Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 4:26 am

So, I've been trying to think of a clear and simple way to describe autism to people who don't understand it, (not to say that I fully understand, which is why I'm making this post..) and this is the best I've come up with so far. It applies to me, and I want to see if it sounds true for other ASD people. So, if you can't tell from the title, this is what I was thinking:
Most people are born with instincts - automated systems in their brain - but ASD people seem to be born (assuming we're born with it, which I know may or may not be true, but whatever) with a number of instincts missing, so they have to figure out how to manually operate their own brain. (To varying degrees, depending on where they are on the spectrum.)

How's that sound to you guys?

I want to be able to tell this to parents who want to "cure" their kids, LOL. D:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 5:07 am

Now that is a good way of describing it :) . NT=automatic, Autistic=manual. I wish I'd thought of that!

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 5:28 am

Yea I like it too.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 5:48 am

Love it!

I-ron_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 5:48 am

Ye i agree, i have often described myself as not having much of a subconscious

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 5:49 am

Sweet, thanks guys. ;D

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:01 am

It depend what it is you are talking about. NT=automatic, Autistic=manual is fairly nondescript way of looking t it. Executive dysfunction cna make things less automated for sure, but then again people who are savant (and I'm not saying all are) that is a prime example of automation in cognition. Basically cognition is highly automated as it is. ASD individual may actually turn out be more automated, however there is no reason to assume one way or the other.

So really I don't think that definition works in general. You might say it is a different mix of what is automated and what is less so.

Short of 'neurological difference'. There is no a simple answer. You might mention inherent social behaviours in NT, that they take for granted.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:11 am

This applies to social stuff.
I seem to have MORE instincts than the average NT person in other areas (specifically: maths, science and music), though. I don't have to think about things that would keep other people busy for hours.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 6:28 am

That's a very good way of describing it. It exemplifies how ASD people have to consciously work out certain social rules that normally would be instinctual for NTs.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 8:53 am

Well, it's catchy...

I would agree with Eller: only true for social situations. Also, things that are manual can eventually become automatic. If you actually were using the transmission analogy (not sure if you were), I agree with this a bit more. Learning to drive stick takes a whole lot of conscious thought at first, but after awhile, driving a manual is automatic.

hostilebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 9:52 am

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Well, it's catchy...

I would agree with Eller: only true for social situations. Also, things that are manual can eventually become automatic. If you actually were using the transmission analogy (not sure if you were), I agree with this a bit more. Learning to drive stick takes a whole lot of conscious thought at first, but after awhile, driving a manual is automatic.

But driving manual can wear you out much faster than driving an automatic.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:22 am

yes, i liked it straight away (i've never driven an automatic), but i don't think there's any simple analogy or metaphor that explains it to NTs. i think i've stopped trying. where i live everyone is half crazy anyway, it just took me a long time to find such a place.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:27 am

hostilebanana wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
Well, it's catchy...

But driving manual can wear you out much faster than driving an automatic.

...but the mpg is higher? Repairs are less expensive?

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 10:34 am

I like this analogy.

I drive stick shift of the mind.

I also prefer manual cars...

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Ford_Prefect
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2009, 10:58 am

Your description is very similar to my meaning how to make clear my problems which I have among people:
I am feeling like pilot of aircraft in dark night. Others pilots are using autopilot but my autopilot is defective and it's unable to handle some situations. I know it and I must switch it off and begin to fly manually using instruments - but some instruments are also defective, some of them has only three lights marked "+","neutral" and "-" instead of instrument dial...

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2009, 11:06 am

It doesn't really do much for the sensory aspect of things. For that, it's more filtered vs. unfiltered input. NTs selectively forget most of what they experience; autistic people forget less. That means you're easily overwhelmed, detail-oriented, and experience things very intensely.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com