Do people see you as a complete idiot or a complete genius?

Page 5 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

A lot of people saw me as a idiot and thought I was slow. At school people would call me slow because of my delayed reaction times. I would get comments like "Dude you're so slow" or Loh my god dude do you really take forever to think? I often feel distant from the world and I dose off into space or I have a blank expression on my face when I am called idiot. I am also depressed because of this and whenever I am called slow it makes it worse many of my peers had said I was slow but I am not so sure about that. I think that they are right that I have some kind of intellectual disability.

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

It's one or the other for me, never in between.

People who work with me, especially where it's something involving manual tasks, tend to think I'm dumb. This is especially true on lots of the movie sets I have catered on, there's no question that a lot of people think I'm a complete idiot. This stems from my inability to perform said manual tasks, such as setting up the tents or covering the tables with plastic wrap.

Anyone who gets into a two-way lengthy discussion with me about nearly anything tends to think I'm smart. Kind of like a human Wikipedia, I know things about everything and am very well-versed in politics and current events. ( :idea: I'm also one of those weirdos that knows every state capital. :)

*********************************************************************************************************************

Check out my IMDB page!

Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

I can be a complete idiot in some things like short term memory, and I can be a complete Genius in others like math for example. I love math and it comes easy for me granted I can make simple math errors cause i challenge myself to do it all in my head. Spelling is another area where I epically fail because well i just can't spell well lol.

slipacre
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2011, 6:58 am

both - socially for sure as something of an idiot and most definitely weird I have the definite impression that I somehow scare some people with my energy- a lot of my career was as computer guy and they expected me to be a little strange and I took advantage - even telling people that I acted strange because it made people think I was smart - and it got me out of some boring meetings.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 8:40 am

Both. It just depends on who. My parents see me as a complete idiot. My coworkers see me as a complete genius.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Aug 2011, 9:25 am

Both. I've had people who can't understand why I can't do something that comes naturally to them as well as people who are unreasonably impressed by what I consider to be minor achievements.

grindmonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2011, 9:35 am

online: an idiot, irl: relatively smart

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

19 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

persian85033 wrote:
Both. It just depends on who. My parents see me as a complete idiot. My coworkers see me as a complete genius.

lol, my parents see me as a complete genius while my coworkers see me as a complete idiot. This implies there's a single factor (or nearly a "single factor") that we both are opposite on.

Do your coworkers like you and your parents dislike you?

Most people seem to make little distinction between "idiot" and how much they dislike you.

(Then again, my coworkers are fellow computer scientists so 'the standards' are a bit higher in my situation.)

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

My coworkers like me because I can do my job quicker, and I can figure things out. My parents dislike me because of my special interests and I'm not smart in the things that matter, like having a lot of friends.

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

Depends on who I'm dealing with. If you're speaking to people who attend my presentations on autism and see me as an asset to the ASD community, I'm likely to be seen as bright and resourceful...and same goes with everyone I consider my friend. If you're talking to someone who judges me solely by my reaction times (i.e. some of my former co-workers) then to them, I am a complete dolt and 'don't listen'. I DO listen, it just takes me more time to process things than most people.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 12:30 am

idiot. i shouldn't be though since they say being smart is natural. i was once smart and now i am dumb. people point out things that i figured out at around the age of 12 or younger. I figured out that financially it would be better not to live in California because the cost of living there, despite having figured that out i still always come up with the idiotic idea of moving there some day.
I guess I can't let go of the image I have of there and the happiness it has brought me or that seeing how people really are here in the college life which has brought the idea of being in adult hood pretty sh***y. Also that education has ruined me and has opened me to see the real disgust in life. If those thoughts can ever be forget-ten and the thoughts of people look at me as a fool then I think happiness can be established, but maybe those thoughts are reality and need to be kept in mind.
I like to think talking about how awesome I am or was brings me happiness. Its actually pretty fun.

The struggle would be the drive or flight there. I usually get rushes of bad thoughts when driving, extreme regret and anger at people and myself for how my life has turned out so far and that I can never have my ex back which at the time brought me bliss, a feeling that can never be duplicated.

higgie
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

I have AS and my brother and sister know it. My brother thinks I have the highest IQ in the family. My sis once said I was "like a genius" because I have two advanced literary degrees and I'm multi-talented. But they both also think I'm stupid when it comes to practical matters. So it depends which area of life you're talking about. Creatively and intellectually, I shine. Practically, I have made some incredibly stupid mistakes.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 7:22 pm

Depends who I talk to. Mostly I'm just 'me'. :P

mglosenger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

People generally seem to think of me as smart. Sometimes I feel smart and sometimes I feel quite stupid. I used to be unwilling to 'show off' because I thought it would make me seem conceited, but I don't care as much about that anymore.

One thing too though, if people think you are smart, they will tend to expect more of you than if they think you aren't as smart. I think they figure it must be super easy for you, so it's no big deal. It's also possible they simply can't figure it out themselves. Being considered smart isn't all cookies & creme

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2011, 4:00 am

I act like an idiot most of the time because I laugh a lot and make dumb jokes, so they are always surprised when I do something smart or say something smart or use big words that they've never heard of, even though they're just words that I know.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2011, 6:56 am

It differs my way. In my case some people, the ones who bully me say Im dumb and I dont have the ability to be able to turn a computer on and that I am not capable in knowing anything at all. Then my friends and family say I am an intellegant, smart person and Mum constantly gets mad at me for pretending to be dumb.