Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 11:28 pm

Obsessions = happiness, except for when I get obsessed with a computer game or whatever and it interferes with doing anything else. In that case, obsessions = happiness + frustration at not being able to think of/do anything else.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 4:19 am

Kajjie,

I meant that if I didn't like my obsessive interest, it wouldn't be AS/HFA/whatever you want to call it otherwise. It'd be "O"-type OCD then as the obsession would cause some form of discomfort, rather than the joy/whatever is felt when someone with AS/HFA/whatever you want to call it obsesses over their interest.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2009, 4:42 am

I love my books. Especially my philosophy books. And my art books. And my classic literature books. And all my other books. I think I'll go down to the bookshop in my lunchbreak tomorrow and buy some more books. I even like repeating the word 'book'. Book book book. Chicken. Book just makes my head feel all nice and warm and humm-like.

You know I'd never considered whether I enjoyed having an obsession before. But now that I do consider it, I find that I like it very much. It gives my life meaning (in the absence of any all-pervading religion/philosophy/personlove/social conscience). It gives me something to work for and to aspire to. It gives me something to lose myself in. If I didn't have my books, the world would be impossible.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2009, 5:45 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Kajjie,

I meant that if I didn't like my obsessive interest, it wouldn't be AS/HFA/whatever you want to call it otherwise. It'd be "O"-type OCD then as the obsession would cause some form of discomfort, rather than the joy/whatever is felt when someone with AS/HFA/whatever you want to call it obsesses over their interest.

Ah. I see. Maybe I am more OCD than AS then. You know a lot about this stuff. :)

ayra
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Location: My invented world, ie Kalia (kuh-lee-uh) or just stuck in Texas rollercoaster weather

07 Apr 2009, 5:41 pm

Ruchard wrote:
yes i am happy with mine because its my escape from the outside world and gives me peace of mind.

YES!! ! That's how i am. my family thinks its weird that i like to pace, but it relaxes me. it is an obssesion, but i don't care. it keeps me from getting mad every other five seconds.

My cat is the only one lately to try and distract me from this world.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2009, 5:49 pm

I'm not really sure what I'd do during the day if I had no obsessions. Watch T.V. all the time? I can't imagine myself happier than I am when indulging my interests.

kornchild
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2009, 11:41 am

I love my obsessions! Sometimes I wish I could become a little less obsessive though.

redplanet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Apr 2009, 12:43 pm

Mostly I love my obsessions as they give my life meaning. Sometimes they make me feel a bit depressed but only when they take over so much that I feel I'm losing touch with reality.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

08 Apr 2009, 3:42 pm

Heck yeah! I wouldn't ever think they were a problem unless I was forgetting to eat or sleep or something, and I don't think there's any danger of that. Other people sometimes think they're a bit weird, but I usually find they have some vested interest in getting me to do what they want to do instead (have X lifestyle, wear Y fashion, accumulate "desirable" consumer object Z, and so forth.) Um, no thanks.

Like you, Huskywolf, my interests have helped me through some rough times. One of them I will give at least partial credit for saving my life. So I'm not about to knock that.