Sounds that you cannot STAND!! ! grrrr!! !

Page 4 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Quintex
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2013, 7:49 am

Vacuum cleaners
Ticking clocks (after house sitting my sister in law asked why I removed all clock batteries)
Some electronic equipment (high pitched scream)
Most small gas motors (lawn mowers)
Aircraft jet engines (I used to run into the house when I was little even before anyone else could hear them fly over)
Metal hitting metal (nail guns, church bells)
Fans (particularly exhaust fans in range hoods and bathrooms, also in computers)
Vehicles with "tuned" exhaust
Children screeching

Pretty much everything, I wear custom -24db earplugs anytime I am out of my home. Some people who notice them think they are hearing aids and then shout at me which kind of defeats the purpose.

I get tested annually for hearing loss at work and every year the tester thinks I am messing with them since my hearing levels are beyond normal.

I hear everything in a room at the same volume, no matter what the SPL meter says the volume is, which makes it very hard to concentrate on a single source such as someone making a presentation. Ticking clocks at grade school drove me crazy.

Don't even get me started on light levels outside and in public buildings (no I don't wear sunglasses to look "cool").

Wycca
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 12:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Wycca wrote:
the worse of them all is the sound my rat makes when she tries to get a drink and her water bottle has gone empty. Instant rage right there.

can you describe that sound?

I'm not sure how to describe it outside of what it is which is a ball bearing hitting the end of a metal tube rapidly. Something about that clicking sort of noise it makes drives me nuts. It doesn't make that noise when it's full only when it's empty.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 1:37 pm

Shrillness, some buzzing sounds can be annoying at times, that tongue clicking sound, some people's voices. loud snoring

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 3:22 pm

Wycca wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Wycca wrote:
the worse of them all is the sound my rat makes when she tries to get a drink and her water bottle has gone empty. Instant rage right there.

I'm not sure how to describe it outside of what it is which is a ball bearing hitting the end of a metal tube rapidly. Something about that clicking sort of noise it makes drives me nuts. It doesn't make that noise when it's full only when it's empty.

how much of that is irritation at the rat for bothering you?

Wycca

06 Aug 2013, 9:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Wycca wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Wycca wrote:

how much of that is irritation at the rat for bothering you?[/quote

None I love my little ratty but I wish she'd drink out of a bowl rather than that bottle.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 9:49 pm

Wycca wrote:
I love my little ratty but I wish she'd drink out of a bowl rather than that bottle.

am no animal expert, but I know my sister's gerbils were willing to drink out of a bowl, when that was their only option.

treblecake
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2013, 9:54 pm

Knuckle cracking or any kind of cracking of bones and when people rub their hands together. Also really loud hand dryers.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:45 pm

Harpsichords and saxophones. My own recorded voice trying to sing. Certain styles of jazz. X-tra bass that I can hear more than 3 blocks away.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2013, 10:46 pm

the style of bass popular with rap and hiphop.

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2013, 5:54 pm

Any sudden loud noises
Jazz and crooners
Beeping alarms
Children screaming, which all the local children do the minute the sun comes out
And...
Helicopters.

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStMepUPYVk[/youtube]

Styrofoam rubbing against something.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 7:10 pm

High-pitched buzzers (e.g., the old-fashioned type of smoke detector).

Whispering OR speaking too loudly, especially when the latter verges on shrillness/shrieking. Find a middle ground, will you? Along the same lines, when people do that, I start talking more loudly to compensate, and then the person says "why are you yelling?" Um, to make myself heard over you? :x

Certain tones/types of voices...some people just sound "whiny" all the time, even when they're just talking "normally."

Ever see that Progressive ad with the guy announcing "Let's get ready to BUNDLE!" and that word is dragged out for at least a full minute? I realize that "he's annoying" is part of the point, but I mute that ad every single time (and, while many people dislike Flo, I don't really have a problem with most of the other ads in that series).

Babies/young kids screaming and shrieking...learned to tune that out, or else I couldn't work where I do. I just tell myself "at least I don't have to deal with them after they leave...that's Mommy and Daddy's job."

Someone swishing their mouth right next to me. Ever have someone do that with their milk right after eating? I've had to suppress the urge to...well, you can probably imagine. Eww.

And then, there are the times when any sound is unbearable...and I can't really fault anyone/anything for that...it's just me. Right now, for example, my head feels like it's vibrating from any noise/sound at all--headache-inducing, and anxiety-inducing. :(

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 10:55 am

I just remembered a sound that I heard one day in a store that made me have one of my few public meltdowns...

WINDCHIMES! I can't stand those!! !! I was in a store where they had a ton of them hanging and this kid went up to them and started hitting all of them at once. I went nuts!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 12:37 pm

nice friendly windchimes :huh: oh well, I guess it goes to show that we are all vastly different from one another.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm

Ambulance siren, loudly sipped drinks, people chewing with their mouth open, certain types of coughing, the kind of loud noise when too many people talk in a store/mall/bus, food frying, loud static on TV......
NAILS ON A CHALKBOARD WILL MAKE ME GO NUTS

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2013, 3:17 pm

auntblabby wrote:
nice friendly windchimes :huh: oh well, I guess it goes to show that we are all vastly different from one another.

I have found that one set of wind chimes sounding gently in a soft breeze is incredibly soothing. But someone setting off multiple wind chimes all at the same time can be maddening! The set of wind chimes that I own now, was carefully shopped for. I remember setting off one set at a time, and finally picking the ones that had the most mellow, soothing tones.