Anyone else hates going to the doctor?

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

do you have a problem with blood pressure checkup?
doesnt bother me at all 27%  27%  [ 13 ]
bothers me a little 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
kinda bothers me 18%  18%  [ 9 ]
bothers me a lot 37%  37%  [ 18 ]
meltdown 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 49

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 8:44 pm

Thanks for your best wishes.

Yep...the colonoscopy itself is quite painless; they put you under.

The two days before are a real pain in the butt (no pun intended)--like you stated.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Has your Crohn's returned?

My mother is dead set against surgery. She has what has been described as "Crohns colitis," meaning a hybrid of Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease.

This is what my mother wants: remission.

That sounds awful. My best wishes for her recovery. :(

My father has Crohn's Disease and I've spent a good portion of my life worrying that I'll inherit it, as well. I'm far more athletic and health-conscious than he was, but I still get paranoid...so paranoid that twice I opted to have colonoscopies, both of which came out clean, thank goodness.

I guess in those situations, you'd think I'd say I hated going to the doctor's, but really, the procedure itself is painless. It's the day of preparation before which is the hard part... :?

I don't think the reason most people are avoidant of colonscopies is because they think it will hurt...

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2015, 9:05 pm

I recollect reading an article some years ago relating to a Scandinavean survey of octagenarians, nonagenarians and centenarians. What the researcher found of particular interest was a commonality between many of the responses in that they rarely saw a doctor. You know the type of survey questions - when did you last see a doctor and for what reason?

The medical profession would argue that the respondees were so fit they didn't need to see a doctor regularly. I hold an opposing view that the respondees got to be octagenarians, nonagenarians and centenarians by not seeing doctors.

There is an inescapable fact that people die after seeing doctors. Might be a few years, but nevertheless once you see one you are doomed.

Alison

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:09 pm

Ganondox wrote:
I don't think the reason most people are avoidant of colonscopies is because they think it will hurt...

Trust me, I understand the apprehension, but really, you're knocked out for the entire procedure, so the thought of something going up there was never really a looming concern for me. I think, if anything, people who know how they work will be fearing the cleansing process more than anything else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

What they fear, I believe, is the potential RESULTS.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What they fear, I believe, is the potential RESULTS.

Well, that's true of any medical procedure, though: CAT scans, blood tests, even basic check-ups. I think the stigma surrounding colonoscopies revolves a whole lot more around what is inserted into where, or at least I'm inclined to believe so. It's definitely more...intrusive than blood tests.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Has your Crohn's returned?

My mother is dead set against surgery. She has what has been described as "Crohns colitis," meaning a hybrid of Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease.

This is what my mother wants: remission.

No, not in the small bowel. I have colitis in my rectal stump (don't ask).

Crohn's colitis isn't a hybrid of Crohn's and UC: it's just Crohn's in the colon. It's what I had, plus Crohn's of the terminal ileum as well.

Frankly, I've been through a decade of hell with this disease and wouldn't wish a permanent ileostomy on anyone, but if your mother wants remission then all she has to do is have the same surgery as I did - assuming she has no Crohn's in her small bowel. So yeah.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
My father has Crohn's Disease and I've spent a good portion of my life worrying that I'll inherit it, as well. I'm far more athletic and health-conscious than he was, but I still get paranoid...so paranoid that twice I opted to have colonoscopies, both of which came out clean, thank goodness.

I guess in those situations, you'd think I'd say I hated going to the doctor's, but really, the procedure itself is painless. It's the day of preparation before which is the hard part... :?

F***ing no point in worrying about it.

And being healthy and athletic won't protect you from Crohn's, ffs.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 9:50 pm

NiceCupOfTea wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:

F***ing no point in worrying about it.

And being healthy and athletic won't protect you from Crohn's, ffs.

Yeah, I know...it seems like it's either a "you have it or you don't" kind of thing, though doctors are obvious still pretty unclear about its nature and cause. I still at least do whatever I can to keep my body and insides as healthy as possible, just on principle.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 10:47 pm

I have to usually be put under for the dentist.

I had the same pediatrician up until I moved a few months ago, that was trained on how to examine autistic kids, so I was able to tolerate him. That carried over to my new one. But I still hate being examined. I really hate the blood pressure cuff.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 2:54 pm

I actually love my doctor. She's really understanding of my special needs, and she is also super nice too. I have not had any problems with her whatsoever. <3 I did have issues with previous doctors though, but I don't really feel like getting into that right now. DX

As for dentists, I'm absolutely terrified of them. When I had the rest of my teeth pulled, they had to put me under because there was no other way for them to do get my other teeth out. I get so frightened by dentists all of the time because they poke and prod your mouth all the time. I've been terrified of them since I was three. D:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:08 pm

This may sound weird, but I actually kind of enjoy going to the doctor. I like getting out of the house for any reason, even if it's something as mundane as that. I like answering the questions. I don't like getting shots, but I can handle them. I don't find any parts of the process that hard.

I used to hate going to the dentist more than anything. I was very sensitive to the "little prick" that comes when they give you novocaine. I would scream. I also don't like the taste or feel of the dentist's toothpaste, or the water they squirt in your mouth. I don't find it a pleasant experience, but it has to be done.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 3:48 pm

I really dislike going to doctors. I rarely go, as in less than once per year, and only for urgent care at that. I don't go for checkups. And I haven't been to a dentist in over 16 (17?) years.

I have really low blood pressure and having it checked can make me feel like I am going to pass out. It hurts. Having it checked by a person is not as bad as the machines that do it automatically.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:11 pm

I'm in the minority of people in this thread who are OK with going to the doctor. However, my next appointment is this Thursday 2/12 that I didn't schedule. My mom, an absolute control freak, scheduled it without talking to me about it first.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 4:42 pm

Getting my blood pressure taken feels really, really weird, but I can survive it. Thinking about it, when I chose my poll option, I think I underestimated how much I dislike it.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 6:25 am

Going to doctor is slightly stressful to me. Mostly because I'm always trying to convince them with my own ideas and diagnosis. :D I'm very picky about my doctors, they need to be kind, tolerant, full of experience and knowledge, and willing to learn about any new information they didn't already know. Luckily I have found some who know enough for me to trust them, yet are open minded enough to listen to my ideas.