Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

30 May 2009, 3:04 pm

I often sit in my room and practise smiles, frowns, sad faces etc.
does anyone else do this?
and do you think it helps out in the real world?
or does it just make you look weird with exagerated fake expressions.

Justin.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2009, 3:22 pm

I did this on days I knew I was going to have a picture of myself taken, because whenever I had one taken I felt as if I didn't know how to make a smile. I'd of course go find a mirror, make what appears to be an "acceptable" smile, and try to remember that position for the photo.

I'd probably do it again for my next photo too.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 3:35 pm

Sure! Helped plenty for me.

I practised in front of a mirror too, bit like, 1-5 minutes daily.

At one time, I just looked at the mirror and thought I should smile to express the happiness I felt at that moment. I'm usually about happy/content/something along these lines. That's when I got the idea to practise.

I don't so this anymore though.

I about reached the maximum possible at the moment and my facial muscles hurt too much from screwing up my face anyway.

Smiles and laughs are good and refreshing, but everything else is taking a toll on me actually.

If I frown twice my face hurts, literally haha

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 4:10 pm

I don't do this, but maybe I should try. My facial expressions are quite flat and I sometimes attempt to compensate, but when doing this, I worry they might be too exaggerated.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 4:21 pm

I have trouble smiling in pictures. I look creepy and fake when I'm forced to hold a smile too long. The smaller facial muscles needed to make a smile look natural tire too quickly if I'm not genuinely happy. I think that's my problem anyways. The only way to practice is to attempt to artificially conjure up a happy feeling. NT's are better at that than I am, especially NT women.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 4:33 pm

This reminds me of a scene from the Addams Family movie.

You know, where someone wants little Wednesday to smile. So she does.

The one who wanted her to smile shockedly replies, "That's disturbing ... "

So go ahead. Ask me to smile ... :twisted:

~~ the phoenix

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 May 2009, 5:04 pm

I used to practice expressions a lot, as well as anticipated social encounters. I have no idea how I come across, though. I have been told that I look scary, if forced to smile. :?

mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:05 pm

I do actually do that as well, I'm not sure if it helps me. It makes me feel quite comfortable. :)

"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:21 pm

I practice facial expressions in the mirror. I've always put it down to narcissism. :lol:

The year is still young.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:36 pm

I do, but not regularly. Don't know of how much use it has been. However, I can say that I can express most things with my eyes now. Still can't really integrate much of the rest of the face with it though.

30 May 2009, 8:55 pm

I like to imitate facial expressions I have seen.

MrKnott
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2009, 9:42 pm

When I was in third grade, I teacher, a sweet old lady who meant no harm, said, "Why don't you ever smile? My cat smiles more than you do." My thought was something like "I've got f-all to smile about, lady," but worse it was the first time I noticed that people looked at me. I spent some time trying smiles, but gave it up--it hurt my face and looked horrible. I still can't manage more than what looks like a smirk. Like to look in the mirror, though. Not vain, but just amazed: Who the hell is that?

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 9:56 pm

A smile has nothing to do with the mouth, and that is why a lot of aspies look weird when they smile.... They force it from the mouth... Facial expressions are primarily about the eyes, and the muscles around them. Learn to use your eyes for facial expression, and the rest of the face will naturally follow, and it will look more normal.

30 May 2009, 10:39 pm

No wonder I look stupid in my photos. I censor my pictures online. If I look stupid in it, I don't show it but sometimes I do. I show the good ones if I think I look good in it. Few people have told me online that in one of my photos it looked like I was forcing a smile and I should think of something that makes me happy so my smile is real. Few of my school pictures look bad because of my smiles. 6th grade was the worst I scribbled out my face in my year book eventually. In 7th grade, I looked conceited, not smiling even though I thought I was smiling. In 8th grade, I skipped getting my school pictures. But in high school mine still weren't good but I think my senior picture was the best. My smile looked good in it. I think I have posted it here in 2006 when I first joined.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2009, 10:26 am

Yes, I do.

AJCoyne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 May 2009, 10:32 am

I practise a lot. Drama was always my favourite subject, that may have something to do with it. Don't know how practical this is in the real world, though? If I'm ever in a social situation where I don't know what to say, I tend to go through my photographic memory and find a similar situation from a movie/game/etc...then I quote something word for word, with the actions and everything. Of course, this looks a little bit silly and melodramatic if I am repeating something from Final Fantasy where the characters are resticted to odd, jerky, repeated motions... :?