A game to experience what it's like to have Autism.

Page 4 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2012, 8:30 pm

AshleyT wrote:
playgroundlover wrote:
Make sure one of the traits is special interests. Like maybe someone is talking about playgrounds as that is one of my special interests. You know like what kinds of climbers, slides, panels, etc.? Basically any special interest where the person is so focused on one particular thing that no one else really cares about etc. Also for the school scene. Maybe you could express the academic troubles of autism like maybe the rest of the class is ready to move on with the notes and the teacher moved on to the next slide but because you have autism you write slower than most so you didn't get all the notes fast enough and you have to use the social Q's to ask the teacher for a copy of the notes etc. Also maybe show that you need more time for tests or a quieter environment to take tests in.

The quieter environment to take tests I have an idea of how to convey - due to heightened sensory/hearing i'm going to get the user to try and answer questions with a lot of irritating noises (which will make it frustrating).

As for the special interests - i'm really unsure of how to convey this! Apart from the character being calmer in-game when persuing them (i.e reducing stress levels). Do you have any ideas possibly?

Well, my special interests are music, playgrounds, toilets, and school. Maybe Someone has an obsession with construction or something. Maybe an NT walks up to the aspie and says Hey What'sup? Then the aspie could then reply nothing much. Hey, look at this tractor. Isn't it cool how yellow it is? Then they role a fact about tractors. The NT reply's going that sure is cool. Actually interested. Until the aspie comes back and says Well, how about those helmants? That sure is a nice jackhammer. Then the NT says something like yeah that's cool I took my dog to the vet this weekend. and...(in attempt to change the conversation out of board em.) Just before the NT can finish his sentence the aspie goes on saying "that's cool. Look at this drywall. And these orange cones. They're soooo orange. Orange and yellow are my favorite colors. Not noticing that the NT has not walked away and isn't listening anymore. But the aspie doesn't pick up on this cue and continues his obsession carelessly. If you know what I mean.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2012, 10:11 pm

I have the perfect game already created for you and give you permission to use it for your assignment. I'll tell you how to make it, very simple.

STEP ONE:
Go to the toy store and buy one of these to simulate life -

STEP TWO: Go to the hardware store and buy these -

STEP THREE: Find a few foreign exchange students who don't speak the NT's, or each others', language.
[u]
STEP FOUR:
Have the NT play The Game of Life while holding a conversation with the foreign exchange students, with the air horn blasting in his ears and the flashlight shining in is eyes, and give him half the time needs to complete his turns.

STEP 5: Pat yourself on the back, you have taught someone what life is like with autism.