Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:00 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
http://www.stickwithitsugar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/e9db43ba7048e055bf943e7e52d691be.jpg

How I see the majority of word puzzles. ^

Personally, I wouldn't be able to half this number without a calculator, or at least not without spending half a day messing up on simple calculations first. My brain is really, really bad at maths. It's no wonder I got an E in the subject last time, I just hope I pass this time because I'm sick of redoing maths time and time again. Doesn't help that numbers switch around in my brain too. It just makes me want to have a breakdown. 8O

For me it's more like:

Question asker: If you have 4 pencils and I have 7 apples...
Me: Wait, how many pencils does who have?

Yeah, I can understand that. It's like those questions that are like "If I have a jug, how much liquid can I have?" Well, how big is the jug?

For me it's a bit like:

Ok, so they have 7 pencils and 4 apples... wait no, 4 pencils and 7 apples... or was it pens? And this is in a shop, right so 4 pencils, 7 apples, what was the currency rate again? Ah right, that's it. So I had 4 and 7 of something... wait what was the question again? *Reads part of another question because my brain gets the questions confused* Ah yes, 4 pens... wait no 7 pencils, 4 apples plus a parachute? Wait no...

:D

I know the conversation has gone to being about ferrets now, but I would say what I go through for maths questions is very like what Bart did in the Simpsons (from the episode "Bart the genius").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jq_9ghf-jI

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have interrupted ferret discussion but I just wanted to add that.

That's ok, the Ferret discussion could be considered an interruption to the Pie discussion. Or you can just call it one naturally flowing Aspie conversation. Squirrel! ;)

I can totally relate to that video when the word problems are verbal. I got asked the Pie question as part of a battery of neuro-psychology tests that involved word problems. I got mad after a few and asked if I could just read them. I was told it was verbal only. I tried my best on all of the questions. I got half of them wrong. I told the guy it was a sh***y way to test my math skills. He told me it wasn't a math test, it was a working memory test :o

Yeah, I've noticed on this site that conversation seems to just flow in every direction. Sometimes I'll click on threads and what's being discussed is completely different to what the original subject was, so then I go through all the pages of the thread trying to understand the progression of it all. I've been on other forums before, and usually the conversations are more focused, so it's like multiple people are discussing the same thing and directly working with the OP, but here it's more like multiple conversations (some unrelated to the topic) are going on at the same time. :D

Yeah.........about that.......Sorry! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
http://www.stickwithitsugar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/e9db43ba7048e055bf943e7e52d691be.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't be able to half this number without a calculator, or at least not without spending half a day messing up on simple calculations first. My brain is really, really bad at maths. It's no wonder I got an E in the subject last time, I just hope I pass this time because I'm sick of redoing maths time and time again. Doesn't help that numbers switch around in my brain too. It just makes me want to have a breakdown. 8O

For me it's more like:

Yeah, I can understand that. It's like those questions that are like "If I have a jug, how much liquid can I have?" Well, how big is the jug?

For me it's a bit like:

Ok, so they have 7 pencils and 4 apples... wait no, 4 pencils and 7 apples... or was it pens? And this is in a shop, right so 4 pencils, 7 apples, what was the currency rate again? Ah right, that's it. So I had 4 and 7 of something... wait what was the question again? *Reads part of another question because my brain gets the questions confused* Ah yes, 4 pens... wait no 7 pencils, 4 apples plus a parachute? Wait no...

I know the conversation has gone to being about ferrets now, but I would say what I go through for maths questions is very like what Bart did in the Simpsons (from the episode "Bart the genius").

Sorry, I probably shouldn't have interrupted ferret discussion but I just wanted to add that.

That's ok, the Ferret discussion could be considered an interruption to the Pie discussion. Or you can just call it one naturally flowing Aspie conversation. Squirrel! ;)

I can totally relate to that video when the word problems are verbal. I got asked the Pie question as part of a battery of neuro-psychology tests that involved word problems. I got mad after a few and asked if I could just read them. I was told it was verbal only. I tried my best on all of the questions. I got half of them wrong. I told the guy it was a sh***y way to test my math skills. He told me it wasn't a math test, it was a working memory test :o

Yeah, I've noticed on this site that conversation seems to just flow in every direction. Sometimes I'll click on threads and what's being discussed is completely different to what the original subject was, so then I go through all the pages of the thread trying to understand the progression of it all. I've been on other forums before, and usually the conversations are more focused, so it's like multiple people are discussing the same thing and directly working with the OP, but here it's more like multiple conversations (some unrelated to the topic) are going on at the same time. :D

I sort of enjoy the ebb and flow

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:02 pm

soloha wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:
Half as many more or less?

As for the Ferret thing.. Think i was the source! 8O

Half as many less.

Then it is 49.5 , I was wrong then.

but just the statement 'half as many' = the amount + half ( IMO )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Last edited by SaveFerris on 09 Aug 2017, 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

soloha wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
soloha wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:

For me it's more like:

For me it's a bit like:

I sort of enjoy the ebb and flow

Ha that's good :D . There are a lot of threads where I seem to be having a completely separate conversation with someone else lol.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:08 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It's alright, I'm just not used to it, I'm more used to a way more structured back and forth conversation that ends with a resolution. I've also noticed that people tend to quote entire threads here too (I do that as well) but in most chat forums I've seen they tend to focus on individual posts, rather than quote the whole conversation... mind you, in this place there's so many conversations going on at once that you almost have to quote which one you mean in order for people to tell which conversation you're taking part in. :D

Almost 25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:11 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

It's alright, I'm just not used to it, I'm more used to a way more structured back and forth conversation that ends with a resolution. I've also noticed that people tend to quote entire threads here too (I do that as well) but in most chat forums I've seen they tend to focus on individual posts, rather than quote the whole conversation... mind you, in this place there's so many conversations going on at once that you almost have to quote which one you mean in order for people to tell which conversation you're taking part in. :D

Exactly. It's all over the place here lol!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

It's a longstanding WP tradition to digress......

1Biggles1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:13 pm

Yeah, kind of an autie thing apparently! :roll:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

1Biggles1 wrote:
Yeah, kind of an autie thing apparently! :roll:

Yup- I lose focus a lot :D

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 1:31 pm

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:35 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
soloha wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:

Half as many less.

What planet are you from?

Half as many = half as many (half of the amount)

you're confused.

you're thinking "half again"

"half again" equals "the amount plus fifty percent more".

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

The wrong one - clearly :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:38 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOO :D :lol:

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 1:41 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
soloha wrote:
1Biggles1 wrote:

Half as many less.

Half as many = half as many (half of the amount)

you're confused.

you're thinking "half again"

"half again" equals "the amount plus fifty percent more".

Though I think the more common interpretation of "half as many" is "divide by two", I can totally understand considering "half as many" as an unfinished statement where the brain says "half as many more or half as many less ... which is it?" I've done similar things myself. I started this whole topic because my brain could not conceive 99 pies could be divided evenly in two so ... :)

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2017, 1:41 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

hah!

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2017, 1:43 pm

soloha wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

hah!

I can't believe this thread has 5 pages :lol: . Sorry for starting up the whole ferret thing! :D