Do you feel like the odd one out on Wrong Planet?

Page 5 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

Hi Bethanny, I DO want to know about your life. You have aroused my curiosity. I was nonverbal until age 5---an autistic person under the old definition of autistic. I'm relatively "okay" now.

Dear One: how could we give you some intellectual stimulation? I know I can't--because I'm not an engineer.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2018, 7:19 pm

I do understand that frustration. I left the first autistic forum I discovered because everyone was so much higher functioning than I. Compared to that forum, WP is a veritable haven of diversity. It's certainly lonely to struggle more than the general population and then come into a sequestered place reserved for like-minded people, only to find that you're still one of the outliers. At least there are many figures to look up to here. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than seeing someone with similar issues finding their niche in life and thriving. Independence still seems like a far-off thing to me, but WP has helped me come to grips with my situation and understand what I need to do to move forward in life. It's been invaluable.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Dear One: how could we give you some intellectual stimulation? I know I can't--because I'm not an engineer.

These days, I'm a lot more interested in Sociobiology than mechanical engineering. I was trying to get something going over on the Men's thread, but got no resonance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:28 pm

Not too many people go to the Men's Thread.

You'll do better with some of the people on PPR. You have some jerks there, though, who just want to create an argument.

And even in General Autism Discussion. There's lots of "sociobiology" being discussed there. After all, autism is biological---and it affects people socially.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:45 pm

Hey Goldilocks:

There are more "people of color" here than you think.

I'm a white guy who is married to a black person from Trinidad.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:50 pm

Kraftie, I did not know that! You rock! As does your wife!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:55 pm

I just wish she would understand me better.

She's one of those people who thinks I just "make excuses," and thinks I should make an attempt to be social.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:57 pm

i feel a bit wrong on being here as i don't have a diagnosis and i just found joined the forum because a friend [who his psychologist was investigating where he had or no aspergers] told me that he felt i could have it, he insisted that i seek psychological help because i struggle with lots of things, and actually this is something i heard all my life but never got it because my parents were against it. also, once long ago, i did an aspie quiz on internet and got a very high result, but i know isn't a reliable source. anyway, i found the forum searching about aspergers anyway and i liked it and decided to join. i hope you don't mind it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:03 pm

Anybody who has a positive view of autism is welcome here.

Alex is not out there asking for "proof" that one is autistic.

We have parents of autistic people, children of autistic people, friends of autistic people---you name it.

And we have many people who are "self-diagnosed" and are not officlally diagnosed.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:07 pm

anyway, sometimes i wanted to have some diagnosis because it would somehow make me feel like i belong to something or at least make me able to understand myself, i'm not sure what it is but i'm sure there is something really wrong with me :/ i just can't find professional help

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just wish she would understand me better.

She's one of those people who thinks I just "make excuses," and thinks I should make an attempt to be social.

That can be painful. Been there...

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 8:14 pm

People in the West Indies tend to be communal people, rather than people who value individuality.

She's fine in other ways; but she's always trying to browbeat me because she feels I lack "focus."

She always says, "Can't you get your head out of that tablet for even a moment?"

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 9:02 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
renaeden wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
i will say that this place has a lot more old folks than i expected when i signed up. there's been a few times that i feel like i'm the only one under 30 in a particular thread....granted, that hardly lasts, but eh.

there's several members on here that i didn't expect to be older women.

couple that with my all lowercase writing, tendency to spout nonsequiturs (shamed) and my general inexperience in everything and it's not at all surprising that many of my posts are seemingly completely disregarded.
I remember you from that avatar you had with the woman of a thousand expressions. Really glad you changed it.

I'm mostly an unknown here. I post but sometimes I feel they just get lost amongst others. Sometimes I'm a thread killer too.

this one?

Yep, that's the one! Couldn't help but watch it and be freaked out at the same time! :lol: That was very clever how you made it.

Last edited by renaeden on 02 Mar 2018, 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hi Bethanny, I DO want to know about your life. You have aroused my curiosity. I was nonverbal until age 5---an autistic person under the old definition of autistic. I'm relatively "okay" now.

My life is much more of a mess than you would read about typically on WP. It's like a spiders web of troubles. I would even be a bit embarrassed to admit all of it but I did do a rant months back ''spilling some tea'' out on things. But unfortunately since then, it's gotten so much worse.

I am now seeing a therapist because obviously telling people stuff on forums (venting) isn't quite enough. But I think I'm overwhelming the poor woman as I have had to recount both my childhood, teen years and everything that's been going on as an adult and it's pretty unusually heavy stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 10:46 pm

If you feel up to it, I wouldn’t mind “hearing” about it.

I would commiserate, definitely. And if this would be a catharsis for you, I’d be very glad.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 10:57 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Gazelle wrote:
Yes, but I often feel like the odd one out in general. Partly due to neurological differences, NVLD, and always the new kid since move every few years growing up and moved around as adult ( it’s all I know) and if live somewhere more than 3 Years it’s home:)

I wonder if 'always the new kid' is beneficial or a hindrance if you are on the spectrum?

”Always the new kid” has pros and cons. Didn’t know I had NVLD until an adult and so if it I didn’t move around every few years growing school and socializing as a kid wouldn’t have been a cake walk.