Should I threaten my social worker with suicide?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

spaghedeity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2012, 11:05 am

I understand wondering if you should consider threatening to hurt yourself, I've had the same thought run through my ahead. I'm having a really, really rough time this summer, and it just keeps getting worse. I've watched my adaptations disappear - even things I didn't realize were adaptations. I'm not able to talk to strangers, or leave the house without my boyfriend, or talk on the phone... I've had incidents where I truly wonder if I'm actually losing touch with reality - not just interpretation, but actual perception. I am so shattered that I do believe that during my worst moments lately that if I did not care so much more about how much it would hurt my loved ones, I would have hurt myself.

And yet, when I have actually been at centers and a hospital, begging for help, I am turned away because I answer honestly when they ask if I'm a danger to myself or others. I can't understand it . I have, many times recently, been completely convinced that every person I have ever known would be better off if I had never existed. The only thing keeping me safe is that I know how much it would hurt people if I hurt myself. What if it turns out my overactive empathy is something I've learned and can lose like everything else? What if I have a real psychotic break? All I want is treatment, and because I'm broke and now uninsured, I am placed on waiting lists and sent away.

In any event, I know where you are coming from. I think you should consider Nessa's advice, or try to find an advocate like him/her in your community. I am limited in how often I have the energy to been seek help, and the rejection is devastating... maybe you could find someone who can try to handle this on your behalf? I wish you luck.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Just out of personal interest, can I ask why my post, giving practical, tried and tested advice on what to do, has been completely ignored?

Is it because I don't talk in a 'cool' enough way? Do I in fact talk like a very uncool person with Asperger's Syndrome?

For once, I'd just like to know exactly why the OP has ignored my advice.

Really sorry, it's not that at all - I have a bad problem with procrastination, and it simply increases the longer a task would take (in this case, a piece of text), although I always still intend to read it (I have over 40 open tabs right now from months ago all in the same situation... I can never close them, because I still want to read them, but I never actually find any time to read them because I'm always reading newer text).

At any rate, I have now read what you wrote but, like a couple of others who suggested lawsuits, I'm not sure when it comes to legality (I suppose I can go to the CAB and check). I guess I can do research on my social worker, though... eventually.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Rorberyllium wrote:
In the US a single male with no children or dependents (even one with documented disabilities) would not get a free apartment.

Many single women with young children don't get apartments also.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:07 pm

Mootoo wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Just out of personal interest, can I ask why my post, giving practical, tried and tested advice on what to do, has been completely ignored?

Is it because I don't talk in a 'cool' enough way? Do I in fact talk like a very uncool person with Asperger's Syndrome?

For once, I'd just like to know exactly why the OP has ignored my advice.

Really sorry, it's not that at all - I have a bad problem with procrastination, and it simply increases the longer a task would take (in this case, a piece of text), although I always still intend to read it (I have over 40 open tabs right now from months ago all in the same situation... I can never close them, because I still want to read them, but I never actually find any time to read them because I'm always reading newer text).

At any rate, I have now read what you wrote but, like a couple of others who suggested lawsuits, I'm not sure when it comes to legality (I suppose I can go to the CAB and check). I guess I can do research on my social worker, though... eventually.

Surely the easiest and quickest option is to find somewhere to rent privately - then you get to choose where you live yourself.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Surely the easiest and quickest option is to find somewhere to rent privately - then you get to choose where you live yourself.

Assuming the OP is on benefits (that's the equivalent of "welfare" to any readers over the pond) if you rent privately and are a single person you do not get the same allowance as you do if you rent from the council or a housing association. People who can afford to rent privately are not normally people who are on benefits. This law has been changed recently and means that renting privately is simply not an option if you are poor. If you want to have a house, and not just a tiny poky room sharing with other people, you pretty much have to agree to live wherever the council decide to put you.

OP, if you are not on benefits, I apologise for making a wrong assumption.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:42 pm

Plodder wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Assuming the OP is on benefits (that's the equivalent of "welfare" to any readers over the pond) if you rent privately and are a single person you do not get the same allowance as you do if you rent from the council or a housing association. People who can afford to rent privately are not normally people who are on benefits. This law has been changed recently and means that renting privately is simply not an option if you are poor. If you want to have a house, and not just a tiny poky room sharing with other people, you pretty much have to agree to live wherever the council decide to put you.

OP, if you are not on benefits, I apologise for making a wrong assumption.

Ok

Where I live, they have a scheme whereby they advertise the council housing that is available on a website and people can bid for properties ie:-

https://www.homesinthecity.org.uk/proje ... e_all=TRUE

Does the OP's local council run a scheme like this?

What town do you live in?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 2:53 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Oh, actually, IS life in a mental hospital worse? Have you ever been to one? I think that's just a prejudice - I seriously doubt much more than this is worse. I'm even starting to believe maximum security units are better (in terms of noise, possibly). It's just that what most people consider bad I usually don't - all I want is quietness; most people seem to want to be busy, on the other hand.

I was in one for over a month back when I was 14, and I had a two different attractive girlfriends while I was there.

Plodder
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:24 pm

Venger wrote:
Mootoo wrote:
Oh, actually, IS life in a mental hospital worse? Have you ever been to one? I think that's just a prejudice - I seriously doubt much more than this is worse. I'm even starting to believe maximum security units are better (in terms of noise, possibly). It's just that what most people consider bad I usually don't - all I want is quietness; most people seem to want to be busy, on the other hand.

I was in one for over a month back when I was 14, and I had a two different attractive girlfriends while I was there.

I have never been in one and hope I never will, but one (possibly wrong) assumption I have about them is that they will give you medication whether you like it or not.

OP please be careful, and don't do anything that would make them drag you off to one of those places to be pumped full of drugs.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:35 pm

Plodder wrote:
Venger wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

I have never been in one and hope I never will, but one (possibly wrong) assumption I have about them is that they will give you medication whether you like it or not.

OP please be careful, and don't do anything that would make them drag you off to one of those places to be pumped full of drugs.

Yes they almost always try to make you take various medication there. An adult mental-ward is probably not very fun by the way.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 5:52 pm

Well, I was thinking of trying SNRIs, at any rate... could actually be helpful as I'm terrible with day-to-day consistency (although I did hear that it is, in reality, difficult to get into a hospital).

@nessa238 - bidding's possible here too but it seems to take many years to get anywhere, and from what I've been told I won't necessarily get a flat that's better than the one I have... location seems to be random (although I suppose bidding gives one some control).

(Also, Plodder is correct - I really wouldn't want to share a flat... tried it in the past and had to keep moving due to internal problems, though ironically, as I've mentioned, they were all in quiet locations - opposite issues.)

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 9:23 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Well, I was thinking of trying SNRIs, at any rate... could actually be helpful as I'm terrible with day-to-day consistency (although I did hear that it is, in reality, difficult to get into a hospital).

@nessa238 - bidding's possible here too but it seems to take many years to get anywhere, and from what I've been told I won't necessarily get a flat that's better than the one I have... location seems to be random (although I suppose bidding gives one some control).

(Also, Plodder is correct - I really wouldn't want to share a flat... tried it in the past and had to keep moving due to internal problems, though ironically, as I've mentioned, they were all in quiet locations - opposite issues.)

Sounds like you have a better plan now.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2012, 11:28 pm

Smaller towns often mean less noise. At least less traffic noise. But no guarantees that the neighbors won't be fond of 3 a.m. music.

Even if you do move, you'll have to survive until then. I don't know much about it, but you could probably research soundproofing on the internet. There might be ways to decrease the sound getting into your apartment. (But consider fire hazards when designing. Too much flammable stuff piled against your walls would probably be a danger to you and your neighbors.)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 5:08 am

My house is on a semi-main road and my bedroom and front room are on the road-facing side of the house. While I was aware of the traffic noise when I moved in I got used to it after a while.
We also have double glazing which helps a lot. When watching the TV I'm not aware of the traffic
except if an ambulance or police car goes past but these don't bother me. I spend most of my time at the back of the house on the computer.

The next door neighbours sometimes play their music loud during the day so it sounds like there's a disco going on but we've tolerated it as it's not ear-splitting and the neighbours on the other side's son used to practice his electric guitar which was much louder and more annoying as he wasn't much good at it.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

If you are suicidal, then it is a good idea to speak with someone (even anonymously over a telephone hotline). If you are just unhappy, claiming that you are suicidal will most likely have unfortunate consequences.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute