Page 4 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

quizzical_chum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2006, 9:30 pm

I took the paper version of this test two weeks ago and filled in the online
version yesterday. I scored an 11 on the online version.

If this test were used as part of a professional evaluation I think it would be important
to understand the method of reasoning (an explanation) behind the responses. I provided detailed explains on my written test that were strictly based on the information presented in the examples. I think the test becomes meaningless if it doesn't provide a certain amount of containment of irrelevant outside experience.

Based on comments from other members it seems people had trouble differentiating their own personal reactions about situations and what they thought was acceptable or appropriate from the public at large.

When I responded the mindset I held was, If I have to take on the perspective of 'society at large' I'm going to assume people in the society are morally minded, considerate, and tolerant. With that perspective in hand, I did not select any responses indicating the behavior was ‘shocking’. All my responses were either A or B (fairly normal or rather strange).

The reason I did not label any of the behaviors shocking was the background information offered did not include references to malice or bad intent. I consider evil deeds shocking, though not out of the realm of what humans are capable of doing to each other. When a person acts with good intentions, even if their behavior seems out of the ordinary by someone else's standards, it does not mean the behavior is inherently eccentric.

Each of the questions included a framework, the first part described the point of origin or the stimulus for behavior (i.e. desire to protect someone from harm, desire a desire be honest, desire to alleviate potential suffering, desire to satisfy hunger or tiredness given an the opportunity to do so). The second part described the response. Assuming a very simple stimulus response model were in play, one could argue there was a rational basis for response behaviors because they were explicitly linked to the original stimuli.

Unfortunately rational behavior and acceptable behavior are often pitted against one another and acceptable behavior is often the victor. That is why people on the Austistic spectrum are generally misunderstood by those whose sole concern is to do what is acceptable in the eyes of others rather than doing what is reasonable given a particular set of circumstances.

wayward
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2006, 4:49 pm

The italics made some of the "normal" answers obvious. It seemed like by now, I was well-trained enough to know that some of the actions, e.g., touching the stranger's child, would get the person in trouble. But I could sort of understand their reasoning.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2006, 5:47 pm

I don't think that this tests anything at all useful. I managed to score a ridiculous 19 points, yet I'm pretty certain that my answers made sense both for me and the general population. Perhaps the score has been calculated wrongly by the page?

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:07 pm

My score 7, I think the test is dated for sure.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 10:44 am

I scored 12: indicative of social problems. My kids ask me why I have such weird friends. I'm like, "You think my friends are weird??" I don't get it. I think normal people are weird. (weird meaning displaying behavior that doesn't make sense)

aspiesmom1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jan 2006, 2:14 pm

I reviewed that test, ended up actually taking it just for kicks, and got a 6. (I am an alleged NT - my husband has his doubts but that's a story for another thread). I think what the test is testing for is "mindblindness" or that inability to see things from another person's perspective. I personally had a hard time not seeing it from the perspective of being one of the players (i.e. the guy *with* a comb in the elevator). BTW, I did have one or two that I chose as shocking.

I was wondering though if the author wrote these scenarios thinking these are the types of things an aspie would do? If so, I'm displeased with the test. While my son may not communicate well with the world at large on a one on one basis, he surely wouldn't curl up behind a stranger's couch or follow a girl around a store because she was breaking some silly rules.

lion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2006, 5:04 pm

I scored a 16.

The test just confused me, really.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 7:40 pm

toddjh wrote:
Plus, just because I'm autistic doesn't mean I can't learn from experience what other people will consider strange.

I said as much in my comment, which was something like: I know that asking to borrow a comb from a stranger bothers NT people because my mother taught me not to do that when I was a child. That doesn't mean I think it's wrong. If I knew the other person in the elevator was also an aspie then I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the comb. As long as they didn't have really disgusting hair, of course.

Oh, and I scored 13. Apparently I have social problems... :-)

betamaxx
Raven
Raven

11 Mar 2011, 5:26 am

score: 20
This is indicative for problems with social interpretation

very confusing

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:58 am

score: 6
This is not indicative for problems with social interpretation
ok then :P

manlyadam
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Mar 2011, 7:02 am

I got 11. I didn't really like the test I put normal for almost everything and rather strange for just a couple. I wouldn't say it was eccentric unless it said something like Roger 22 got out his AK-47 and started shooting at the Moon shouting die Moon die!

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 7:33 am

I scored 9. Apparently I have no social problems.

The real problem I had with this test is that at age 53, I have learned by trial and error and much embarrassment and confusion what 'normal' behavior is. These stories need to be age adjusted or even entirely different.

Another problem is when I was school age, some of those things I would never have even conceived of doing and would have had no context in which to decide normal or not normal. When I was school age I would have died before speaking up about eating habits. I NEVER would have followed somebody for ANY reason.

Strange set of stories if you ask me.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 11:14 am

Where's the test? I don't see it, the link you provided is about a study, but there is no test.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

11 Mar 2011, 11:30 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Where's the test? I don't see it, the link you provided is about a study, but there is no test.

On the left is a link saying English version.

My score: 14

I know I have "problems with social interpretation", but I thought the situations were pretty clear-cut. Never touch other people's babies! It's also not okay to invade a stranger's (or client's) home.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

score: 17
This is indicative for problems with social interpretation.

:huh:

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2011, 6:40 pm

I got a 9.