Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Sapient
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Apr 2011, 5:41 pm

I come across this test just recently, after being diagnosed with HFA. I am wondering if a high score in the eye reading test absolutely excludes and Autism diagnosis, as they suggest. It seems likely that an autistic person's brain could, for whatever reason, break down micro-expressions in such a mechanical way that it becomes a very Autistic trait, instead of the excluder. Anyway, I scored a 32 and have found an interesting pattern to the ones I missed.

-Sap

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 3:24 pm

Sapient wrote:
I am wondering if a high score in the eye reading test absolutely excludes and Autism diagnosis, as they suggest. It seems likely that an autistic person's brain could, for whatever reason, break down micro-expressions in such a mechanical way that it becomes a very Autistic trait, instead of the excluder.

Yes, I agree. The first time I saw this test, I had a hard time with it. Now, I´ve seen this test and variations of it, and, upon learning about AS, I´ve also read some books about facial expressions, etc. I notice that I´ve become much better at this kind of thing, and I bet I could score quite high now. The times I took tests of this sort, my scores got progressively higher. In other words, I´ve learned how to do it well.

Unfortunately, I notice that when I watch dvds, I still often feel like I´m missing a lot of what´s going on non-verbally. So becoming good at a freeze-face test didn´t necessarily help me in regular, moving situations. Not to mention real life situations..... :(

throat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2011, 4:21 pm

23, and i thought i was doing quite well.

but there were a few where i thought the eyes were the complete opposite to the options listed. Like there was one set that looked "playfull/happy" but my options were something like shy,angry,depresed and thoughtful.

Side note: I also dont have any form of autism.

(I'm on this site because i find it interesting, so sorry for lurking)

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 5:16 am

throat wrote:
23, and i thought i was doing quite well.

but there were a few where i thought the eyes were the complete opposite to the options listed. Like there was one set that looked "playfull/happy" but my options were something like shy,angry,depresed and thoughtful.

Side note: I also dont have any form of autism.

(I'm on this site because i find it interesting, so sorry for lurking)

Welcome , Throat! I suspect a lot of the posters here started as lurkers. I know I did. I doubt anyone minds.

I scored a 34 of 36. Like previous people posting, I am good at tests, especially multiple choice. Also, I am less skillful in person than looking at photos. I first noticed this after attending a memorial service (like a wake without alcohol) during which I did not notice the sad faces until I got home and looked at the photos I took. I was amazed at the degree of sadness in the photos, since I had no idea during the event.

whalewatcher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Apr 2011, 5:51 am

I did quite well on this test when I did it a while ago. However I wonder if that was because I've seen so many facial expressions on TV, magazines, cartoons etc.

If I had to judge them based on my own real interactions with people I'm not sure I would have got many of them.

Also, if there were no multiple choice answers I would have really struggled to find a description for most of them.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

27 Apr 2011, 11:20 am

Sapient wrote:
I come across this test just recently, after being diagnosed with HFA. I am wondering if a high score in the eye reading test absolutely excludes and Autism diagnosis, as they suggest. It seems likely that an autistic person's brain could, for whatever reason, break down micro-expressions in such a mechanical way that it becomes a very Autistic trait, instead of the excluder. Anyway, I scored a 32 and have found an interesting pattern to the ones I missed.

-Sap

The correlation between an official Asperger's Diagnosis and this test was below .3 in my study, meaning it's not highly associated. In other words, you could very well be an aspie but do well on this test.

IceCreamGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 4:12 pm

I got 23.

You'd think Aspies would get low scores on this test, but it seems like our scores are about average.

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

I scored a 17. I need to get out more , and also study facial expressions.

Goose25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

Yikes! 20

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

swbluto wrote:
Sapient wrote:

-Sap

The correlation between an official Asperger's Diagnosis and this test was below .3 in my study, meaning it's not highly associated. In other words, you could very well be an aspie but do well on this test.

I kind of wondered if there is a correlation between picking up body language and overall emotionality. I mean I'm a very moody and high strung person. I notice very easily in others the things I am sensitive to myself. It's not that hard for me to pick it up when someone is slightly uncomfortable or annoyed because I almost feel it myself. I think people who are more emotionally detached themselves might not notice moods in others as easily.

deadinhead
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

20. :( uh oh

COCONUT-MOON TURTLE!

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

I scored 22.

But I don't really like this test - I suspect I scored higher on this test than I would in real life because it was multiple choice.

If I looked at the eyes first I would analyse, come up with an answer was and then see that answer was not on the list and get stumped...

But I noticed that if I read the options first and then looked at the eyes, I was more likely to get it correct by a process of elimination.

In real life we don't get a list of 4 emotions to choose from; it could be anything. Given my responses when I didn't look at the answers first, I really don't stand much of a chance of getting it right in real life.

I'll stick with looking away, or watching the mouth, and analysing the words instead, thank you very much. I stand just as much chance that way, I think.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

I only got a 14 and I literally guessed on most of the questions. To be honest I can't believe I even got that high! I just don't read people.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 5:04 pm

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 1:35 am

I got 28. Interesting test!

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

34 - well above average and now wondering if I'm going to get an AS diagnosis!