Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 12:40 pm

Yes. Traveling alone by car is one of life's great gifts. Time to think and clear one's head.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 9:27 am

Yes, no problem really. Just go from A to B, keep yourself on somewhat crowded streets and don't make yourself a victim by letting your wallet hang out or leave your expensive laptop unattended in a restaurant while you go to the toilet. Also i stay inside at night.

I generally stay away from crowds, but sometimes you cannot get away from them. Like mentioned above, you can go around them, walk on sidestreets etc to not get stressed out. I usually carry a few google earth printouts of the whole area and i also got a mental snapshot of the city in case i should lose the maps. I take my time, visit parks, take pictures of the city, mostly the green areas with running water etc. I liked Prag, went up to the castle and visited the old town to see the special clock. And i did this all by myself, most others just sat around in the hotel drinking beer.

I find it easier not having to worry about others, or be slowed down by others and not being tied down because someone got to visit the bathroom or whatever excuse that stops me from exploring. Same goes for when i head out deep into nature, i just need the basic gear (first aid, water filter, map, compass etc) and a good camera. Most of my friends live in other cities and none of them are into nature or travelling so i don't even bother asking them if they want to join me because i already know their answer.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2017, 11:52 am

I'm afraid to travel alone, even walking down the street, because there's the chance that I'll pass out. There are too many horrible possibilities that come with that. Hitting my head, or someone taking advantage of my vulnerability, to name a few. But it's great that you're independent. I think most people expect women to be afraid to go anywhere alone, but how realistic those fears are depends on the person. If you can prepare for and react to emergencies well, I see no reason for anyone to take such extreme caution. Even my parents, who are hyper-protective, let my teenage sister travel by plane on her own.

Kovu
Raven
Raven

28 Dec 2017, 12:23 pm

Actually yes, but I'm starting to get tired of it because I dislike being friendless all the time.

Obviously doing things alone is the norm to me.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 1:35 pm

I do, but so far trips that take around three hours at most have been the maximum. Last summer I planned to go to an event in a city that is around 5-6 hours car drive away (I was supposed to go with a bus, having to switch busses only once), but mom made a fuss and dad decided to take me there with his car to shut her up... and I suppose he was a bit worried, too. I get lost very easily since I have hard time with reading maps and... understand my surroundings? I don't know how to say it in English and google translate isn't helping. The panic that I often get if I get lost or things don't go as planned is also a problem, not to mention stressing about the possibility of such a panic attack happening.

I go to events in bigger cities that are around a few hour car drives away a few times a year, and these days usually go alone or with my little sister or her friends who make me do all the planning, so that is close to going alone. These trips usually go well since the events are almost always in the same places, which are places I'm used to and know how to get to them from the bus stations. Usually I walk from a bus station to the event, or hotel if the event isn't open yet, but if the weather is really terrible, it's really cold or just dark outside then I take a taxi. So far I haven't used the local busses since they make me stress too much as I have to find out which stop do I get the right bus from and where to find that stop, find out which bus will take me where I want to go, find out how much it costs (well, this one is easy), find out where to get off and then find out how to find the destination from there! A taxi costs much more, but it's just so much simpler.
When it comes to the place I sleep in if I'm staying the night, I can arrange those things on my own. However, when something goes wrong, like the time they had accidentally cancelled my reservation, I often go in to a panic and can't handle things. Mom took care of that for me. However, when I have everything planned ahead and things actually go according to plans, I really enjoy traveling.

I never take a train. I've been in a train once in my life (twice if you count the fact that I had to switch trains) and that was with my sister when I was a teenager. I just don't know how to get in to a train and all that... it's probably really simple and I'd learn it if I tried, but so far there hasn't been any need and I don't like the idea of having to learn it alone.

I've been abroad four times. Twice by ship, twice by flying, and none of these have been alone. It's not like I don't like the idea of traveling alone, but since I'm bad at the very basics of handling things that have to do with traveling, like booking tickets, hotel and what to do at the airport etc. I honestly don't think traveling alone would be that smart for me. There's also the fact that if something goes wrong, I would have to try to fix things in a language I'm not too comfortable speaking, so things I could handle in my home country could become very hard elsewhere. When I get better at this stuff (if I do) then I'll definitely travel alone if I can't find decent company as long as I have money, but before that? No way... unless it's a well guided trip that old people around here tend to use. :lol:

All that said, I'm proud of myself for going to my aunt's place for her birthday today, alone. While she lives at the neighboring city and I've actually been there before, I was really nervous. I've only ever been there with my mom, in her car so I didn't really need to pay attention to where we were going or look for landmarks, not to mention she always drives there from the opposite direction of where the bus comes from. Now, I went there with a bus, or two busses to be exact. The first bus I could easily handle since it took me to a place where I often go to, but from there I had to first find the other bus and then pay close attention to when to get off... in the end I ended up jumping off a few stops too soon, but I had a phone and google maps so all went well. Might actually visit her more often; I need more social life.

Goldenhawk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Dec 2017, 7:01 pm

I have to do frequent travel alone for work. I do a lot of research before I go anywhere so I know exactly where my hotel and the office is located, including using Google Street View to look at the area and do a virtual drive from the hotel to the office so I know what to look for. A GPS is essential for me. The one time I did a short trip without it, the 5 minute journey down the road took 40 as I got confused and turned off too early and got lost.

I've never really been afraid to travel alone. My mother keeps telling me a should be and that I'm vulnerable as a woman on my own - but I've never felt vulnerable or scared. Overseas travel is a bit more daunting. I would actually like to bring my husband with me, he's good company, but it's not possible.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

28 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

I went hitchhiking and almost got raped 8O
Then the nearly-there rapist gave it a second thought and backed off.
I'm not afraid of traveling. I'm afraid of people.

MissChess
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2017, 7:46 pm

While in the military, I drove alone from Cheyenne to Seattle and back on leave once or twice a year. I very much enjoyed the quiet time, as well as the "singing at the top of my lungs to keep myself awake" time.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 7:51 pm

I like traveling in foreign countries alone. I can go where and do what I want with no input from anyone else. The locals think I'm weird because I'm a foreigner and not because I'm just weird. I tend to get lost a lot, but that's OK because there's no one waiting for me and no deadlines, and that can lead to interesting sights and experiences.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2017, 8:03 pm

MissChess wrote:
While in the military, I drove alone from Cheyenne to Seattle and back on leave once or twice a year. I very much enjoyed the quiet time, as well as the "singing at the top of my lungs to keep myself awake" time.

I wish I was stationed as close to home in a similar manner when I was in.

autlander
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2017, 4:56 am

I'm from Western Europe and it's really over crowded out here, so I feel so much freedom when roadtripping in North America or Australia. It's such a blessing to find wide open space and so much beautiful nature overthere. And on the other hand it gives me a weird sense of comfort knowing there's always a Walmart nearby that's open 24/7, allthough I'm in bed from 10PM till 7AM basicly. I'm not the one who needs everyting done at set times, but I need the world arround me to be.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jan 2018, 1:25 pm

I've always traveled alone between Hong Kong and the UK ever since I was 15 years old.
It's not that scary.
People who sell the train tickets in London act like I've achieved something really great or something.

kii
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2018, 2:08 pm

As Boo mentions, driving alone is personally a therapeutic experience. In general I prefer travelling alone, less restricted.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:48 pm

I can't go anywhere by myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:00 pm

I have no choice but to go places by myself, as I know nobody who will accompany me.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 6:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I have no choice but to go places by myself, as I know nobody who will accompany me.

That's often my case so I'm stuck at home.