Why do people act like Aspergers is a race?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

My psychiatrist has diagnosed me with a generalized anxiety disorder and social anxiety disorder and has diagnosed me with major depression, but I see it this way-

All my life, since birth, I have been experiencing life on a different level and having my experience interpreted and defined to me by neurotypical people. I've internalized those definitions to the point where I view myself as a hopeless loser, just because I don't function according to the way most people do and I struggle with things that are "supposed to be" easy.

I've learned (without even being conscious of it) to cover up my true nature and hide what I really think and feel because I see how the brains of other people function and want my brain to function the same way. I don't want to be an outcast. I want validation and respect and love from the people around me, and I know that if you are different, people will usually avoid you or look down on you.

This has caused me major amounts of stress that have actually caused physical problems such as gastrointestinal problems. It also results in my using impulsive or sadistic self-harm brought on to somehow relieve the stress or distract from the pain. It's also caused me major depression, where I don't see what the point is in trying any more because I feel so obviously not cut out to succeed in life. Again, more physical harm as I try to drink and sleep away the sadness and confusion and stress.

I look at these problems mainly as symptoms of the greater neurological differences due to autism/asperger's. I can't say with surety that all of the anxiety and depression in my life is due to AS difficulties (I have a hunch that part of my depression is due to genetics) but I can say that since I've had autism/asperger's explained through the words of people who are actually on the spectrum instead of hearing NT definitions and experiences, I realize how AS problems have contributed to and amplified my anxiety/depression problems!

It doesn't matter how well I've been able to function and cope in life, or how much I've been affected by AS; it does affect me, even if the results of the effects aren't perfectly defined as limiting my abilities in areas such as being able to keep a job. I can keep a job, but the massive amount of stress it causes has a negative affect on my life, and that stress is what displays itself to an NT.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

It's easier not to see it as something being 'wrong' with you - seeing it as a different way of thinking and perceiving the world is better in my opinon. It's the fact that the majority see the world in a 'standard' way that causes the problems as they try and force people who are different to conform to what they see as the norm and often judge them harshly when they don't/can't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 10:34 am

Was self dx for years, but I now its official. So my self dx was not a figment of my imagination.

About cliquishness: why not?

You can subdivide the human race in infinite ways. And people form groups around infinitely different commonalities that set them off from others. So why should aspies being any different from Freemasons, Catholics, Celtics fans, and barby doll collectors, by forming clubs?

A group like aspies who are disadvantaged are especially interested in mutual assistence and mutual understanding and emotional support. So I dont see the problem there.

But yes- some people do get nutty about it and go overboard and seem to think of us as a "race", or an ethnic group.

One poster here is even worried about "aspies going extinct". Thats like worrying about lefthanded people, or obese people, "going extinct". Several kinds of stupid, So some do go overboard.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

I think a necessary part of any pride movement is some group that is mutually agreed upon as "the problem." I go to a lot of Celtic Fairs and Scottish Games, and there is a great deal of England bashing there. I'm also involved with the Deaf Community, where hearing people are often not looked upon very positively. When angry gay people get together, they often talk disparagingly about breeders. So when I hear autistics talk about how stupid neurotypicals are, it does not really surprise me.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 12:26 am

jackbus01 wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
I think people with Asperger's tend to differentiate themselves as a separate group because they are humans and humans do that kind of thing. All humans need a concept of "us", clearly defined in opposition to an external "them". I imagine that since people with Asperger's are in fact more or less rejected by "them", normal people, as a group, we create an idea of an "us" of people with Asperger's syndrome and a common experience of life. From there, obviously, we form an overly meliorative interpretation of "our" experiences, while showcasing the bad aspects of what "they" do.

Yes, exactly. I wouldn't call it a race, but a culture. When a group of people are rejected by their dominant culture they often organize and form an alternative culture. It is very human. The only reason it is not more pronounced is that an ASD person often has social difficulties. A web search of "autistic culture" would explain some of this. It is very human to want to belong to a group and associate with others like themselves.

Very well said, both of you.