How am I going to survive this weekend? Need some advice!

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 9:34 pm

Going to church, if you do that sort of thing, is a nice break. Just go through the motions & space out. :D

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:55 am

Thanks everyone!

Survived yesterday. Two of the people I really do feel quite comfortable around brought games (board games and card games) which made things a little easier. Feeling more anxious today, but hopefully I'll find a way to get through today as well.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 2:41 am

ah midsommar, when it seems like everyone in Scandinavia needs to be with his/her family. I feel your pain. I'd suggest you'd talk to your boyfriend about the issue, and try to get "alone time", even for half an hour.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 9:43 am

rebbieh wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Survived yesterday. Two of the people I really do feel quite comfortable around brought games (board games and card games) which made things a little easier. Feeling more anxious today, but hopefully I'll find a way to get through today as well.

That's great!

Yes, it sounds like you're going to make it OK. And store the info away in the memory banks... A) board games & card games work for you & next time YOU can bring the game to share just to be sure there is one, and B) you did OK in a large group. Really. Value that.

:cheers:

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 3:17 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
That's great!

Yes, it sounds like you're going to make it OK. And store the info away in the memory banks... A) board games & card games work for you & next time YOU can bring the game to share just to be sure there is one, and B) you did OK in a large group. Really. Value that.

Yes, definitely going to remember that. Board games and card games work for me. I survived today as well! Was a much worse day than yesterday (lot of anxiety) but I made it! I even managed to not hit my head today. I'm actually quite proud of myself if I may say so. Thanks a lot for all the advice, people. Happy I found WP.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

rebbieh wrote:
DonkeyBuster wrote:
That's great!

Yes, definitely going to remember that. Board games and card games work for me. I survived today as well! Was a much worse day than yesterday (lot of anxiety) but I made it! I even managed to not hit my head today. I'm actually quite proud of myself if I may say so. Thanks a lot for all the advice, people. Happy I found WP.

Wooo-Hooo! Rockin'!

I'll bet today was a little harder 'cause the stress was starting to catch up w/you a bit, you're tired both physically & mentally. So this is useful information, too. How long we can hold up, figuring out how to recharge, or ration our energies in these situations so we don't get into the meltdown/crash zone.

I think you did a great job & you SHOULD be proud of yourself. You reached for support, you took care of yourself, you didn't chicken out & run, you restrained the self-abuse under pressure... all very impressive.

In my experience, there's like a bad reverb coming (maybe tomorrow), all the voices in your head telling you how many different ways you screwed up... do NOT, under any circumstances, listen to or believe them. They are flat wrong, they are bad tapes, they are the voices of your enemies. Drop kick them through the goal posts of STFU. :D

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

DonkeyBuster is probably right. Stress is building up at the same time as mental and physical reserves are going down.

I sometimes use my method of 0, 1, or 2. It's a journaling method, but I consciously try and underdo it. I'm open to things I did well, but I'm only going to write down zero, one, or two of them. I'm going to leave something on the table so to speak, and the others I might only partially or vaguely remember and that's fine.

This is a method I use to encourage myself to notice my successes and be open to them, without tasking myself out or making it yet another obligation. It's part of my goal of being a good coach to myself. :D

And I'm glad you're here at WP participating with us. :nemo:

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
DonkeyBuster is probably right. Stress is building up at the same time as mental and physical reserves are going down.

I sometimes use my method of 0, 1, or 2. It's a journaling method, but I consciously try and underdo it. I'm open to things I did well, but I'm only going to write down zero, one, or two of them. I'm going to leave something on the table so to speak, and the others I might only partially or vaguely remember and that's fine.

This is a method I use to encourage myself to notice my successes and be open to them, without tasking myself out or making it yet another obligation. It's part of my goal of being a good coach to myself. :D

And I'm glad you're here at WP participating with us. :nemo:

Do you tend to journal every day or only do this after stressful or important events? I like that it's not pressured.

I've got a gratitude practice I often do as I wait to fall asleep at night, just remember something from the day I'm grateful for... like the cottontail I saw this evening resting in the shade. :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

I go through periods where I journal. And sometimes it's merely interesting things, not necessarily either good nor bad.

These days I'm going through a difficult period in that I'm underemployed and looking for a job. And yes, the situation reminds me of things I don't like about how groups of human beings sometimes interact (including how I've been treated at previous jobs, and I've learned that overtrying is not usually a high percentage play).

I like nature, too. And I take it the cottontail was probably a nice little brown rabbit? About ten to twelve years ago, I'd take walks along a bayou and record observations, sometimes in a sparse writing style that perhaps had shades of poetry.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I go through periods where I journal. And sometimes it's merely interesting things, not necessarily either good nor bad.

These days I'm going through a difficult period in that I'm underemployed and looking for a job. And yes, the situation reminds me of things I don't like about how groups of human beings sometimes interact (including how I've been treated at previous jobs, and I've learned that overtrying is not usually a high percentage play).

Yeah, burnt myself toasty on a job figuring that out, not thanks or appreciation.

Quote:
I like nature, too. And I take it the cottontail was probably a nice little brown rabbit? About ten to twelve years ago, I'd take walks along a bayou and record observations, sometimes in a sparse writing style that perhaps had shades of poetry.

Yeah, a little brown bunny. I'd post the picture I got, but I can't figure out how to move it from my desktop to here. At first I thought she was dead, I got so close to her, but I could see she was breathing, so I just left her alone, kept walking. Couldn't blame her, it's really hot here right now.

Anyway, I like the journaling focus. I may try it the next time things get difficult for me. :)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 8:31 pm

I like that. A nice little bunny. In the woods where I walked as a boy, only see a rabbit every couple of months on so, I think even less often.

And then I think it's valuable to underdo the journaling.

With jobs (professional), I guess if I got there slightly early and then left on time. Although right now, I'm looking for retail jobs including at the grocery store, that's kind of how desperate I am. which is no fun.