Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2008, 2:35 pm

When I was little, I used to walk on my heels, and even on the sides of my feet, which might have contributed to the fact that I am now slightly pigeon-toed ("feet naturally rotate at the ankles towards each other such that the toes on each foot are angled towards each other in a state of rest" [urbandictionary]).

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:07 pm

Not exclusively on my toes, but for the longest time, and sometimes still today, I walk with putting my toes down before my heel - something that annoys the crap out of my mom, though I can't tell why, as it doesn't feel any different from doing the reverse, nor does it prevent me from getting from place to place.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Aug 2008, 7:14 pm

Toe walking is a sensory thing. For me, it feels a little like the calming sensation that I feel when rocking. Kind of a natural rocky sensation. I know it feels very calming and is almost as successful at calming me as actual rocking. I also find myself swaying side to side when I'm feeling overcrowded or standing in line at things.

Deus_Imperator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 6:27 am

Up and down stairs all the time. Around the house I tend to walk with my heel only just off the surface of the floor so I'm on the balls of my feet. When I have shoes on, or when I'm in public, I don't.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2008, 8:25 am

As a child I used to toe and heel walk. Now I only toe walk up stairs. I walk on the sides of my feet if I have to walk barefoot on anything smooth or bumpy. (basically anything that isn't carpet) I have to wear my shoes in the house. Just can't stand the feel of floors.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 8:31 am

I believe it has something to do with the interaction of the two hemispheres of the brain...

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:31 pm

I walk on my toes a lot when I'm not wearing shoes and when I'm walking up stairs. I also often walk on the sides of my feet. When I'm standing still I stand on either my heels or my toes. When I walk with shoes on my feet step flat on the surface rather than heel-toe like is normal.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2008, 4:03 pm

Always walk on my toes when not wearing shoes.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2008, 9:59 pm

I toe walk sometimes and I always walk on my toes on the stairs.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

Unfortunately this is by far my most noticable AS trait, and it's not something that I can hide. I grew up walking on my toes so much my achilles tendons shrunk, and it is nearly impossible for me to walk normally. With shoes on it's a little easier and my walk is a bit less noticeable, but throughout my whole life people have always asked why I walk on my toes, and it was the cause of a lot of harrassment when I was little. It sucks, and if there was one thing I could change about me, it'd definitelly be my toe walking.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

DJRnold wrote:
When I was little, I used to walk on my heels, and even on the sides of my feet, which might have contributed to the fact that I am now slightly pigeon-toed ("feet naturally rotate at the ankles towards each other such that the toes on each foot are angled towards each other in a state of rest" [urbandictionary]).

I'm reverse pidgeon toed as the result of toe walking. They point the other way, which really confuses people. People have often said, "It's like you're pidgeon toed, but backwards"

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 10:26 pm

When I need to think or relax, I tend to pace. On my toes. I feel it helps me focus and rearrange my ideas.

I just remembered one occasion as a little child, when my mother strongly reprimanded me for "walking as a sissy".

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:55 pm

I walked up on my tip-toes when I was a child. The adults would push down on the top of my head to try to make me walk normally and children in the school yard used to point at me and laugh and whisper to each other. I was so embarrassed that eventually I forced myself to walk normally but it was very painful to do at first. It felt as if I was falling backward when I would try to stand normally. It took a long time to get my muscles out of that position.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 12:20 am

I was walking down the street and a woman I hadn't seen in years stopped and asked if I would like a ride. Chatting in the car, she said "I would have recognized your walk anywhere!" I just said to myself, 'that woman has no idea how to walk in those boots' and thought of you!"

I had no idea what she was talking about at the time, but now. . .I know.