I have a varied diet. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
What's food? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
What's food? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 48

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 4:44 am

I'm not a fussy eater. I just don't like having to make decisions. If I go to a restaurant or get invited to someone's house and they choose the menu then I'll eat almost anything. When I'm eating alone, though, I tend to eat the same things over and over again.

I go to the same cafe every day on my way to work. Nine times out of ten I'll ask for "a large coffee and a chocolate-chip muffin". On the tenth day I'll order "a chocolate-chip muffin and a large coffee". The end result is the same, but there's a momentary illusion that I've done something different.... :-)

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 6:32 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Sometimes.

I often get hooked on something, have it heaps, and then get sick of it. It's a cycle.

me too.

alexj
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2005, 6:37 am

I tend to prefer eating food that I know. I mean, I am always reluctant to test new things, even if it is not very exotic.

My main food is rice. I also like vegetables and fruits. In fact I hate cooking and I am very bad at it. So I will prepare a huge bowl of rice with something (tomatoes or onions or mushrooms...) and eat it at every meal during two days. I could be eating the same thing during a whole week, I don't mind.

Alexandra

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 7:22 am

Neuroman wrote:
DO see your doctor. If gluten is a problem it can kill you. DON'T let your doctor talk you into having an upper endoscopy before the genetic test. The endoscopy I had showed no damage, and the genetic test, which is a simple (but expensive) blood test, and is the sure marker of celiac disease, came out positive. Gluten free diets have been used to treat autistic syndromes for years. BTW I am also lactose intolerant, and that is related to the gluten intolerance.

I heard that ttG is also another newer more definitive blood test too. It was used to test both of my sons, both didn't show up as positive for celiac, both had bouts of possible lactose intolerance but they seemed to be resolved. I live in a small town so most 'genetic'-related stuff requires being sent out of town and takes a long time to get back.

Quote:
What you should know about wheat, is that for everyone, if it gets into the bloodstream undigested (usually due to damaged intestines), it goes to the brain and attaches to opiate receptors. Go figure. So you actually get addicted to it....

That's no surprise honestly, only animals that could really tolerate wheat-based products are those with two stomachs, like cows.

Quote:
There are a bazillion gluten free websites, and if you lived in europe you'd have access to even better food.
DON'T EAT RICE BREAD!
It doesn't taste like rice. It doesn't act like bread. It's disgusting!

Actually have tasted rice bread and bread made from spelt and many other alternatives over a 3 month period being 'mainly' off wheat... I had a hard time sticking to it.

Quote:
I make crustless pizza. I put everything but the crust in the pan and melt it, then eat it with a fork. The gluten free pretzels are so good wheat eaters could hardly tell the difference. I've gotten the best stuff from a site called gluten solutions, and my local health food store.

My biggest problem with being in a small town is a lack of resources and where I have no car and can't easily drive to where the nearest health food stores are... makes the diet extremely challenging (especially where I have no credit card to order stuff online if needed).

Quote:
Hope this was not too much more than you asked for...

OMG, I just remembered there is a container of chocolate merengue cookies somewhere in my living room waiting to be eaten.

Nah. Think I'll eat the squash instead....

Thanks for the advice.[/quote]

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 7:29 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Sometimes.

I often get hooked on something, have it heaps, and then get sick of it. It's a cycle.

Yeah often with any variation in my diet it tends to be in cycles till I'm tired of it. As a kid it was peanut butter sandwhiches and tomato soup, neither I could eat again till I was in my teens (for tomato soup) and adult years (for peanut butter).

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 8:07 am

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Yeah often with any variation in my diet it tends to be in cycles till I'm tired of it. As a kid it was peanut butter sandwhiches and tomato soup, neither I could eat again till I was in my teens (for tomato soup) and adult years (for peanut butter).

I'm still eating the same things I ate when I was a child....

tomato lettuce and cucumber salad (these days sans the expensive lettuce)
vegetables of any sort as long as they are not mixed, exceptions are succotash and stir fry
shrimp
chicken
cheesecake
I had to switch from ramen to rice noodles - no problem, they're much better!

I have acquired a few new things like poke (hawai'ian dish made with raw fish) and sushi, but these tend to be rare events.

I do go in cycles. I think the current cycle with summer squash may be ending soon. Don't know if I ever can stop eating cucumbers and tomatos.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2005, 9:08 pm

I've been eating Weet-Bix almost exclusively since birth. Every now and then, I get Fruit Loops or Cocopops, but that's only a couple times a year. I discovered that I liked cheese and tomato sauce sandwiches around 2000, and been eating them for lunch ever since. For a while, I tried a healthier variety, cheese and lettuce... but it didn't last. Went back to the sauce after about a month, and in terms of sandwiches, it's been exlcusive.

I'm also quite fond of tinned spaghetti and have been eating that quite often. Wouldn't say it's exclusive though.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 10:01 pm

vetivert wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
Sometimes.

me too.

Me, three.

Currently:

-specific pre-made ham/bologna/cheese/tomato sandwich from the local grocery store
-chicken noodle soup (homemade by mom :D )
-Banquet turkey tv dinner
-Campbell's Dried package noodle soup
-chicken egg rolls
-Lunchables (turkey or ham)
-salami cheese slices from the store deli
-spaghetti (preferably wheat noodles)
-distilled water or Mountain Dew/Sunkist
-Ramen noodle soup (chicken or beef)
-Michelina's chicken and pasta dinner
-Baked Cheetos
-honey-roasted cashews

That's what I usually choose from atm.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/