Page 5 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 2:28 pm

jimmy m wrote:

This is really a very interesting thought. Tony Grobmeier, the boy in the video, might be me, had I not learned the art of Speed Reading, which then lead me to read more than a hundred Hardy Boys books in high school. This then opened my ability to advance in high school and then go onto collage and become a successful Nuclear Physicist and Engineer.

Without this strange class that I took when I entered 9th grade, I might still be very much like Tony today. Tony is missing the part of the brain that connects the two halves of his brain, the Corpus Callosum. This region of the brain normally develops around the age of 10-12. In my case this may have been caused by a massive head injury when I was around age 3 or 4. I was knocked completely out and almost died when a large bull attacked me. As a result I may have developed a different structure in my brain called a Probst bundles. This is a unique connection in those individuals that do not exist in any other type of human/animal brains.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 5:10 pm

Lol .. the Hardy boys, :D , I read the entire Nancy Drew series . In my early teens. Wish , I had taken the speed reading course offered do 30 yrs ago to me. But did look over a book on the topic in a sketchy manner .
But enough that I was practically reading entire paragraphs at a time . But found I was quite worried about retention.
Then later found that when I read for pleasure ,Fiction based on real life adventures but fictional characters . Enjoyed savoring the words and description of various circumstances . Periodically , I still word read paragraphs at a time if it did not appeal to my sense of taste in literature. Contracts and document or agreements , I lean towards examining the wording and it’s intent , in reference to the entire body of the agreement or document.
Am glad you have been able to get some possible understanding of your own brain in this research you have been doing and posting.. Found the vid to cause me to have as many questions about myself as the great info. I get from it …….. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 6:43 pm

Jakki

It is interesting how important reading skills are. You can only appreciate their importance after losing them. After my stroke all my words would disintegrate right before my eyes. I was able to get some of my reading back but it is a slow work in progress. But I tend to think that many individuals who suffer stroked are not able to. It took a lot of effort on my part to rebuild this skill.

The other strange thing about the stroke was that I lost my ability to read but not my ability to write. Apparently they reside in two different parts of the brain.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 7:38 pm

This is a picture from almost a half century ago. It is a photograph of the girl who became my wife. I could never figure out the dating scene so I took a different approach and traveled to the other side of the world to find her and then successfully brought her back. I am an extreme introvert and she is an extreme extrovert. But this marriage really worked. It is like a Yin and Yang structure.

And it also shows a photo of my car. A 426 hemi cuda. One of the fastest (accelerating) cars in the world at that time. It was like driving a rocket ship.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 9:10 pm

That is very odd about writing but not reading …….. interesting that different parts of the brain might be involved, As
I recall you did say their was some visual issues around your stroke .. Makes me wonder if the eye itself might not be communicating what you see correctly ?
It is very romantic that you travelled as you did to find your wife…. And the relationship does sound quite ideal
Your reference to be equating it , to a Ying And Yang type interaction . Congradulations on such a find.

And btw , did grow up around hotrodders in my teen as well as my husbands hobby later in life when I married .
So yes , I have come to appreciate , factory hot rods thanks to my upbringing . Knew of Mopar products and there efforts , possibly, I can presume it had a 426 hemi, in your hemi cuda , Not a 440 car ,Possibly a 4 spd tranny. Yes a Rocket . You had good taste in cars back in those days :D Be worth a fortune today.
Oddly enough was more a fan of GM products. Pontiac GTO came into my possession in my teens , due to a Mustang owner person needing money to build his car. Received quite a unexpected education thanks to boyfriends circle of friends . :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 8:38 am

They are predicting 11 inches of snow for Thursday. Time to get the large snow blower ready. And then comes the hard part - try to figure out how to use it after my loss of memory from the stroke.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 8:40 am

Instinct will probably take over, Jimmy.

Sometimes, I might forget how to do something.....but my bodily motions might "remind me" of how to do something. Sort of like "muscle memory."

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 8:54 am

Interesting observations. Welcome back!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:30 am

Jakki wrote:
That is very odd about writing but not reading …….. interesting that different parts of the brain might be involved, As
I recall you did say their was some visual issues around your stroke .. Makes me wonder if the eye itself might not be communicating what you see correctly ?

I suffered 3 levels of vision loss. I managed to get 2 levels back and the third is a work in progress. From what I am told, the vision loss is not in the eyes but rather it is a disconnect between the eyes and the brain.
After the stroke, I also lost my ability to read. But I have regained much of that loss, but I am still slow.
And I have lost much of my knowledge of many words. Many came back but some are lost forever and I will have to relearn if I want to rebuild.
There are probably other losses, such as how things work that may or may not have been lost.

Jakki wrote:
It is very romantic that you travelled as you did to find your wife…. And the relationship does sound quite ideal
Your reference to be equating it , to a Ying And Yang type interaction . Congradulations on such a find.

Thanks.

Jakki wrote:
And btw , did grow up around hotrodders in my teen as well as my husbands hobby later in life when I married .
So yes , I have come to appreciate , factory hot rods thanks to my upbringing . Knew of Mopar products and there efforts , possibly, I can presume it had a 426 hemi, in your hemi cuda , Not a 440 car ,Possibly a 4 spd tranny. Yes a Rocket . You had good taste in cars back in those days :D Be worth a fortune today.

I have seen some of them on the market for over a million dollars today. But then your priorities change when you get married and have children.

Jakki wrote:
Oddly enough was more a fan of GM products. Pontiac GTO came into my possession in my teens , due to a Mustang owner person needing money to build his car. Received quite a unexpected education thanks to boyfriends circle of friends . :D

It is funny how things work. I would never had the pleasure of owning such an unbelievable car except my friend who did the research and bought it moved to U.C. Berkeley and began living with people who had no appreciation for fast cars.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Instinct will probably take over, Jimmy.

Sometimes, I might forget how to do something.....but my bodily motions might "remind me" of how to do something. Sort of like "muscle memory."

I think you might be right.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 9:51 am

I had bariatric surgery several years ago and lost over a hundred pounds of weight as a result. I was active on the website and for several years I was one of its reviewers. But since my stroke, I have been offline. But I still get their admin queries. I just received this one about one of the posters:

I think this person doesn’t realise she’s not wearing underpants in the bottom picture??

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 10:49 am

jimmy m wrote:
I had bariatric surgery several years ago and lost over a hundred pounds of weight as a result. I was active on the website and for several years I was one of its reviewers. But since my stroke, I have been offline. But I still get their admin queries. I just received this one about one of the posters:

I think this person doesn’t realise she’s not wearing underpants in the bottom picture??

Lololololzzzz… cute…. Silly but cute :) , ,,,, 3 inches of snow expected here Tuesday Night ..
Best of luck with the snow blower .! :ninja:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 12:38 pm

When I woke up this morning, my brain was racing. So it might have been my REM brain hard at work. It was trying to explain to me that the difference between normal brains and the REM brain was gigantic. The REM brain is huge. It tried to give some examples using a series of questions (for which it knows the answers).

What occurred before the Big Bang? I have a pretty good idea.

What is the size of the universe? Hint: Its many times larger than what most scientist think.

What occurred around 13,000 years ago that almost spelled the end of the human race?

What will occur soon, perhaps a couple hundred years that will cause a massive die-off? Hint - watch the strength of the earth's magnetic field?

What role did man play in creating the COVID pandemic?

Why is the human population so utterly insane?

Who is Peter Pan? The young children knew a hundred years ago. I sometimes think that the younger generation may not even know who Peter Pan is. Is it some kind of big trash can?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:28 pm

They are predicting 11 inches of snow for Thursday. As a result, I went out and got my large snow blower working. It is a fairly complicated apparatus. But once I started working it, the steps seemed to come back to me. When I started it, the blower ran a little rough at the beginning. But soon the motors began to warm up and BECAME ALIVE.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:30 pm

That's the way things tend to go for me.

It's rather like re-learning how to ride a bike.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2022, 3:39 pm

Hooray… nothing like being prepared for a snowy future ..Yaaay for good working brains !