Page 5 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 9:03 am

Never typed in color before, but if I've no control over what becomes of my post...
Checked in here after a couple days away and was DISAPPOINTED instead of enthusiastic. Do not turn my words into excuses for ads, it's not okay. Thought site had been hacked.
Ads w/graphics slow down my dial-up. Text-only is fine, just keep them off to the side-I can re-size my window to push them out of view. Pop-ups are blocked, use Safari on my Mac. Neither willing nor able to do complicated procedures like changing my browser (no big deal to those who understand such things) in order to enjoy WP.
Am disturbed & displeased w/this current condition.

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2006, 9:19 am

I didn't even know that this site had intellitext on it! And I also have no idea how much banners it has. And I don't even waste bandwidth downloading those crap things, because my browser doesn't even download tham. And all that thanks to Adblock!

Here's a screenshot that shows how much it owns:

Here's my list of filters, that blocks almost everything from all sites:

Quote:
[Adblock]
*pagead*
*burstnet*
*fastclick*
*euros4click*
*phpAds*
*firstadsolution*
*intellitxt*
*sextracker*
*/ads/*
*advert*
*/ads.*
*/ad.*
*adknowledge*
*casalemedia*
*adframe*
*adserv*
*falkag*
*banman*
*screensaver.com*
*yimg.com/a/*
*tribalfusion*
*bidvertiser*
*popup*
*itsolutions.intuit.com*
http://us.geocities.com/js_source/div03.js
*belnk*
*.mid*
*bnr_*
*atdmt*
*doubleclick.net*
*overture*
*adsWrapper.js*
*/banners/*
*interclick.com*
*img.shopping.com*
*chitika.net*
*adbrite.com*
*cpmstar.com*
*banner.js*
*euroclick.com*
*clickboothlnk.com*

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2006, 10:03 am

Personally, I'm willing to pay a reasonable membership fee, but I wouldn't want all the ads. I've always kind of been offended by cable tv also. You pay through the nose for the service, and then are innundated by ads while you are viewing the content. Of course they don't have total control over what is seen by the subscriber, but my guess is that even if they could take out the ads they wouldn't.

The banner ads around the perimeter don't really bother me. As I've said before, I scroll down so fast that I hardly see them (although I suspect they are why the pages sometimes won't load). But I don'yt like the intellitext. It's confusing.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 10:57 am

here is the logical objection.
when i post i have no control over what turns into an add. i am not a sponsor for adhd treatments. guess i shouldn't use that word. or how about if i talked about my depression or body image problem or talked about some argument i had with some guy. how about if the argument was over a forum we were developing and i talked about the anxiety that resulted, or said that someone sent me chocolate. suppose i talked about my father's battle with prostate cancer and seeing him cry for the first time in my life?

the entire post would be corrupted with ads. i came here to get support, not to support some corporation that doesn't care how i felt when i made those posts. and FYI i already have made a contribution. it makes it hurt that much more.

i went back and took out the things that hurt the most to have advertising in.
i will check again but i have more and more limited hope as time passes.
i wouldn't call it a cesspool, but i cant call it home anymore either :cry:

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:04 am

Alex- is there any way it WOULD be possible to move the ad's to just random ads in the sigs and leave the rest alone? This has not been answered I think.

TheBladeRoden wrote:
I really haven't noticed them much at all.

HAHAHAHAHA

MindOfOrderedChaos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:08 am

hybrid wrote:
I didn't even know that this site had intellitext on it! And I also have no idea how much banners it has. And I don't even waste bandwidth downloading those crap things, because my browser doesn't even download tham. And all that thanks to Adblock!

Here's a screenshot that shows how much it owns:

[/quote]

KDE!! ! Linux user!
I use linux too. I havn't had to set up a add blocker properly yet my browser seems to be pretty effective at blocking adds out of the box. I wonder what distro you use?

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 11:27 am

The text ads are inapproproiate, alex. I just can't stress that to you enough. If nothing else they absolutely should not be found in haven or members only discussion. It's galling to see someone's plea for help turned into an advertisement.

I have no problem with ads as long as they 1) don't flash and are not animated, 2) don't show barely-dressed females, and 3) are not intruding into the text.

I really think you would get more clickthroughs if you had non-animated ads. You might be getting a lot of accidental clickthroughs now with the text ads, but it's due to deception. I find it impossible to read the messages that have had ads strewn through them.

hybrid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jan 2006, 11:54 am

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
I wonder what distro you use?

Archlinux. What distro do you use?

alex
Developer
Developer

28 Jan 2006, 1:47 pm

Serissa wrote:
Alex- is there any way it WOULD be possible to move the ad's to just random ads in the sigs and leave the rest alone? This has not been answered I think.

TheBladeRoden wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Yes, that would be easy

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 2:24 pm

alex wrote:
Serissa wrote:

TheBladeRoden wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Yes, that would be easy

I can't speak for the other members but if that would be a compromise that would still get money for WP but not interfere the actual reading of the text, I'd be all for that.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 3:08 pm

alex wrote:
Jetson wrote:
BTW, what does "newsgator.com" bring to WP? The only gator I've ever heard of is spyware. Is newsgator a replacement for doubleclick.net?
The link at the bottom of the page explains it.

Sorry for being dense... Which link? I see icons for Firefox, the copyright, you and Dan, Rojo, Google, Yahoo and then text links for RSS, privacy policy and "TV Wiki". There's one more for "forums (c)" that opens a pop-up window. If there was supposed to be anything in there I've already blocked it....

Kiss_my_AS
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2006, 5:22 pm

I use both Firefox 1.5 and IE6 and never saw one of those ads you guys are talking about (except for the 'sponsored by Google' that were on the side and above in the browser.). All the protection I have is a pop-up blocker (one for each browser) and a Internet Security client. Lastnamed component is probably the main reason for the non-appearance of the ads, and judging by the discussion the ads have raised I'm glad it's working like a charm.

Or am I wrong and does everybody has his personal Internet Security also set on oppression of ads/online commercials? If so, it's just as much of a mystery to me as it is to you.