Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Which cortical hemisphere is dominant for you?
Left 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Left 26%  26%  [ 12 ]
Equidominant (Ambidextrous) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Equidominant (Ambidextrous) 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Right 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Right 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 8:39 pm

Sophist wrote:
LEFT= 70%

RIGHT= 54%

There seem to be too many 'percents' in there, or am I missing something?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 9:00 pm

Figuring in other tests I've taken along similar lines, I believe that is where the right and left overlap (or bilingual as pyraxis put it). Just my guess at it though.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2005, 9:00 pm

Some tests measure left and right hemispheridness (to coin a "word" :wink:) independantly, so if you have all the traits of a left brained person and all the traits of a right brained person you could score 100% for both, what matters is the ratio between them.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2005, 2:00 am

Okay... usual commentary about brain dominance:

I'd be considered right-brain dominant at least for most of the physical stuff. I am left-handed, left-eyed, left-eared, left-footed, and so forth, and fairly strongly most of those.

However... nearly everyone, barring certain neurological problems such as massive stroke, uses both sides of their brain. Nearly all tasks use both sides of the brain. There is nothing inherently more creative about the right side of the brain or inherently more logical about the left side of the brain.

The two sides of the brain do usually specialize in slightly different aspects of tasks, but they both work on the same tasks. And the ways in which they specialize are not possible to reduce to the pop psychology idea of the "right brained" and "left brained" person. Many neurologists rue the day that certain brain studies were taken far out of context to create this whole idea.

In addition, left-handed people sometimes have all or some functions reversed from how normal lateralization works, or else handle lateralization in ways that are totally different than the way right-handed people handle laterlization. Ignorance of this fact on the part of neurologists has led to disastrous results at times, for instance when performing split-brain surgery on left-handed people with epilepsy, the results were sometimes stunningly different and more difficult than when doing it on the more familiar and more well-studied right-handed people.

There are differences in how each side of the brain handles things -- for some functions -- but what those differences are is going to vary from person to person, especially in left-handed people. And even with those differences, both sides of the brain are used in creative tasks, both sides of the brain are used in logical tasks, and so forth. The differences that do exist can't be simplified to a set of personality traits such as creativity.