Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Mar 2012, 12:13 pm

I taste colors, and there are some colors that actually make me nauseous. Fortunately, they seem to be rather unpopular.

Mostly, it's not particularly negative. It's actually positive (I love music/sound -> color effects, usually)

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

I can see music when tripping.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

22 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

If you need to be tripping it's not really synesthesia. :D

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:34 pm

I also have other odd sensory perception things, and I wonder if they have any relation to synesthesia. Out of nowhere around 18, I started seeing pictures and patterns in 3d - I mean, full blown intense 3d. This has diminished, but once in a while it comes back, especially with contrasting patterns, or if I'm tired.

A couple years later, I started to experience really trippy stuff. In patterns, like carpets, or lines, or the bricks in a wall, I'd start seeing them visually shifting. In the library, the carpet had flashes and pulses shooting up and down the parallel lines in the pattern. And bright colors looked intense. For instance, I'd see someone wearing a yellow shirt, and it was so bright to me it was glowing. When I would read, I'd see the text shifting back and forth on the page.

I'd never done drugs and I wasn't going crazy. I didn't experience cross sensory stuff - it was all visual. But it was like the visuals were so ramped up, one visual perception would cross over into a different one, like patterns being so vivid that my brain interpreted them as moving, or in regards to the 3d images, perhaps my mind was sensing the visuals so strongly that it interpreted them as having depth, as it would expect them to.

I don't know why these things started or why they've diminished at this point. I do like it when they come back every now and then however.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

Quote:
TheSunAlsoRises
I think the ability to control and cultivate(as you described above) synesthesia may be more common than currently believed.

I agree. The line is blurry, and more could do it if they tried, but like you said, to actually be synesthetic, it needs to be involuntary. The only question is, can you develop it into an involuntary thing. I think at least some people can.

I am not sure what the spatially located part means - is it saying you have to go to a certain physical location to experience it?

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 5:41 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
Quote:
TheSunAlsoRises
I think the ability to control and cultivate(as you described above) synesthesia may be more common than currently believed.

I agree. The line is blurry, and more could do it if they tried, but like you said, to actually be synesthetic, it needs to be involuntary. The only question is, can you develop it into an involuntary thing. I think at least some people can.

I am not sure what the spatially located part means - is it saying you have to go to a certain physical location to experience it?

Yes, in a sense it does. Spatially located means to occupy a defined area ( or place where the synesthetic experience occurs).

However Wikipedia states : "Cytowic and Eagleman[3] differentiate between "localizers" and "non-localizers" to distinguish those synesthetes whose perceptions have a definite sense of spatial quality."

I take it that further studies show that there are synesthetes who do not have a 'definite' sense of spatial quality attached to their experiences.

I agree with you. I'll take it even further and suggest that synesthesia can be voluntarily experienced(called upon) and cultivated.

TheSunAlsoRises

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 12:28 am

Juggernaut wrote:
I also have other odd sensory perception things, and I wonder if they have any relation to synesthesia. Out of nowhere around 18, I started seeing pictures and patterns in 3d - I mean, full blown intense 3d. This has diminished, but once in a while it comes back, especially with contrasting patterns, or if I'm tired.

A couple years later, I started to experience really trippy stuff. In patterns, like carpets, or lines, or the bricks in a wall, I'd start seeing them visually shifting. In the library, the carpet had flashes and pulses shooting up and down the parallel lines in the pattern. And bright colors looked intense. For instance, I'd see someone wearing a yellow shirt, and it was so bright to me it was glowing. When I would read, I'd see the text shifting back and forth on the page.

I'd never done drugs and I wasn't going crazy. I didn't experience cross sensory stuff - it was all visual. But it was like the visuals were so ramped up, one visual perception would cross over into a different one, like patterns being so vivid that my brain interpreted them as moving, or in regards to the 3d images, perhaps my mind was sensing the visuals so strongly that it interpreted them as having depth, as it would expect them to.

I don't know why these things started or why they've diminished at this point. I do like it when they come back every now and then however.

Interesting.

I have read stories online about people on the spectrum that are able to visualize and manipulate 3-D images in their mind(i believe this falls under spatial abilities). What you are able to do, brings to mind a scene from A Beautiful Mind. There is a visual pattern scene THAT i think has some key elements mentioned in your post. I posted it on wrong planet once before if i find it i will repost it again.

Again, I'm not surprised.

TheSunAlsoRises

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

TheSunAlsoRises wrote:
I have read stories online about people on the spectrum that are able to visualize and manipulate 3-D images in their mind(i believe this falls under spatial abilities). What you are able to do, brings to mind a scene from A Beautiful Mind. There is a visual pattern scene THAT i think has some key elements mentioned in your post. I posted it on wrong planet once before if i find it i will repost it again.

Yes, there are definitely some similarities.

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2012, 4:15 am

I have grapheme- color ( numbers, letters, words, days, months ect. All have a certain color) and pain- color (if i stub my tow its bright yellow, a headache is a gorgeose shade of green) and personification- numbers ( all numbers have a gender and a personality) synesthesia. I love my it except in class i can get headaches from reading or doing a math problem from all the colors therefor causing green wich blends in with the words/ number colors wich is horrible. For example, lets say im doing this math problem:
6+9= (6 is marron and very snobby and 9 is pink and a girly girl.they hate eachother)
so i have to lisen to them argue and figure out the answer. Lets say ive been doing math for an hour. Then i get a headache wich is green. So i have maroon and pink and green all mushed together and 6 and 9 arr still fighting...
so in a way, it does kind of cause a sensory problem. But i still love it and wouldnt trade it for a thing : D

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2012, 4:27 am

I can feel sound. And I don't mean vibration.