Between 2-4 hours 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Between 4-6 hours 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
More then 6 hours 34%  34%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 64

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 9:32 am

I stim pretty much all the time. I even sit in a particular way to get some 'stim time'. I sit on my feet which a lot of people think is weird. A lot of my stimming is in my hands, flapping, wringing and twiddling the fingers mainly. Along with my Tourette syndrome, it means that I am pretty much moving all the time.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2009, 11:55 am

Hmm, I just noticed that I sometimes curl up my right hand when I'm walking and I seriously never knew that until today. Is there any particular meaning to whether you curl up your left or right hand?

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 12:05 pm

2-4 hours usually, but if rocking constantly and similar things count it might be 4-6, plus I do flap a lot randomly at home.

Last edited by DeLoreanDude on 25 Mar 2009, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 1:49 pm

I slap my hand into my palm a lot when I'm excited. I also fidget with things a lot. I also have intense urges to say certain word (usually profanities) again and again. Echolalia I guess. Maybe I have tourrettes too? lol I sure hope not I have enough problems. I can restrain myself from doing it in public though but when I get home I usually over do it.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 2:02 pm

I don't know how long I stim but it's alot. it's mostly subtle stuff but big stims when I'm on my own, like shaking my head loads or something.
I also do the whole same song on repeat a million times thing.

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2009, 2:07 pm

I shake my leg when sitting down sometimes.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2009, 8:14 pm

hester386 wrote:
Hmm, I just noticed that I sometimes curl up my right hand when I'm walking and I seriously never knew that until today. Is there any particular meaning to whether you curl up your left or right hand?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 8:44 pm

hester386 wrote:
hester386 wrote:

I don't think it matters, other than which portion of your brain is affected; it's not bilateral I've noticed (it's either the left or right hand). It's definitely neurological in origin. People with Parkinson's Disease or Parkinsonian Syndromes do it too (both are neurological conditions).

It's definitely an Autistic thing, as I've seen far too many people with an ASD do it (I recall reading that they think there's a connection to Parkinsonian type symptoms in some people with Autism).

mmstick
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2009, 3:24 am

None. Nothing at all.

protest_the_hero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 7:21 am

I only stim at particularly tense/scary/nervous moments or if I have significant stress built up. Far less than 2 hours a day.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2009, 2:27 pm

When I am 'feeling' the music I am listening to, I will sometimes flap my left hand against my chest.

Also when I am stressed and in thought, i will rock back and forth from one foot to another. May do it in the shower also when I am listening to music while showering.

I randomly turn my head really fast to one side and up a bit in which my neck pops. I am aware of it and can supress it if i really wanted to.

I may rock in a chair for 10-15 seconds when in deep thought and when there is intense emotions... Compared to others, I guess waht can be called stimmin is very mild

Usually less than an hour / day...

And almost always a alone.

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2009, 2:32 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I don't know how long I stim but it's alot. it's mostly subtle stuff but big stims when I'm on my own, like shaking my head loads or something.
I also do the whole same song on repeat a million times thing.

lol, I do the same thing... I would put a list of songs in a mp3 player in my car... will listen to the same song over and over again for weeks at a time. (usually one or two songs and will alternate every few days).

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2009, 3:02 pm

[quote="Dee_"]

Also when I am stressed and in thought, i will rock back and forth from one foot to another. May do it in the shower also when I am listening to music while showering.

[quote]

I'm exactly the same, if I'm standing up while listening to music and I'm deep in thought I end up rocking from one foot to the other and at the same time spin a piece of string around, I find myself doing this for ages and ages because I'm completely switched off and in laalaa land

jamesp420
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:07 pm

I'm always moving. Either my fingers are always tapping, my foot is always shaking, or my leg is always bouncing.

http://www.facebook.com/jamesp420

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2009, 3:18 pm

I have no idea, because I'm hardly ever aware of the fact that I'm stimming. Mostly I tap or rub things. I probably do it nearly all the time I'm awake. Other stims like rocking or bouncing, I do less frequently, and as a direct result of being happy about something. If randomly repeating phrases counts as stimming, I do that probably every day, normally when I'm switching from doing one thing to doing something else. I find there are some stims that I do constantly at the same time as doing something I'm absorbed in (I guess a sort of equivalent to background music) and other stims that I do for a short time when I'm switching from one thing to another.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2009, 9:08 pm

The poll results are fairly interesting. The overwhelming majority of people who voted claimed to have either stimmed between 0-2 hours, or more than 6 hours with very few votes for the 2 in-between options. It seems as if most of either stim a little bit, or basically all the time.