Eye Contact: Don't care, Don't know, Afraid, etc.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Why do you avoid eye contact?
Poll ended at 11 May 2018, 1:14 am
I didn't know it was important. 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
I don't care about it. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I am overwhelmed by it. 51%  51%  [ 28 ]
I'm afraid to do it. 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
I make appropriate eye contact. 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
I make excessive eye contact. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Other (I don't ever see people) 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 55

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2018, 5:39 am

Unless I'm really anxious, I try to make eye contact with people because I know it's very important to them. I kind of figured out how long I should look into their eyes, how often look away; some topics may require longer looking-away periods like when someone's feeling guilty, some require longer eye contact and maybe a sympathetic gesture if someone's distressed or sad.

If I'm moving around or if I'm distracted (like in a shop or on the bus - so many people) I just simply forget to make eye contact and even when I speak to people I just can't remember to, even briefly, look into their eyes. It's especially hard when I'm in a queue in a supermarket, packing things into a bag, then getting a points card, credit card, entering PIN, there are folks behind me moving things out of their trolleys... it's just too much at once for me to comfortably make eye contact. My daughter recently pointed it out to me, that I speak to people sometimes without even looking at them.

I've made a massive improvement over decades. As a kid I had my eyes just glued to the ground 80% of time and I used to talk to kids (when I actually felt like it, which was rare) without looking at them most of the time. My hair covered my eyes partially too, like I was hiding behind it.

Still, if people talk to me and stare very intensely (and say "look me in the eye!") it can simply make me cry. Once I had to get off the bus because a random woman was staring and me and I started to cry and feel shaky. It took me hours to calm down.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 9:42 am

Precious lil"people" ofteen tell me:

"Look at me when I'm talking to you", when I make too little eye contact

"What the f**k you looking at?". When i make too much eye contact

So

Thus

Hence

Because

Since I do not or cannot , :twisted: like, do the slightest thing correctly (eye contact) then I tend to fear, hate, avoid almost every precious lil "person"

Almost all the time

:roll:

:cry:

:D

Equadex
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm

I can make eye contact but I often find it uncomfortable and too intense. Eye contact isn't necessary for social communication therefore I'm no longer forcing myself to do that. I will make "appropriate" eye contact only if it feels comfortable and not otherwise.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 11:20 pm

one time, a volunteer counselor (170 hours of training) asked me if :mrgreen: i wanted him :mrgreen: to make eye contact with me. :skull:

went to 35 counselors and counting. that was the only time anyone asked if i wanted eye contact from the speaker.

numerous times, the speaker had the nerve to tell me to make more or less eye contact with the speaker.

then the speaker had the nerve to tell me that i made the :idea: wrong :nerdy: type of eye contact

seriously

precious lil "people" :roll:

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

I am afraid to look people in the eye. It feels rude or invasive, and I worry that they will dislike me if I do it. I am also shy, and it much easier for people to ignore me if I'm not staring at them. Having people talk to me is stressful and frightening, so I try to avoid eye contact.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 7:46 am

The meaning of eye contact was a mystery to me till I learned to see its avoidance as a matter of cowardice. No wonder it makes people despise you so much.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 7:56 am

Other. It triggers fight or flight

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Rustifer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2018, 9:45 am

Thankfully, eye contact doesn't have this effect on me anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0avWZoqjg

Now it's just more of a chore to maintain it since extended eye contact still makes it harder for me to focus on what the other person is actually saying.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 5:28 pm

At this point I would rather get told I used too little than too much eye contact