Page 6 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:51 pm

Zen wrote:
Again, this web site has a very skewed representation of the world. I can guarantee you that people where my family immigrated from are not sitting around discussing mental disorders on the internet. That is the case for a huge part of the world.

Scientific literature can't find evidence that autism is more prevalent in specific ethnic groups.
I think , however, socio-demographics may skew the representation of people of European stock on WP. I have read that the cost of diagnosis means that ethnic communities represented in poorer socio-demographic groups may choose not to diagnose their children.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 10:52 pm

double post

Last edited by cyberdad on 16 May 2011, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:12 pm

I'm caucasian. My ancestors come from Eastern Europe, Germany and the British Isles.
It's hard to know for sure since people moved around a lot and invaded so I am going to say European with maybe a tiny bit of tatar or something like that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2011, 11:19 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I'm caucasian. My ancestors come from Eastern Europe, Germany and the British Isles.
It's hard to know for sure since people moved around a lot and invaded so I am going to say European with maybe a tiny bit of tatar or something like that.

This could help you quantify your genetic inheritance
https://genographic.nationalgeographic. ... ipate.html

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 1:38 am

Scottish and Native American (mostly Creek) on my dad's side, English and Native American on my moms side, with a dash of German and French thrown in for flavor.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 2:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

This could help you quantify your genetic inheritance
https://genographic.nationalgeographic. ... ipate.html

I think those genetic tests look fascinating. I'd love to try them.

These people could probably get some benefit from a test like that too. They are Chinese, but their village has nearly two thirds of its DNA of caucasian origin, and the people believe they are descended from Roman troops from c2000 years ago.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... diers.html

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 2:46 am

My family comes from Eastern Prussia and Silesia (what today is the Polish west). Part of my maternal family comes from Poland, and my maternal grandfather was adopted. His father (the biological one) was a travelling salesman (go figure) from far eastern Europe, and was likely from eastern European (Sinti and Romanies) and Mongolian descent. I do not know that much about my paternal line, but I know that my father's family has resided in Berlin for quite a time. The only thing I know that my paternal family came from nothern Europe some time ago (I have been told that I have some very distant relatives in Sweden).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 5:11 am

Henbane wrote:
I think those genetic tests look fascinating. I'd love to try them.

Yeah it's great, all you need to provide is a cheek scraping, no blood required.

Henbane wrote:
These people could probably get some benefit from a test like that too. They are Chinese, but their village has nearly two thirds of its DNA of caucasian origin, and the people believe they are descended from Roman troops from c2000 years ago.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... diers.html

I saw a documentary on this community some years ago, but this story is a nice update so thank's for the link.
It's highly unlikely they are actually descended from Romans. Italians are quite Mediteranean in appearance and after 2000 yrs of intermarriage the "caucasian" genes would start to vanish. It's more likely the Romans used Parthian or Sythian mercenaries from from central Asia who are extinct but records show they were quite fair haired and there would have been large numbers living on the borderlands near China involved in trade. Following the end of the silk route trade populations of Sythians or Parthians already living in China would have settled and mixed with other groups like Turks and Mongolians.

The story of a small band of Roman soldiers heroically forming a little island of Europe in China is a little too far fetched and romantic.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2011, 7:59 pm

1/2 German, 1/4 Irish. The rest I am not sure.

Zitanier
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2011, 2:23 am

100% Greek. My mother is from a city while my father is a redneck.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 2:30 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Yeah I know if you have British, Irish, or Scottish blood you most likely also have Italian, French, and Danish blood as well. Italians and Danes probably have a little bit of everything since their ancestors were warlike peoples who took slaves from the people they invaded or raided.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 2:47 am

Zitanier wrote:
100% Greek. My mother is from a city while my father is a redneck.

Do Greek men get red necks?

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 5:38 am

Mostly Irish/Scottish with a dash of English and a small dusting of French. I have a very Irish look however.

J87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2011, 7:18 am

50% English
50% Greek

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 1:39 pm

3/4 Scottish,1/4 English. Further back there's some Irish,Anglo-Indian,Lithuanian and Norman if you go really far.

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2011, 7:19 pm

I am not sure about the percentages for my ancestry. All I know is that I am mostly English (from my father's side of the family) and part Irish (from my mother's side of the family).