or to go on many vacations.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 10:59 am

Stuff routinely goes on sale after major holidays. Canned yams were 50% off if you waited until after Thanksgiving.

Pu erh tea, which is fermented black tea, can be infused several times and still provide excellent taste.

It helps if you develop a mindset that carefully plans your needs and purchases. When you are rich you can afford to waste food or buy stuff whenever you want.

Raederle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2021, 9:54 am

I've been reading these forums for a while, and actually just decided to actually register because of my own questions about disability payments, but my own question is more about how to get the disability checks and if it is worth it.

Anyhow, your particular question doesn't answer mine, but it is something I've lived with almost all of my adult life (and in childhood too): low income. I've often had the opportunity to make more money, but I couldn't make myself do it because of how overwhelmed I become by having to follow someone else's directions. (I could barely ever do it in school and almost always argued with the premise when I wrote essays.)

I had to start making my own money and living off of it and supporting my husband all at once in 2011. At first I was only making about $200 a month. By 2013 I was often making as much as $1,000 a month, but it was inconsistent and averaged more like $700 a month. Yet my husband and I lived off of it, and we traveled, and we ate healthy organic food. People kept assuming we were wealthy even though we lived below the poverty line.

Because of people's assumptions, I realized that most people have no idea how to leverage their money, their time, their skills, their social connections. So I wrote a book, Living Big & Traveling Far on $8,000 a Year (or Less!). It was a great book when it first came out in 2015 and had great reviews, but I went through in 2019 and made it even better, nearly doubling the amount of quality information in it. It's practically a text book it's so full of advice (and recipes, and charts, and more). I highly recommend it for your situation.

Blessings,

Raederle

Raederle is pronounced: Ray-der-lee