Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

How would you rate your childhood and how you were treated during your childhood?
Actually, In spite of some difficulties - I had a fairly happy childhood 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
It was difficult at times - but it really was not that bad. I suppose I had an average childhood 28%  28%  [ 27 ]
It was not an easy time of my life. It was not unbearable. But it was hard at times. 40%  40%  [ 38 ]
My childhood was a cruel and nightmarish experience. No human or animal should be subjected to what I had to go through. 18%  18%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 95

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

EzraS wrote:
I think I've had a really good childhood so far. I was diagnosed early and have understanding parents who have been committed to understanding how and why I operate and learning how to make my life as good for me as they possibly can. And I've been put on good schools that specialize in kids with ASD.

Dude that's awesome. You've got to know we all have high hopes for you.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 1:04 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
My childhood was a 3. I was abused emotionally, though not physically. I was berated for talking about my special interests to the point that I don't talk to my parents about them anymore. There were times that I wasn't allowed to have my special interests when we had guests over.

I've also had to go through my childhood with my parents being in denial about my Gender Dysphoria. It was called Gender Identity Disorder back than and my parents were in major denial about it. I expressed my wishes to be a boy at the age of four and my mum brushed it off. My dad was constantly trying to get me to sit and talk in a ladylike manner. He'd keep annoying me by telling me that some things aren't ladylike to say. I hated it. I wish I grew up in a more open family with parents that would have respected my issues and wishes.

My parents also had that herd mentality. I was born into a strictly Canadian family where everybody had to be like everyone. My parents thought it would be a wonderful idea to shame me about my Cockney accent (you've heard me right). If you have a hard time sounding like anybody other than yourself, it's real. They thought doing that would motivate me to sound like as my dad put it, "Everybody else around here and don't you be watching 'Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous' or else your accent will just get stronger." It sucked being told by one parent or another or both of them at once, "Don't talk through your nose!" Every time I opened my mouth. It eventually got to the point that I was spending all day in my bedroom listening to classic rock, because I didn't trust anybody enough to talk to them.

The only time I was truly happy was when The Kinks and sometimes The Beatles were on the radio, or if we were off on vacation somewhere all laughing and having a good time. Christmas Break was also another time that was happy for me. I got a sick feeling inside of me every time we got home from vacation. Home wasn't where my heart was. I had fantasies about running away to Vancouver International Airport and secretly sneaking on a plane that was boarding to London.

All this time I assumed you were born and raised in Britain....WOW.... 8O 8O 8O 8O ....so you are Canadian!! !
Sry I am just so surprised.

How did you 'acquire' your Cockney accent then??? I'm confused.

Anyway, you are great just the way you are.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 1:14 am

Early childood was about a 7/10, I had fun with my special interests, though my family were apathetic, but sometimes hostile towards me, and especially my siblings, my family also did no events as a family together, but I had a good school, and the students and teachers were nice.

Late childhood was a 3/10, people at school got aggressive, at home my siblings were also aggressive. I Stopped attending school because the bullying got extremely bad, and I think that's when my chronic depression set in. My life was a perpetual question mark from that point froward.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

Early childhood was 7/10: my dad was still alive and took care of us- even though both he and my mother were drunk on a daily basis.

After age 6: 1/10: my dad was dead, my mother had given my siblings and I to some people she met in rehab, we were treated very badly. After age 12, we moved back in with our mother but she popped pills like they were candy. The only good part of that was that I learned that I really don't need others and that human beings are absolute crap. (I have been cynical from a young age, thanks to that but hey! At least my heart does not get broken).

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

I'd rate it somewhere between the third and fourth options. It was hellish and abusive, but it could have been a lot worse.

The worst thing was that I was just isolated at home with my parents or grandparents most of the time and didn't get to go out and do things that much. I rarely got to do anything really fun or enjoyable. If I had, it might have mitigated the other bad things I had to go through.

I just remember hours and hours where I had nothing interesting or stimulating to do, and no one my own age to play with. Long days spent with my grandparents during the summer where we just watched TV and fanned ourselves in the heat, and listened to the obituary announcements on the radio. It was bleak.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:06 pm

Between 1st and 2nd option.

Looking objectively I would say my childhood was a pretty bad one - abusive, drunk father, overprotective yet unexperienced and always absent(working) mother, lack of friends, isolation, being bullied...

But for some reason I don't feel my childhood was bad at all.

I was a smart, independent kid. I was psychically strong enough to deal with the abuse. For a long time I was thinking "A human can eventually get used anything if it is his everyday reality. Everything is how it was supposed to be. I just have to find a way to deal with it. Everything is just an experience.". Of course, I have had my moments of breaking down. I was crying a lot. I even was suicidal. But those were just moments - I could easily meltdown when dad was yelling at and hitting me or kids at school taking my stuffs and throwing them out of window but my depressive mood rarely lasted for more than a few minutes. Usually I was smiling and taking from the life the best I could. There was too much to learn, too much interesting stuffs and experiences around to be bothered. I could easily forget the bad and move on.

I wish I could keep the easygoing personality forever. Unfortunately being an adult changes ones view of life.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:25 pm

Aside from some brief moments of happiness I'd chose to leave it in the past. Nobody really understood what I had as Autism/Aspergers wasn't in the forefront as it is now so everybody had their guesses as to what the hell was wrong with me, Plus some traumatic crap happened to me when I was in school when I was about 6 so yea I'd leave the whole childhood years in the past. hell even tho I'm only 33 my 30's are going much better then any other point in my life so far.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 5:30 pm

I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

I had some happy moments---but I couldn't wait to grow up, so I wouldn't be so restricted.

I got bullied some. I didn't have good relationships with people. I always felt like I was broke.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 10:58 pm

I picked #4, mostly due to experience in public school.
No human should be subjected to the public school system.

I'm not saying every class, person, and teacher was bad. Of course not. Some were great. But the bad was more than bad enough to get the #4 rating.
Things were pretty good before I started first grade.

edit=>
I would have to say that the forced socialization of public school was probably about the worst thing that could have happened. It was very systematically destructive.

Last edited by olympiadis on 29 Oct 2014, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 11:34 pm

I wouldn't rate my childhood at all....

It had nightmarish things I wouldn't wish on anybody.

It had happy things I would wish for everybody.

The happy things didn't make the nightmarish things less nightmarish.

The nightmarish things didn't make the happy things less happy.

Love transcends all.

wisenupjanetweiss
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Oct 2014, 11:41 pm

I wouldn't subject anyone to what I went through growing up, but I honestly know I could've had it much worse.

I still have happy memories, it wasn't all bad. I wish I would've been able to learn some lessons the "easy way", and known some things I know now, but whatever.