Nobody likes what I like, so I just don't talk anymore.

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 7:10 pm

i would not take seriously, the generally jejune opinions of those who exalt sports.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2021, 7:16 pm

Old thread but I can relate to the OP's sentiments. It's a bit like if you know anything about anything and it's not career or this week's pop culture related - you're weird. When I figured out that I'd reliably find this anywhere I went my expectations of other people plummeted, at the same time though it's a strange place to be - almost like I'm surrounded by another species of hominid that's shed most of its cerebral cortex for reasons of caloric expense with some deep intrinsic insight that it's throw-away to nature and if throw-away to nature complex thought is evolutionarily disadvantageous.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 5:45 pm

I never talk about things I'm interested in with others. Conversely, I never listen to what others are talking about (unless they mean something to me). Why should I care about what you're saying when you don't care about me? Waste of time.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 5:56 pm

don't share your goodies with the undeserving and uncomprehending.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 7:21 pm

I never share my relics, I mean goodies with people who are outside my circle anymore.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 7:35 pm

i could count on the number of fingers of one hand, the number of folks who grok me and my stuff.

Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 9:11 pm

Not sharing can be a way to build a space for yourself to breathe in.

I remember when I was younger, and friends and family attempted to forcefully pull me into their world (and pull my interests out of me). Nowadays I have no contact with any of them and instead I've learnt to accept and appreciate myself more.

You're kind of made to believe that there's something deeply wrong with you that shouldn't be allowed to exist when you grow up with autism.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 6:17 am

Luckily my interests are interesting to most NTs but are unpopular here on WP.

But I don't really have any special interests or obsessions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 6:43 am

I think many people here like amusement parks.....

I like them...but I get too dizzy to go on the rides.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 11:47 am

i find it a bit lonely that there aren't more folks here who are into DSP for the purpose of restoring audio or video or photographic information.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2021, 1:06 pm

Throughout most of my adult life, I've made a point of seeking out the few people who shared my interests.

LaurenMK
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2021, 6:55 am

I do the same. The mindless chit chat, otherwise, will drive me absolutely bonkers. It took 38 years of existence though to realize that only intellectual NTs are my go to for real conversation. Just seems to take much longer to identify those safety nets.