How far down do you hold a pen/pencil?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tensho
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 4:08 am

I can feel where its been sharpened is where I grip the pencil right near the end. There is usually just 1cm between my finger and the tip.

My middle finger also had a callus on it probably because I used to grip so hard. If I used pens then the plastic would always start to crack until it broke after a lot of writing.

I always write too hard and you could probably read most of what I write in about 20 sheets of paper underneath because it leaves a depression in the other pieces of paper.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2008, 5:24 am

I hold my pens and pencils really far down. Not so far down that I'm holding in the conical part, but pretty far down.

And yes, people have commented :) And no, I don't care :)

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 7:40 am

I hold pens very near the bottom, usually right on the curve part. I grip pens tightly and I press very hard when I write. I write slowly and get tired in my hand fast, but I can't write any other way than this, at least not if it's supposed to be readable.

ASandproud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2008, 7:54 am

I hold pens/pencils just above the point and couldn't write neatly to save my life. Also still have difficulty holding knife and fork the 'proper' way

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 8:05 am

I don't know..I will have to check...I don't really think about it.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 9:03 am

All the way down so that it touches the paper. :wink:

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 9:41 am

I was switched from right to left, but I don't do the corkscrew thing when writing. I do hold writing utensils pretty far down and rest them against the flat of my thumb, that is with my thumb folded underneath the utensil. My first finger holds it on top and my middle finger helps to balance. I also write straight up and down which is hell on the ends of writing utensils and make it difficult for anyone else to use my pens and things. Especially my fine tip sharpies.

I work with a lot of spectrum kids and I find that they have the most difficulty in writing because it's a sensory thing and it's hard to find a good way to hold a pencil. Most kids have problems learning how much pressure to put on writing utensils. It's totally a sensory thing and it's hard to make that work for you.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 11:14 am

Have mentioned a few times how far down my hand is on that pencil, all the way to about a centimeter before the point, in elementary school, tho I have let up slightly as the years went by. Probably better for my hand anyway.

I think part of the reason I hold it so close to the point is the fact that I don't "rest" the pencil on my middle finger (on that knuckle), like a lot of other people do. I use the finger tip. I think there's more control there.

Like pencil for 2 reasons, mistake prone over here, and also the fact that it doesn't "slip" like a pen does. If pen's required, I'll find another piece of paper to stick behind the one I'm writing on, makes it easier for some reason.

Anybody ever get "writer's elbow"? For some reason, this happened during extended writing assignments... Doesn't happen at home, as I laid on the floor for any actual writing. Sitting at desks always caused this tho...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 2:51 pm

well the bottem is the burttonwhere you press to get more lead out.

jul
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2008, 3:08 pm

Yeah, I hold the pen/pencil kind of low, but mostly I hold it so tight (even now) that my one finger has permanent callous on it, and that has been there as long as I can remember. In fact, that nail doesn't even grow right on that finger. It never did. It's like a scar from writing. I've never known anybody else in the world to get a writing scar. PLus, I lean really close over the paper to write. EVen with my contacts in! :oops:

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Aug 2008, 8:20 pm

I have a permanent groove in my thumb nail where writing utensils rest perfectly.

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2008, 11:21 pm

I usually hold my pen/pencil right by the tip and very tight, and sometimes when I'm not paying attention, I hold it in stranger ways. I did not notice it until the school psychologist pointed it out. He stopped me when I was writing and asked me what I was doing with my pencil. He said that my hand was in a fist. I didn't see that part, but once I got back to my usual grip, I noticed that it was really tight and almost touching the tip.

Jaysonlee4
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

i hold a pencil at the tip between my pointer finger and my middle finger either way I write...left or right handed.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 4:50 am

I've always held pens near the tip.I remember at school one teacher told me that was not
correct and I should be holding it further up ! Little did they know I've been complimented on
my writing and drawing.Somehow I don't think I could do it as well by holding the pen in the
'correct' fashion !

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 5:19 am

I'm the opposite. I write too lightly and the ink on the nib builds up, causing blotches and smudges on the paper.
Result: a very messy looking workpaper.
It's not the brand of pen either. It happens with whatever pen I use.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 6:56 am

CRACK wrote:
Something I noticed a long time ago is that I always hold a pen or pencil near the bottom, like right on the curve part. And I've been commented in Elementary school on how tightly I grip a pencil. At times I try to hold it a little further up, but then I am forced to write at more of an angle and that is awkward to me.

Same. Also, left handed. I always thought that might be a factor.